When do people start to know who Tim Membrey is?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's a bit of a common misconception already about him to be fair.

He's been reasonable against better opponents in the games he has playe this season, the only games he's been largely ineffective in is against WCE and Adelaide where we lost by a combined total of 191 points. He wasn't the only one, trust me. He was still decent against the Eagles FWIW as well considering.
Once you guys climb into the top 8 next year or the year after (whenever it is in the near future), then we will have a better gauge on his capabilities against all opposition/what his ceiling could be, but yeah, those floggings interstate where nearly your whole team were uncompetitive wouldn't have helped

He's definitely a B grade competent AFL forward right now though which is great for your club considering you guys got him for nothing

Suspect anyone questioning his record against top teams has not seen him play.

He is a excellent contested mark for his height, great goal sense, has been lethally accurate both from set shots and in play and has kicked goals when the game is on the line not in q4 junk time. None of that suggests a downhill skiier.

I am one who never thought he would be AFL quality but from what I've seen this year he has what it takes to stand up against good opposition given the chance (i.e. not when our midfield is getting smashed like vs crows and eagles).

His relative lack of height means that he'll almost certainly never be the dominant no.1 target in an AFL team's forward line, but I don't see any reason why he'll consistently struggle to play his role well against good teams down the track. Like when he kicked 3 of our 8 goals against the undefeated and close to full-strength North a couple of months ago, a week after they quite comfortably accounted for WB. He just won't dominate them like he currently is the weaker teams and that's OK. If anyone in our forward line will be doing that it will be Paddy.

...who kicked lots of goals, including 9 in a TAC Cup prelim and then 4 in the grannie, both while playing with an ankle injury. Was captain of that side, too.
(It's a joke).

22 years old and averaging just shy of 3 goals a game, above the likes of Jenkins, Betts, Gunston, Hogan, Riewoldt, Walker etc etc
Pretty sure if you pick an 11 game sample for the mentioned players you'll find a 3 goal a game average too.

Maybe not Hogan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a selected sample of his best 11 games though, that's all the games he's played this year, so that logic doesn't really work.
You don't think Jack, Buddy, Tex etc have ever had an 11 game stretch where they've averaged 3 goals?

Probably but it's not a comparable to select a players 11 best games vs a players entire season for obvious reasons.
So can't compare Membrey to them using that then?

Since it's his best 11 games?

So can't compare Membrey to them using that then?

Since it's his best 11 games?

Try comparing their 10th - 20th odd first senior games of football

Before this season, Membrey has played approx one dozen games of football

It's not an entire season, it's 11 games.
Which is his entire season. We haven't picked out his best 11 games to present a maximum goal average so why would you do the same with another player to compare? I would have thought this is pretty obvious stuff.

We can speculate on what he might average if he'd played every game but that is just speculation.

Try comparing their 10th - 20th odd first senior games of football

Before this season, Membrey has played approx one dozen games of football
As I said earlier I have no idea when you start adding qualifiers like that.

He may stand heads and shoulders above then, I suspect he does.

But the post I originally quoted didn't actually mention that. Hence my post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back