When do people start to know who Tim Membrey is?

Remove this Banner Ad

32.14 (70%) is pretty impressive. Is he that good a kick, or getting his goals from close range?
Both he's an excellent kick but he still feels the pressure missed some easy ones at big moments but then hit the hard ones. Hopefully experience will fix it last year it was part of why he was dropped and he was a little to bulky not as mobile as he is now. He'll kick anything when he's feeling pumped

32.14 (70%) is pretty impressive. Is he that good a kick, or getting his goals from close range?
A bit of both. He's actually missed a few set-shots from about 25-30m out on very little angle (including hitting the post twice yesterday from such shots) which as good a kick as he is ought to eat for breakfast, so it could be an even higher %.

In the juniors, Nick Stevens (who coached him at Gippsland in the TAC Cup) compared his kicking for goal to that of Fev, who he (Stevens) of course played with at Carlton, so he came into the AFL with very big wraps on his kicking. His field kicking is also excellent.

He basically just does everything to a pretty high standard and only slid as far as he did in the draft because there were doubts that he was going to be tall enough to do the sorts of things he did in the juniors at AFL level. Same reason the likes of Caleb Daniel, Jack Lonie, Lewis Taylor and so-on weren't picked up much higher.

I think the doubters will be a little surprised in due time. The knock is that he goes missing against the top sides, whilst this may be somewhat true, I'd say this is more a reflection on the Saints as a whole rather than him personally.

He's a seriously good player. He has the best body positioning and strength of any St.Kilda forward that I've seen since Fraser Gehrig and his hands are stupidly sticky. Not to mention he's an accurate kick, something we haven't seen in a forward for a long time either.

Once our midfield goes to that next level it won't be long until he's kicking bags against the top sides too.
He plays as the third or fourth forward though depending if McCartin is in the side, that's the biggest asset for him to get off the chain if Bruce and co aren't when they're tied down by the best defender.

It's good to see he can deliver now against some teams and he probably will deliver more when you guys improve in the years to come, but like what a few have mentioned on here already, can he do it against the best regularly?

He's a perfect third forward size, but if you guys get injuries then how will he cope against the best defender every week? He isn't that tall either at 6"2-6"3, he's a 1980s-1990s type KPF size.

Can he play higher up the ground? He is very quick on the lead with good hands, perhaps he may be better suited across half forward once Riewoldt retires, like a Gunston/Adelaide Lynch type role.

He's basically another Jack Darling at the moment FWIW though, good player but we all know how he went on GF Day for example, that's what Membrey will have to prove in the years to come. Stringer will have to do the same for us come time though and we know he struggles as the number one forward for us already, we've seen that this year a few times.

Also, I wanted us to draft him instead of Hrovat back then as I knew he was prolific as a junior as a slightly undersized key forward, then we went out and spent big on Crameri a year later who is virtually the same mould of player size wise and in a similar role to their respective teams, but Tim can mark the footy but Crameri has better speed and groundball work.

I wonder if Sydney would have their time again a few years ago in trying to hold both Membrey and Biggs when guys like Goodes and Malceski were coming to the end? If they really are going hard for Mason Wood, then it seems in hindsight they made the wrong move.

Last edited:
who.gif

Looks like we finally got a first pick right and we delist him :$

Edit: Disregard, he was a third round pick. Could have sworn he was first round.

I wonder if Sydney would have their time again a few years ago in trying to hold both Membrey and Biggs when guys like Goodes and Malceski were coming to the end? If they really are going hard for Mason Wood, then it seems in hindsight they made the wrong move.

When you have a team that has been reasonably successful, it is hard to hang onto every player on your list, even if you rate them. The Swans benefitted from Mumford and Kennedy seeking greater opportunities to play senior football away from very strong squads. Similarly, we lost on Membrey and Biggs (and Dempster, way back). Pretty sure the Swans would loved to have kept Membrey, in particular, but the Saints offered him a much larger contract and longer contract than the Swans were able to.

Stringer is more of a midfielder

No, he's not.

He's a forward who has won a couple of clearances, ran with the footy a couple of times and is good at ground level. The Dogs have no need to play him in the middle, and he does his best work around the goals.

When you have a team that has been reasonably successful, it is hard to hang onto every player on your list, even if you rate them. The Swans benefitted from Mumford and Kennedy seeking greater opportunities to play senior football away from very strong squads. Similarly, we lost on Membrey and Biggs (and Dempster, way back). Pretty sure the Swans would loved to have kept Membrey, in particular, but the Saints offered him a much larger contract and longer contract than the Swans were able to.
Fair call, I just would've thought Membrey perhaps may have been part of a succession plan when Goodes retired, seems he wasn't convinced unfortunately though. Same with Biggs with guys like Shaw and Malceski going out.

I can see us losing the odd role midfielder in the upcoming years as it's our strongest area of depth on our list currently and we have no aging mids with Picken at a young 29 as our most senior mid then it's a large drop in age to Stevens/Libba/Dahlhaus etc after that (I say young because he was a VFL player until he was 22), but I'd be disappointed if we lost defenders as we have 3 who are in their twilight so it seems we have succession planning in place down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, he's not.

