Review Round 1 2016 St Kilda vs Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Gilbert's game was underrated. An absolute beast in the middle. 27 touches, 5 tackles & a goal.

I've always loved Gilbert. Yes he shanks it from time to time but he is just one of those players that his good outweighs his bad because he makes things happen, wins his own ball and backs himself in. Reckon he is gonna have a big year.

Hickey was amazing
that goal seemed to give Acres that kick he needed, very similar to bruce early last year when he took that hanger. after that he was up and about. needs to work on his disposal but its a massive step in the right direction
lonie needs to work on his finishing and his overhead marking, thats the only thing separating him from say a michael walters/eddie betts

gresham needs to go back to the VFL

was impressed with ross, finally coming of age and like acres moving in the right direction

Very impressed with our game to be in a rebuild and to dominate the game and lead for 3 qtrs is proof we are improving. Yes we all hate to lose and the 4th qtr was disheartening but once we get a full 4 qtr game and find our consistent best 22 watch out! We will win against port away and it will be soon, their record won't last forever and it will be sweet.

Hickey was brilliant! So versatile and will be a force in coming years.

Steven has so much heart, Gresham great for confidence to get a goal with his first kick which is a dream for a debutant if only this was at home!!

Acres just needs time but has it.

Lock Lonie in for kicking the hardest shots, once he kicks the "easy" ones he will be one of the best small forwards..time time and time but we will get there.

Carlisle great showing his support via social media and will improve us against the usual forwards that dominate but one more year of it.

Freeman I am super excited for he will be a fine player and compliment us for many years with Steven and co.

Billings to me has not yet found his position but I think he plays a gray-like.

Rooey will be fresh for 300.

Well done richo he is going to reap the rewards in years to come for his hard work with this club.

Go saints!!

gresham needs to go back to the VFL

was impressed with ross, finally coming of age and like acres moving in the right direction
YOU need to go to hell.

Yo, Persevering Saint was that you in Bay 536, still barracking hard when the Saints goaled late in the 4th?

If so, onya mate, that was awesome.
Nope, not me. I was too busy checking to see if the guy behind me was going to stab me. Full on nuts. Had 5 Power fans come up after and apologise for his behaviour... In front of a 10 year old.

Just a few thoughts on some players

Acres- still looks very slow and lacks awareness at times but strong around the contest and good in tight.

Ross- thought his clearance work was fantastic. Still tires late.

Lonie- could kick 50 goals and be an all Australian this year.

Hickey- tap work fantastic.

Dunstan- becomes a liability when the game opens up. Can't fault his endeavour though.

Templeton- doesn't do enough for me. Sinclair is more advanced.

Savage- butchers the ball for one of our best kicks.

Billings- 22 disposals but little impact.

Gresham- reminds me of jack Steven

McCartin- I'm excited

Nope, not me. I was too busy checking to see if the guy behind me was going to stab me. Full on nuts. Had 5 Power fans come up after and apologise for his behaviour... In front of a 10 year old.
Hate that stuff, especially in front of kids

Of course it is disappointing to lose. But before the game I must admit I just hoped we wouldn't get flogged, and that we would at least show some promising signs. That is not very ambitious of me, but realistic.

But as the game unfolded there were so many things to like. We really have improved and it was an even greater disappointment to fade like we did. But Port at home was always a big ask. Late in the third you could feel the tide turning. Their greater maturity, and more star players took too much of a toll.

But if we can build our fitness and get settled as a team we are going to give quite a few a fright. And that style of play is going to run over a few teams.

Hickey was really something, Armo and Steven really cracked in. Great patches from Lonie, Weller, and Acres. Solid from Ross, and Dunstan while his numbers weren't great tackled and fought for the ball. Gilbert did some good stuff. The poor old back line was under siege, and did hold them out pretty well.

As nearly everyone says, we need those couple of classy burst away players, and we will get more reward for our work.

Same again, but for longer, against the bullies please.

I have seen a Port v Crows local derby and some fans there are very scary. Very intimidating. Don't know what gets into them. Bad news you had to endure that, but good that others apologised. Security should be much better.

Let's be honest here and not biased, we had a massive score kicked against us by a team playing with one less player.

Acres is slow and a below average kick, is a foot soldier at best.

Hickey was excellent, good on him.

Geary is poorly skilled, has been turning it over for years.

Fisher was great, problem with getting Jake next year is that Fish won't be there.

Seb was very good, but slowish which is frustrating.

Dunstan, doesn't get enough of the ball and is genuinely slow. Hence my trade thoughts earlier this week.

Eli, just don't understand his selection ahead of Sinclair, very odd. Sinclair is everything Eli is not.

Jack Steven a star, Roo under done, no real tall forward who could catch it and no tall defender to punch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest here and not biased, we had a massive score kicked against us by a team playing with one less player.

Acres is slow and a below average kick, is a foot soldier at best.

Hickey was excellent, good on him.

Geary is poorly skilled, has been turning it over for years.

Fisher was great, problem with getting Jake next year is that Fish won't be there.

Seb was very good, but slowish which is frustrating.

Dunstan, doesn't get enough of the ball and is genuinely slow. Hence my trade thoughts earlier this week.

Eli, just don't understand his selection ahead of Sinclair, very odd. Sinclair is everything Eli is not.

Jack Steven a star, Roo under done, no real tall forward who could catch it and no tall defender to punch it.

You guys were good today, don't undersell yourselves. Richo will get you there. Today was a great game of footy.

How much do you think Dunstans tackle on Sam Gray effected the rest of his game? He just about crushed his chest when he dragged Gray down. I honestly thought he'd done his shoulder again & it looked to put him off his game for a while out there
He kept cracking on which is a testament to his courage. But it did seem to take the edge from him. He was in a world of trouble for a while.

Opposition supporters are often guilty of patronising the defeated when visiting team boards in the aftermath of games.

Not in this case.

Exemplary performance today. Plenty of slick interplay, especially on the counter-attack, with everything underpinned by a fearlessness and steel you don't usually see from rebuilding sides away from home.

Might've even nicked it had a certain human battleship not been sidelined with Ryfries. Sam Fisher was like watching the third act of 300 by the end. Absolute warrior who finally yielded to the incessant barrage.

It's obviously 12 months or so too early for your gaggle of wunderkinds, but Richardson is a gem with a very very strong blueprint for the future in much the same way Luke Beveridge has primed the Dogs.

All the best for the rest of the year.

I thought in the 3rd quarter alone, we saw enough from Acres to suggest he is going to be more than a foot soldier. Yeah he still makes some errors, as you could expect from a player who has barely played at AFL level, but he was in 3-4 scoring chains in that 10 minute period where we were flying. Was up there with our best in that quarter.

Hickey was amazing.. Glad he had an opportunity to show what he can do as no 1

Seb starting to play like a man not a kid

Really liked some of the things Eli did. Not big stats but he's got class if he gets more of it he will be very useful

Seriously hurting us not having a key defender . I love fish but he panicks one on one. He's much better 3rd man in intercept marking. As a one on one he engages too much body, holds on and gets caught due to lack of size..

Geary = completely useless. I am sick of years of him turning it over and somehow all his turnovers cost us goals. He also panicks one on one and gives away needless frees

Hopefully paddy comes in. Need a target and it's time to see him play

Great effort saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back