Sport The Hangar Cycling Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

I got a bike 3 weeks ago because I was talked into a challenge. I have to ride an event next Sunday, which is 90kms, and I have never ridden a bike since I was a kid. Anyway, I got a bike an Azzurri Pavia, so it's not the greatest bike but it will do.

I have been for 4 rides on it since, the longest being 35kms, the others 25 kms. I seem to be improving pretty well, but I dont feel like I have 90kms in me.

I am not overly fit per say, but I am in reasonable shape. I'm 6"1' about 88kgs at approx 15% body fat. I used to be a cardio freak due to playing footy, but I lost interest when life took over, but I have experience in pushing myself when I need to.

There's the history. What I need to know, as a cycling novice, what can I do to make this possible? What is the best way to prepare myself to do this in 1 week? Any training/diet/other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Hangar crew :)

What's tapering? I'm a noob, sorry :(

No time limit that I'm aware of, but I dont want to be out there forever. I want to do it as quickly as I can. I'm told that every 20 kms there are feeding stations, but I wouldnt know what to avoid or how much to consume. Ive taken this on with no research or planning. I'm an idiot!

What's tapering? I'm a noob, sorry :(

No time limit that I'm aware of, but I dont want to be out there forever. I want to do it as quickly as I can. I'm told that every 20 kms there are feeding stations, but I wouldnt know what to avoid or how much to consume. Ive taken this on with no research or planning. I'm an idiot!

To be honest, 90k shouldn't be that hard. There is no time limit, so unless there are some serious hills you should just be able to plod along at your own pace and finish pretty easily.

I have a Giant hybrid that I bought maybe two years ago that was between $400 and $500. Has served me really well.
It's called a Cypress DX.
Cypress-DX-Black.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the difference between a hybrid and a road bike?
I think it's part road bike, part mountain bike.

Hybrid bicycles blend characteristics from more specialized road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes.[1] The resulting "hybrid" is a general-purpose bike that can tolerate a wide range of riding conditions and applications. Their stability, comfort and ease of use make them popular with beginner cyclists, casual riders, commuters, and children.

Hybrids typically borrow the flat, straight handlebars and upright seating posture of a mountain bike, which many beginning bicyclists find comfortable and intuitive. Hybrids also employ the lighter weight, thinner wheels and smooth tires of road bikes, allowing for greater speed and less exertion when riding on the road. Hybrid bikes often have places to mount racks and bags for transporting belongings, much like a touring bike.

Hybrid bikes have spawned numerous sub-categories satisfying diverse ridership. They are classified by their design priorities, such as those optimized for comfort or fitness — and those offered as city, cross or commuter bikes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_bicycle

Googled it to make sure.

Jack Borbidge wins the Australian Road Race Title after riding nearly 100kms solo.

Tour Down Under starts 19-24 January, then the Cadel Evans Road race 30-31 January and then the Herald Sun Tour 3-7 February..

Ah - Just realised this thread - Expect plenty of posts in the upcoming posts.

Oh you better not do a yaco all up in here......
Jack Borbidge wins the Australian Road Race Title after riding nearly 100kms solo.

Tour Down Under starts 19-24 January, then the Cadel Evans Road race 30-31 January and then the Herald Sun Tour 3-7 February..

Whoah.

Slow down.

Such an epic ride.

Who do you reckon wins? Hope it's Valverde but it's probably Nibali.

Have not really checked the starting list of riders but Nibali always tough to beat in Italy. Valverde does not quite have legs for grand tours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back