Toast Connor Blakely Rd 11 Rising Star Nom

Remove this Banner Ad

So forgive me if I'm not drinking the Koolaid that says we have done a great job of developing our kids. We are playing them now because we were 0-10 and have about 6 senior players injured. If that wasn't the case, we probably wouldn't have even played Blakely this year.

I think you will find that Weller was in the team round 1 and has not left it, Langdon was in the team round 2 after earning a performance, Blakely was supposed to play round 2 but got injured (Ross said this in an interview during the week before that match) It then only took him 1 game after coming back from injury to get into the team. Alex Pearce was in the team at round 2 (delayed by injuries again)

So that is at least 4 youngsters that were in contention by round 2, well and truly before our season was over.

By round 4 we can also add Crozier to the list (still semi-youth as he has not played 50 games) and at this point the season is still not over if we could snag a win.

Then at round 5 when we hit the do or die game (if we lost this we could 100% kiss finals goodbye) we brought in Tucker and Grey. (Could be argued that the season was over by now but we all certainly were not thinking that at the time)

All of these games were not gifted by injury, they were on the back of dropping older players like Suban, Ibbotson, DeBoer, Mzungu etc
It could be argued the season was over at round 5 but again that was not the thinking at the time imo

Hughes and Collins have been fortunate to gain games due to us losing and injuries occuring, I can concede that but the other youngsters earnt their places.

It's great that Connor feels that way. But choosing to go with footsoldiers over talented kids (and most pointedly choosing footsoldier midfielders instead of a young key forward, when anyone and everyone could see that we needed a 2nd key forward) could well have cost us a premiership last year. In a derby grand final.

So forgive me if I'm not drinking the Koolaid that says we have done a great job of developing our kids. We are playing them now because we were 0-10 and have about 6 senior players injured. If that wasn't the case, we probably wouldn't have even played Blakely this year.

He didn't even get a game until round 6, when our season was already over.

You are forgiven.

Congratulations to the young bloke! his last couple of weeks have been fantastic and great to see such a young man getting in there and showing a lot of grunt and determination. Still has to work on his disposal a little bit but hey it is his second year and he has been brilliant, also may be getting a little picky as he went at about 85%DE on the weekend.

I think we can also expect Weller to receive one at some stage during the year if he continues his current form. Does anyone know if Sam Collins is eligible for the rising star? he may be to old

If Weller is to be next cab off the rank, given his position, he really needs a big 3-4 goal game plus 15 touches with high efficiency. I feel he is every chance to achieve this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is footage somewhere of his family home either on, or just after the draft, where they celebrate him staying in WA.
His dad, Mark, played for East Perth in the 80's. From memory they play a similar style but the old man was a left footer I think and a bit lighter than Connor but it's usual for players to be bigger now than they were. Royals fans will remember more.

Gun.

Stoked that we persisted with Connor despite his first games against GWS and Adelaide being fairly uninspiring. Evidence that the kids need a sustained run at it in order to work themselves into form and adjust to the pace and demands of senior football. Also, sticking the kid in his natural position instead of no-mans land at half-forward or a wing which exposes his lack of pace makes a hell of a difference.

I expect Weller will have a breakout game shortly, in fact if Blakely didn't have the game he did this week, Lachie would've been a decent chance of getting the nod himself.

Need to show the same faith in Langdon, Tucker and Collins as we have in Weller and Blakely.

Mate I agree with you on Tabs. This is a thread acknowledging Connor, the rest is irrelevant here. He has stated his opinion about having to bide his time and now his opportunity has come when he has felt ready for it. His confidence in his competence at senior level has resulted in this nomination. From memory he was injured on the eve of the season and was rushed into the senior side after a return game at Peel and has played every game since. I appreciate you feel this is 12 months too late.

No koolaid in my cup.

Interesting arguments from both sides of the discussion.

I would add that if we were not in a losing season we would not be seeing Tucker which would be unfortunate, I really hope that he stays in the team as he is already a better player than some of our foot soldiers. In a "normal" season it will always be hard to crack a game early with Ross but young players will be better prepared. It frustrates me, but I see his reasoning. I hope this season opens his eyes to trying youth at least a little bit earlier than he has in the past.

Interesting arguments from both sides of the discussion.

I would add that if we were not in a losing season we would not be seeing Tucker which would be unfortunate, I really hope that he stays in the team as he is already a better player than some of our foot soldiers. In a "normal" season it will always be hard to crack a game early with Ross but young players will be better prepared. It frustrates me, but I see his reasoning. I hope this season opens his eyes to trying youth at least a little bit earlier than he has in the past.
I think that this season is not only a big learning experience for a lot of our players but I also believe that it is going to be the same for Ross. He has probably been the first to admit that he has held younger guys out of the team for longer than most coaches but I think this year he may realise that some times you just have to reward these young guys for them to show exactly what they are made of.

I don't think Connor has the tank for AFL midfield yet, but our position of being more comfortable to be over-run in the later parts of the game mean he can show what he has for two third of the game.

Very exciting times if he continues the athletic development he showed during the off season.

I don't think Connor has the tank for AFL midfield yet, but our position of being more comfortable to be over-run in the later parts of the game mean he can show what he has for two third of the game.

Very exciting times if he continues the athletic development he showed during the off season.

He was one of the front runners in the 2klm run if I remember. Shaved half a minute of his best time. I don't think his tank is a problem. Concentration for the full 100 minutes might be.

He was one of the front runners in the 2klm run if I remember. Shaved half a minute of his best time. I don't think his tank is a problem. Concentration for the full 100 minutes might be.
He did but he is only spending 60-70% on the ground, I'd like to see that lift to the high 80%s but that is a measure of repeat 2km, not just the one and that takes years of building.

I think that this season is not only a big learning experience for a lot of our players but I also believe that it is going to be the same for Ross. He has probably been the first to admit that he has held younger guys out of the team for longer than most coaches but I think this year he may realise that some times you just have to reward these young guys for them to show exactly what they are made of.

Has Lyon admitted it? All I ever hear is the usual vague double speak diatribe

congrats blakely i must admit watching him recently i can really see that he will develop into a 10 year plus player for us, cant wait for the future premierships with him in the side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back