Resource Supercoach & Dreamteam Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

I only really play Supercoach myself, but I'd say the MFC have a few options that are worth considering - unlike previous years.

At this early stage, these are the players I think are worthy of consideration at least;

Defenders
Lumumba ($417,000) - not many defensive options in SC this year and 'H' could spend plenty of time in our midfield. Speculative, at best. IMO he's more likely to fill Frawley's role. Never really been a great SC scorer and much better options in that price bracket (like Docherty).
Grimes ($398,000) - could go either way, but with limited defensive options Grimes could tempt at sub 400k. No chance in hell. He just can't stay on the park, pure and simple. In seven seasons of AFL has only played one full season.

Mids

N Jones ($581,200) - could some help in the middle and a rise up the ladder increase his output to elite? Unlikely to increase his output by too much and again, a lot better options at that price range. Jobe Watson is 10k cheaper??
Tyson ($506,200) - everyones favourite breakout player last year and could step up again at this price. Possibly an option. I'd rather Brad Crouch as a speculative at that price, but could understand people backing Tyson in.
Viney ($399,600) - gaining the tank and size to lift this year, and could tempt at sub 400k. Faded away towards the end of the year. Being paid a lot more attention by the opposition and not really having the impact he had initially. Certainly one to watch, but I'd rather jump on a few rounds late than pick to start with and get burnt.
Brayshaw ($212,300) - ready to go high draft pick who will play games. Expensive for a rookie. Agree he'll score well, but it would depend if you want to make cash or think he's a keeper for the entire year. If you're picking him for cash, better off picking up a cheaper rookie for mine.
Newton ($215,000) - mature aged recruit who Port were keen to retain, one to watch during NAB. Same as Brayshaw really.
Vandenburg(r) - mature age recruit and SC scoring machine in the EANFL, one to watch for rookie promotion. IMO best value for Melbourne, assuming he is promoted

Rucks
Gawn ($339,800) - injury risk, but ready to take the number 1 ruck role and good for a mark and goal. Also comes as a forward - tempting price indeed. No chance. Only three Ruck spots this year - can't entertain selecting a 339k second ruck.

Forwards
Hogan (130,400) - could be in more sides than Gary Jnr this year. The only LOCK on the Dees list. Agreed. Can't look over him at that price.
Salem ($185,000) - a season in, and with his tackling and disposal efficiency will surely deliver at this price if he gets a regular spot. Was keen as mustard on him last year, but struggled a lot to find the ball and went missing for large patches in matches. Like Viney, I'd prefer to wait and see rather than get burnt.
JKH ($235,700) - showed a lot in year 1, and has impressed with his increased running in the preseason. Could be ready for a midfield role. Waaaaaay to expensive for a speculative pick, especially when you have better options 80k cheaper.
Petracca ($217,300) - big arsed beast of a high draft pick who takes marks, kicks goals and gets plenty of contested footy through the middle. Having done his ACL obviously no longer an option, but wouldn't have taken him anyway

My thoughts above on options mentioned.

Best advice I can give everyone is to leave your natural bias at the front door. If the player you are looking at starting with had a Richmond, or Carlton, or Fremantle jumper on, would you still select them, or are you selecting them because you are excited by the potential you think they might fulfill at Melbourne??

With league matches starting in Round 2, initial team selection has never been move critical.

Last edited:
Is Toumpas a worthwhile selection for RDT considering this article or is it a fluff piece?
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-02-10/roos-backs-toumpas-to-make-impact
Produced the same output last year as McGinnity, Melksham, Bugg, Thurlow, Robertson, Curren, Gleeson and McAffer.

The golden SuperCoach rule should always be: don't select someone priced between 220k and 450k unless they have A/ been injured the previous year or B/ have proven they are capable of high scores and have played 90% of available matches the previous year.

I fancy both Brayshaw and Newton as cheap mids, but then risk problems on your bye round. Any clues as to who will be the better option from either a points average or cash cow viability ? Thanks in advance and good luck for the season.

I fancy both Brayshaw and Newton as cheap mids, but then risk problems on your bye round. Any clues as to who will be the better option from either a points average or cash cow viability ? Thanks in advance and good luck for the season.

Newton was on the fringe of getting a game at the power so you can assume he is fairly fit, he is also 22 and a left footer which is something we lack on field
Newton is a good chance of playing 22 games this year for us where as Brayshaw is likely to be a little in and out of the team and managed

If only take either of them if they play really well in the NAB.

Job security will be an issue for both of them I reckon.

I think for most people, Newton would be slightly ahead of Brayshaw at this point though.

Hi to all you Demon supporters, hope you have a good season. My wife has created an All Female Fantasy League hoping to generate some rivalry between female footy fans, so if there are any Female Demon supporters willing to have a go and join up, the invite code is X7KT96T3.

For me Hogan a lock at this stage. Salem next closest and I'll watch him carefully during pre season. If he locks in a position at half back he'll be in my team.
Brayshaw and Newton may go ok but at this stage I'll look at cheaper rookies.
Stretch could be one to watch only 117k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan may take a while to warm up but I think it would be better to be safe than sorry. He's pretty much a lock.
Drugs. You're on some good ones.

The established KPFs were an epic fail this year, and you want to lock in a rookie playing forward for the worst team of the last decade??

All of a sudden, whadda ya know..
Hogan (130,400) - could be in more sides than Gary Jnr this year. The only LOCK on the Dees list. Agreed. Can't look over him at that price.
Clearly you chose to partake in some of my awesome drugs. Good s**t huh?

I also wouldn't rubbish the possible inclusion of Gawn in the forwardline as a DPP ruck cover. Unless you are choosing to invest in a decent and reliable sub.

43589-kelso-burn-SasB.png

Hi all,

Picked up Howe late in our live draft, what can I expect from him?
May miss the first round or two due to injury over pre-season.
How he goes will depend on where he plays. Down back he is a handy loose so can get decent numbers (~15 disposals, a fair few marks, a few tackles maybe).
Up forward he's a bit more inconsistent. Can get a goal or two each week, but has games where he does stuff all else. As exciting as he can be, he's a fairly low numbers player, though for a late pick can at least offer you a couple of weeks of good scores.
What game is it? (SC/UF/DT?)

May miss the first round or two due to injury over pre-season.
How he goes will depend on where he plays. Down back he is a handy loose so can get decent numbers (~15 disposals, a fair few marks, a few tackles maybe).
Up forward he's a bit more inconsistent. Can get a goal or two each week, but has games where he does stuff all else. As exciting as he can be, he's a fairly low numbers player, though for a late pick can at least offer you a couple of weeks of good scores.
What game is it? (SC/UF/DT?)

Thanks for that! it's SC draft :)

Not hugely familiar with SC scoring, but isn't 'marks from opposition kicks' worth a decent amount? If so Howe could be good playing down back as a sweeper/3rd man up.

Contested marks are worth little (courtesy of the likes of Joel Bowden, etc) but contested marks are much more valuable. Can't remember the actual numbers though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back