Review Round 1 2016 St Kilda vs Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I have said for ages Hickey is the clubs best ruckman.
Longer can develop inthe twos while Tom plays like that

Hickey played the four best individual quarters of his career (with a fair gap to his fifth best) today, absolutely amazing.

I have been a big doubter of Hickey and have had Longer well ahead the entire time we've had Billy at the club. But the way the Hickey played today was a level higher than I thought either of them would ever be capable of. If Hickey plays like that it doesn't matter what Billy does because we'll have an All-Australian ruckman.

Having said all this, i would need to see him put together a few good games to convince me this wasn't a once off against a week opponent. Would still love it if we would find away to get both of them up and flying in the same side.

so chance to drown my sorrows,Next weeks game has to have McCartin.

Eli out for me. Also Geary is no longer in my best 18.

and i hate Essendon. Today was another example in the long list since 2011 of a big tall forward kicking a bag.

Midfield all of a sudden had depth today. Needs the kids to keep stepping up however.

Let's be honest here and not biased, we had a massive score kicked against us by a team playing with one less player.
Yes, but with fewer interchanges no such a big deal. In the last their experienced bodies took over. We had 10 <50 gamers out there, they had 5.

BrianSpeaking said:
Acres is slow and a below average kick, is a foot soldier at best.
Far too early to say. Acres was terrific in the 3rd Q. His dominance also conincided with us getting a run on to a 3+ goal lead.
BrianSpeaking said:
Hickey was excellent, good on him.

Geary is poorly skilled, has been turning it over for years..
Agreed. It'd be great if in the next 3-4 years he gets phased out. Let's hope Rice and/or White have the goods.

BrianSpeaking said:
Fisher was great, problem with getting Jake next year is that Fish won't be there..
It'll be a changing of the guard no doubt. Be interesting to see.

BrianSpeaking said:
Seb was very good, but slowish which is frustrating.

Dunstan, doesn't get enough of the ball and is genuinely slow. Hence my trade thoughts earlier this week..
Really is hard to see Ross, Dunstan, Acres all in the same midfield. At this stage I have to agree that Dunstan looks the most vulnerable.

BrianSpeaking said:
Eli, just don't understand his selection ahead of Sinclair, very odd. Sinclair is everything Eli is not..
Yep. Sinclair and Minchington IN for Templeton, Dunstan/Gresham for next week for mine.

BrianSpeaking said:
Jack Steven a star, Roo under done, no real tall forward who could catch it and no tall defender to punch it.
Surely Paddy will come in as well next week after 7 in the praccy match.

It was just rd 1. We lacked match practice but no excuse for our fitness level.

+ve - A good match practice, our pressure and effort. Clearance was awesome.

-ve - Our fitness level. Our back line. Kicking skills.

We cannot judge our team from just one round, lets give them some chance and match practice. Dont make too many changes for rd 2. Give them some chance to prove themselves.

Hickey played the four best individual quarters of his career (with a fair gap to his fifth best) today, absolutely amazing.

I have been a big doubter of Hickey and have had Longer well ahead the entire time we've had Billy at the club. But the way the Hickey played today was a level higher than I thought either of them would ever be capable of. If Hickey plays like that it doesn't matter what Billy does because we'll have an All-Australian ruckman.

Having said all this, i would need to see him put together a few good games to convince me this wasn't a once off against a week opponent. Would still love it if we would find away to get both of them up and flying in the same side.

He beat Mumford to be the difference against GWS a couple of years ago. Was nearly bog in that one too.

