When do people start to know who Tim Membrey is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is his entire season. We haven't picked out his best 11 games to present a maximum goal average so why would you do the same with another player to compare? I would have thought this is pretty obvious stuff.

We can speculate on what he might average if he'd played every game but that is just speculation.
Hang on. You are using his best 11 game stretch.

But we can't do that with the others coz that's unfair?

Right.

As I said earlier I have no idea when you start adding qualifiers like that.

He may stand heads and shoulders above then, I suspect he does.

But the post I originally quoted didn't actually mention that. Hence my post.
Point being all those players are generally acknowledged as being guns, so you'd think people would notice someone playing at a similar level to them with such little experience.

Point being all those players are generally acknowledged as being guns, so you'd think people would notice someone playing at a similar level to them with such little experience.
Which is fine and a very fair point.

Just a little different to the post I quoted. All good. :)

I think it's taking people some time to realise that terrible tattoos, don't mean terrible player.

I thought he might be too short and not versatile enough to make the jump to AFL level, but I was wrong.
He reads the ball well and in the air, has strong hands, a great set shot, and is a natural forward.

I'm not convinced his ceiling is incredibly high, but could easily keep doing what he is now for another 6-8 years and be a valuable forward.

Last edited:
If Shenton had more ability.

Well considering he was the leading goalkicker for a grand final side in the SANFL as a skinny 20 year old, it's a bit of a mystery how he wasn't able to translate that to the VFL (and then gain a senior berth as a forward), resulting in him being turned into a backman instead.

Well considering he was the leading goalkicker for a grand final side in the SANFL as a skinny 20 year old, it's a bit of a mystery how he wasn't able to translate that to the VFL (and then gain a senior berth as a forward), resulting in him being turned into a backman instead.
Cam's kicking is ordinary and his decision-making at AFL level is also sub-par. Rabbit in the headlights sort of stuff. He's also not in the same sort of class as Membrey overhead.

Membrey was pretty good against us, albeit against a pretty inexperienced backline. He slotted some really key goals including a ridiculous snap that had no right to go through.

If he keeps this form line up he deserves recognition. He's no Gunstan / Lynch, but he's up there with the next group if you're looking at third talls in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth, here is the comparison between Membrey this year and Gunston at the same age: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=16&type=A&pid1=3342&pid2=3839&fid1=O&fid2=O

and here is Membrey v Lynch at the same age: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...2=16&type=A&pid1=3119&pid2=3839&fid1=O&fid2=O

According to this week's Footy Record, prior to this latest round, Tim was rated elite for goals, marks, marks inside 50 and score involvements for the year and above average for kicks and shots-at-goal-accuracy, and given that he kicked 4 goals, took 10 marks (6 inside 50) and had a game-high 10 score involvements yesterday, that will have only pushed him further into the elite bracket in those first 4 categories.

Last edited:
If Membrey beat all of his opponents with ease then why doesn't he produce against better opponents? I'd expect him to beat a 3rd/4th defender most weeks FWIW though.

He does produce when the inside 50 count is not lopsided. Hard to take marks inside 50 (he's 4th on avg in AFL) when the ball is not there. e.g. the Adelaide and West Coast away games.

In another of our games against a top 8 team since he re-joined the team we played Geelong, who have a bit of a land-of-the-giants going on down back, with at least 5 back there who are at least 5cm taller than him (Taylor, Henderson, Lonergan, Kollarjazzknee and Mackie), which makes it pretty hard for someone who is just 188cm to take many marks within range of goal.

Cam's kicking is ordinary and his decision-making at AFL level is also sub-par. Rabbit in the headlights sort of stuff. He's also not in the same sort of class as Membrey overhead.

Yeah I get that, I'm just surprised that he has never amounted to anything as a forward at AFL or even VFL level (especially after adding size and fitness), considering what he showed as a skinny youngster in the SANFL.

he's no tom boyd
Get around him. Could not believe the floggery on Channel 7 over Tom Boyd on the weekend. Sickening stuff. Here is a bloke who has only managed 30 career goals at age 21 and who punches his own team-mate and Ch 7 make out like he is a cross between Jason Dunstall and the Dalai Lama. Seriously sickening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back