Could Sam Mitchell become a dual Bronlow medallist in 1 night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems a strange - yet possible - proposition that Sam Mitchell could go from having never won a Brownlow to being a dual Brownlow medallist in the course of an evening at 34 years of age!

Obviously there is speculation he (and Cotchin) will be awarded the 2012 Brownlow on Brownlow night this year.

Whilst still early days, I think he is also a chance at this years Brownlow. Consider that last season he finished 3rd behind a dominant Fyfe before going up another level in finals to easily be the best player of the finals series. Despite his age, he got more of the ball than any other player last season and used it as well as any (in fact, only 4 players in history have had more of the ball despite Mitchell being rested for 2 games).

He has started 2016 in better form than 2015. So far,

Round 1 - 36 disposals (15 contested), 8 clearances, 5 tackles (Danger BOG, Mitchell the 2 IMO)
Round 2 - 37 disposals (12 contested), 9 clearances, 6 tackles (Gibson BOG, Mitchell the 2)
Round 3 - 29 disposals (9 contested), 4 clearances, 8 tackles (Most possessions and metres gained for winning side but hard to say with votes, I'd give him 1)
Round 4 - 44 disposals (20 contested), 10 clearances, 3 tackles (clear BOG - 3 votes)

Again leads the league in possessions and is using it to damaging effect.

What do you guys think? Is this strange occurance plausible?
I, for one, feel it would be well deserved, particularly considering he is top 5 all time for Brownlow votes and is likely to finish his career at no 1.

How have you possibly got it in your head that he'd be presented the 2012 Brownlow?

Absolutely no chance that that happens, even if the AFL commission miraculously switch their brains on and strip Jobe of the Brownlow.

Round 1 vs Geelong: 0 votes
Round 2 WCE: 2 Votes
Round 3 WB: 2 Votes
Round 4 St Kilda: 3 votes

He will be on 7 or 8 votes by the end of Round 4. I don't think he will win it this year, but a top 5 finish in the Brownlow medal is likely. At the end of this season he will be the second highest Brownlow Medal votes of all-time.

How have you possibly got it in your head that he'd be presented the 2012 Brownlow?

Absolutely no chance that that happens, even if the AFL commission miraculously switch their brains on and strip Jobe of the Brownlow.
If first is dq'd 2nd would win wouldn't it?

That is how I see it anyway

It seems a strange - yet possible - proposition that Sam Mitchell could go from having never won a Brownlow to being a dual Brownlow medallist in the course of an evening at 34 years of age!

Obviously there is speculation he (and Cotchin) will be awarded the 2012 Brownlow on Brownlow night this year.

Whilst still early days, I think he is also a chance at this years Brownlow. Consider that last season he finished 3rd behind a dominant Fyfe before going up another level in finals to easily be the best player of the finals series. Despite his age, he got more of the ball than any other player last season and used it as well as any (in fact, only 4 players in history have had more of the ball despite Mitchell being rested for 2 games).

He has started 2016 in better form than 2015. So far,

Round 1 - 36 disposals (15 contested), 8 clearances, 5 tackles (Danger BOG, Mitchell the 2 IMO)
Round 2 - 37 disposals (12 contested), 9 clearances, 6 tackles (Gibson BOG, Mitchell the 2)
Round 3 - 29 disposals (9 contested), 4 clearances, 8 tackles (Most possessions and metres gained for winning side but hard to say with votes, I'd give him 1)
Round 4 - 44 disposals (20 contested), 10 clearances, 3 tackles (clear BOG - 3 votes)

Again leads the league in possessions and is using it to damaging effect.

What do you guys think? Is this strange occurance plausible?
I, for one, feel it would be well deserved, particularly considering he is top 5 all time for Brownlow votes and is likely to finish his career at no 1.

Word is Jobe Watson will be keeping his Brownlow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes it all the more remarkable/strange is not only that two Brownlows have never been awarded to one player in 1 season/night but that it could happen in what should be the twilight of his career.

The oldest Brownlow winner to date is Barry Round who was 31 way back in 1981. Sam Mitchell will be 33/34. He already has the most Brownlow votes after the age of 30 I think and the second most 30+ possession games after 30 (set to be No 1 in a few rounds)

In perspective, consider he was overlooked altogether for the 2000 draft and then picked higher than expected at no 36 in the greatest draft of all time. Compared to the top 20 of that draft.

1. Luke Hodge - still playing OK, albeit inconsistent, footy.
2. Luke Ball - retired.
3. Chris Judd - retired.
4. Graham Polak - retired
5. Xavier Clarke - retired
6. Ash Sampi - delisted
7. David Hale - retired
8. Jimmy Bartel - playing OK footy but nowhere near the Brownlow level of a decade ago..
9. Luke Molan - delisted
10. Sam Power - delisted.

It seems a little unprecedented in modern times (as is the form of Brent Harvey, though he is not Brownlow level IMO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back