Toast 0wned

Remove this Banner Ad

Still remember our last loss to them, with David ******* Neitz jumping on the heads of our players and making Big Bad Leeroy Brown look like a ragdoll.

Considering how s**t that day was, I'm quite happy to have this streak continue another 20 years until I've fully eye bleched the memory from my mind.

When you think about the players involved it is ridiculous. Shouldn't really be happening in the modern era. But there you are.

Our 10-game streak of scoring 100+ against them is in danger this Sunday with rain and heavy winds expected in Hobart :stern look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was our last loss against them when N. Thompson came off cos he was tired

No. Same season though. Later that year we led them by about 4 goals at half time but capitulated and lost by 50 with Neitz kicking 8. No current Melbourne player has played in a win against us for Melbourne. Nathan Jones has played in all 14 losses.

No. Same season though. Later that year we led them by about 4 goals at half time but capitulated and lost by 50 with Neitz kicking 8. No current Melbourne player has played in a win against us for Melbourne. Nathan Jones has played in all 14 losses.
Hopefully their players have subconsciously marked it down as a loss already.

Man that knows it all :thumbsu:

Do you recall a v GoDeez game in 98 or 99 at the MCG and they pulled our pants down...especially Garry Lyon. Was there that day and it was shite...just as shite as a late season loss to them in 1986 at the MCG. ..but i do also remember another game in 1998 that we actually won at the MCG. The reason I remember this game is because I had a guy stalk me into a car park wanting money off me...it was one of those moments in life where you heart is in your mouth not knowing what the response was going to be when I said 'nahhh'.

Do you recall a v GoDeez game in 98 or 99 at the MCG and they pulled our pants down...especially Garry Lyon. Was there that day and it was shite...just as shite as a late season loss to them in 1986 at the MCG. ..but i do also remember another game in 1998 that we actually won at the MCG. The reason I remember this game is because I had a guy stalk me into a car park wanting money off me...it was one of those moments in life where you heart is in your mouth not knowing what the response was going to be when I said 'nahhh'.

Round 2, 1998. Twilight game in Round 2. They were 41 up at half time and ended up winning by 25. Doesn't sound that bad, but they were last in 1997 and it wasn't known early in the year that they'd actually improved as much as they did.

They 1986 loss was a disaster. We had to win our last 6 to make the finals. We won four straight including sides battling for our spot, Footscray and Fitzroy, the previous two weeks so it came down to a regulation win against 11th placed Melbourne and then a tough one against Essendon at Windy Hill in the last week. Melbourne beat us by 85 points with David Williams kicking 9. We beat Essendon the next week but it didn't matter. We missed the finals by percentage.

The game we won in 1998 was in Round 17 by 55 points. The game was in the balance at 3/4 time but we kicked 10 goals to 2 in the last quarter. Carey kicked 8. Melbourne then won 7 games straight until losing to us in the Preliminary Final.

One of my favourite Melbourne wins was in 2000. We were outscored by 18 points in the 1st quarter, 19 in the 3rd and 20 in the last - but 11 goals to 2 in the second quarter won us the game by a point. Thoroughly outplayed for three quarters but won the game...amazing.

Another 1 point win was in 1999. Melbourne had fallen away a bit in 1999 but they took it right up to us in Round 12 - leading by 19 points early in the last quarter. We kicked the last 2 goals of the game to get the margin back to six points 10mins into the last quarter. From there we kicked 8 consecutive points to hit the front late in the game. Melbourne kicked the last point but lost despite kicking two more goals during the match (14.8-92 to 12.21-93).

Keeping on the 1 point theme was the first of the 14 straight wins. Again, we were expected to win well and looked to be on track early in the last with 5 goals to Shannon Grant and a 35 point lead. The Dees then kicked the next 7 goals in the next 20mins to get a 6pt lead. But a poor kick out by Travis Johnstone ended up with a young Andrew Swallow who just made the distance from 50 to snatch the game. Again, we won with less goals (11.12-78 to 10.19-79)

Another which I'm surprised doesn't get mentioned much as it involves such a major figure in the game today was in 1987. Imagine having to kick a goal after the siren to win game on debut? Enter Alastair Clarkson whose third goal, after the siren, in his first game won North the game by 2 points. I won't mention what happened later in 1987 when we played Melbourne in the finals.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back