ha... that reminds me...last year on AFL teams...
ACeG3Qr.jpg
Who is J Weller?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How exciting.
Our backline was severely undersized (dixons a *en monster)but our gameplan stood up and we gave them some trouble.
I reckon if they didn't lose white we would have lost the game half way/early in the third.
But bugger me if hickey learns how to play forward we'll have max gawn AND todd goldstein in the same side.
I hate it when people say we were up there because we had "heart"
We have a solid gameplan and you can see that when everyone executes their role well we can trouble good teams.
Once our team is settled and our players have another 50 games in them I'm bloody confident richo is going to take us far in a finals series against gold coke and greater wasting sydney, as well as the demons that got a lift out of hell via gillon dimetriou.
Carlisle is gunna be massive.
I always thought geary had it rough being a backman in an underdeveloped side which may have contributed to his bad disposal percentages but he misses clear targets when he has 10 metres of space around him. You can be the best endurance athlete in the world but the best way to move the ball is to kick it and this bloke simply hasn't mastered the drop punt.
I hope billings becomes our gray, that bloke just makes things happen.
Old birdshit wingard killed us too.
Sorry aussierulesrules for stealing your thunder with the long post but I'm stoked footy is back and I'm stoked the saints are up and about playing exciting football.
When we get good we will be bloody good.
Go saints.
P.S. cheer up brian ya grumpy bastard

How exciting.
Our backline was severely undersized (dixons a ****en monster)but our gameplan stood up and we gave them some trouble.
I reckon if they didn't lose white we would have lost the game half way/early in the third.
But bugger me if hickey learns how to play forward we'll have max gawn AND todd goldstein in the same side.
I hate it when people say we were up there because we had "heart"
We have a solid gameplan and you can see that when everyone executes their role well we can trouble good teams.
Once our team is settled and our players have another 50 games in them I'm bloody confident richo is going to take us far in a finals series against gold coke and greater wasting sydney, as well as the demons that got a lift out of hell via gillon dimetriou.
Carlisle is gunna be massive.
I always thought geary had it rough being a backman in an underdeveloped side which may have contributed to his bad disposal percentages but he misses clear targets when he has 10 metres of space around him. You can be the best endurance athlete in the world but the best way to move the ball is to kick it l and this bloke simply hasn't mastered the drop punt.
I hope billings becomes our gray, that bloke just makes things happen.
Old birdshit wingard killed us too.
Sorry aussierulesrules for stealing your thunder with the long post hut I'm stoked footy is back and I'm stoked the saints are up and about playing exciting football.
When we get good we will be bloody good.
Go saints.
P.S. cheer up brian ya grumpy bastard

I reckon Sydney are going nowhere but up too. They have a team made up of bargain academy kids and cheap F S picks. The AFL hand feed them as much as G W S.

I reckon Sydney are going nowhere but up too. They have a team made up of bargain academy kids and cheap F S picks. The AFL hand feed them as much as G W S.
The afl is in a pr war with rugby league hence why they tried to sweep essendons drug cheating under the carpet. If the teams in the "weak" states keep winning the theory is they will get more fans.
The nrl did the exact same thing with the melbourne storm and that didn't exactly work, so this money should be getting spent at grass roots. That's how you grow a game.

A few random observations from me -
Some people forget how good Hickey was looking until he got injured a couple of seasons back. He hasn't looked at that level since, until today. Let's hope he's back. If so he's clearly a better choice than Longer although Hickey can be outbodied by the bigger, stronger rucks. Maybe that's when Billy or Holmes get their chance.
Don't sell Dunstan short too soon. He's another Luke Ball for mine who would be a star elsewhere if we parted company with him.
The loss of Carlisle this year is huge. With him at CHB games like today wouldn't be lost. It's going to be painful watching every time we go down this year when we are so obviously a key defender short.
Geary isn't in our best 22 and is going to slip further down the list as the year progresses. How his name can be thrown up as Rooey's replacement as Captain is laughable. The prospect of that happening is a selection nightmare in the making. Steven stands out as our next skipper IMO.
We really need to keep Fish in cotton wool this year. Without him our backline deficiencies will be completely exposed.
McCartin has to play if he's match fit and left in the team regardless of how many goals he kicks. His time has arrived.
Persevere with Acres. He's barely had a taste of it and he looked the goods in part today.
Sinclair is ahead of Eli by the length of the Flemington straight.
Billings will be a match winner at Etihad. Less so elsewhere at the moment but it's building.
McKenzie seems to be a forgotten piece of our jigsaw. I reckon he's got a lot to offer.