He's a forward who has won a couple of clearances, ran with the footy a couple of times and is good at ground level. The Dogs have no need to play him in the middle, and he does his best work around the goals.
Yes he has.

Stringer has been spending at least 50% of his time up the ground this season, either as a mid or as a forward. He has been playing further away from goals when he does go forward, often filling the high forward role we play which pushes into stoppages between the arcs as well.

The plan was always for Stringer to be a mid/forward and he's been vocal about wanting to play in the midfield since we drafted him.

Carlton, essendon , dees and freo fans have one thing in common.

They underestimated him and got egg on their faces.

He played on Gwilt though.

I like him fwiw, Reckon he will start to bridge the gap in terms of performing against better sides as you guys improve, 3 marks inside 50 usually translates into 3 goals, Fantastic set shot kick.

Yes he has.

Stringer has been spending at least 50% of his time up the ground this season, either as a mid or as a forward. He has been playing further away from goals when he does go forward, often filling the high forward role we play which pushes into stoppages between the arcs as well.

The plan was always for Stringer to be a mid/forward and he's been vocal about wanting to play in the midfield since we drafted him.

That's great. Doesn't necessarily mean that putting him in the midfield is necessarily the best use of him or best for the team.

The Dogs have finally drafted and developed a quality big-bodied forward. Why so intent on turning him into something he's not, when you already have plenty of good clearance mids?

Has cut us up twice this year and always looks dangerous.
Strong, quick and a great kick for goal either on the run or from a set shot.
I reckon he's a ripper.
Membrey, Bruce and Paddy is something to be feared in years to come!

That's great. Doesn't necessarily mean that putting him in the midfield is necessarily the best use of him or best for the team.

The Dogs have finally drafted and developed a quality big-bodied forward. Why so intent on turning him into something he's not, when you already have plenty of good clearance mids?
He's not a clearance mid - he's a burst mid, something we lack. His goal tally despite playing in the middle more is comparable to last year at the same stage so obviously it's working.
Having your best players where the ball is isn't a bad thing. Fyfe is an excellent forward too, but where does he play? Best player in the game when fit and playing in the middle.

He plays as the third or fourth forward though depending if McCartin is in the side, that's the biggest asset for him to get off the chain if Bruce and co aren't when they're tied down by the best defender.

It's good to see he can deliver now against some teams and he probably will deliver more when you guys improve in the years to come, but like what a few have mentioned on here already, can he do it against the best regularly?

He's a perfect third forward size, but if you guys get injuries then how will he cope against the best defender every week? He isn't that tall either at 6"2-6"3, he's a 1980s-1990s type KPF size.

Can he play higher up the ground? He is very quick on the lead with good hands, perhaps he may be better suited across half forward once Riewoldt retires, like a Gunston/Adelaide Lynch type role.

He's basically another Jack Darling at the moment FWIW though, good player but we all know how he went on GF Day for example, that's what Membrey will have to prove in the years to come. Stringer will have to do the same for us come time though and we know he struggles as the number one forward for us already, we've seen that this year a few times.

Also, I wanted us to draft him instead of Hrovat back then as I knew he was prolific as a junior as a slightly undersized key forward, then we went out and spent big on Crameri a year later who is virtually the same mould of player size wise and in a similar role to their respective teams, but Tim can mark the footy but Crameri has better speed and groundball work.

Lol Timmy is better than Crameri in every facet of the game, that isn't even arguable.

His field kicking and work off the deck is every bit as good as his marking and kicking for goal. Watch him play. If the ball gets to ground, he regularly beats his defender with ease, he doesn't just give up and wait for the next marking contest like Jesse Hogan.

Lol Timmy is better than Crameri in every facet of the game, that isn't even arguable.

His field kicking and work off the deck is every bit as good as his marking and kicking for goal. Watch him play. If the ball gets to ground, he regularly beats his defender with ease, he doesn't just give up and wait for the next marking contest like Jesse Hogan.
Disagree, Crameri's best stuff is his bullocking work and work rate pushing up the ground and running towards goal

Membrey plays taller far better than him though and is a much better mark and kick at goal

If Membrey beat all of his opponents with ease then why doesn't he produce against better opponents? I'd expect him to beat a 3rd/4th defender most weeks FWIW though.

Spuds always kick bags against us, Membrey is certainly one.
But everyone kicks bags against you?

Because let's face it, you're Melbourne. You're shit and you have been for a over a decade and will continue to be for a decade longer. All the while the AFL continue to hand you whatever the **** you like.

Disagree, Crameri's best stuff is his bullocking work and work rate pushing up the ground and running towards goal

Membrey plays taller far better than him though and is a much better mark and kick at goal

If Membrey beat all of his opponents with ease then why doesn't he produce against better opponents?

I think it's a bit of a common misconception already about him to be fair.

He's been reasonable against better opponents in the games he has played this season (missed the GWS, WB, Haw games due to limited pre-season and coming in late). The only games he's been largely ineffective in is against WCE and Adelaide where we lost by a combined total of 191 points. He wasn't the only one, trust me. He was still decent against the Eagles FWIW as well considering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back