I wouldn't really go dropping any of them just yet.
Dunstan , Eli, and Gresham maybe didn't contribute enough, but i just don't like the one game revolving door through the AFL / VFL.
EXCEPT ... i thought our forward structure was crying out for another tall.
and surely Goddard on Boyd would be a good thing to try, leaving more experienced heads to man up on stringer.

Yes Paddy, Minch, Sinclair and Membrey presented a strong case , but lets remember what the game was. Its like the NAB challenge of the VFL.

Don't worry about ARR, he's too busy sticking pins into his Brian voodoo doll.
Let's also go a little easy on the 'loss' of Carlisle, he's never even had a massage at the club let alone played any sort of game with us, not even AFL 9's!

Loved the effort and intensity.

If people throw around Geary as the next potential captain I will be livid. His disposal is shocking to say the least and got killed one on one today. We deff need to be giving Wright game time this year as I can't seem him doing any worse to be honest.

Pros:
Hickey - performances like that make him a better option than Longer - so many marks and possessions. I'm a fan of Longer, but that was as good a ruck performance by a Saint as I can recall

Ross - excellent. Mature defensive performance - really chased and harassed hard. He used to plod after the ball if he didn't win it, but today he really sprinted hard even if the ball was 5m from him. And his usual clean self w the ball in hand. I'd love to see him in person, because he is so strong standing up - even when he's being tackled he gets a kick away - Mundy or Kennedy style - and they're a couple of big boys.

Steven - elite stuff. Really pleased to see him being recognised again by the wider public. Some of his tackle breaking is Gary Ablett good. And his repeat efforts are amazing. Our only A- grader atm. But a genuine a-grader no doubt

Newnes, Savage, Roberton - thought they were all tough and good. Savage in particular stood out for defensive stuff. We all expect that from Newnes, but to see that from Savage is really promising. Roberton looked clean.

Acres - when he doesn't have to think he's really great. Some clean, clear headed work in close. A couple of shank kicks, but that's when he had too much time to think. Looked natural up forward. Great to see him spend a lot of time on the ball. And again, he looked strong late in the game, when some of the speed has gone out, and his natural athletic traits can allow him to find more space and time.

Mentions to Lonie, Weller, Bruce - all good strong efforts.

Montagna really great. Great to see the boys put in a huge effort for him.

Special mention to Fisher - huge game. Really lucky to have him while Goddard and Carlisle come along.

Tactics - really well coached. Absolutely out coached Port.

Clearances - I thought that was a weakness for us. We absolutely smashed Port (for 3 quarters). Most credit to Hickey and Steven. But Ross and Dunstan also very good. I suspect that Dunstan is hugely appreciated by Steven and co. Some of his deft stuff is so great. He looks back to 2014 best.

Cons - none

Except that we ran out of puff. That's unfortunate but to be expected. Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Templeton, Lonie, Billings, Webster, Newnes will struggle to run out 4 quarters especially compared to a seasoned Port midfield.

PS - McCartin killing it in the 2s. I think his inclusion will benefit Bruce and Riewoldt hugely. We have looked best when we've had 3 genuine tall forwards.

You'd think he comes in for someone. No idea who though. Thought no one had a bad game.

Yes, but with fewer interchanges no such a big deal. In the last their experienced bodies took over. We had 10 <50 gamers out there, they had 5.

Far too early to say. Acres was terrific in the 3rd Q. His dominance also conincided with us getting a run on to a 3+ goal lead.

Agreed. It'd be great if in the next 3-4 years he gets phased out. Let's hope Rice and/or White have the goods.

It'll be a changing of the guard no doubt. Be interesting to see.

Really is hard to see Ross, Dunstan, Acres all in the same midfield. At this stage I have to agree that Dunstan looks the most vulnerable.

Yep. Sinclair and Minchington IN for Templeton, Dunstan/Gresham for next week for mine.

Surely Paddy will come in as well next week after 7 in the praccy match.
Pretty much agree with everything you and BS say here, good posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back