Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Only as good as your last game, Demons by 6 goals over Devonport at Devonport.
Much rather be in Richters position than Windy. Twice the coach and a much better bloke with all the kids with him all the way. How's Windy going with his young kids and their personal issues? Heard he's not to good in that area.

Oh dear

Don't " oh dear" mate, I've spoken to the young man directly and he said he left because of Winter and the way he treated him. More so about trapping of to the media about him, we all know how much Windy likes a bit of media.

He's a big sook, probably leave Clarence now for getting dragged today for giving away 2 goals without the ball being bounced.

How do Tigers rebuild from here? Unless they spend good $$$, I can't see how they do it as won't be able to develop enough talent via junior ranks. They need to start spending now.

How do Tigers rebuild from here? Unless they spend good $$$, I can't see how they do it as won't be able to develop enough talent via junior ranks. They need to start spending now.
Pardon my Ignorance have the got finances or positions to offer recruits at Kingston?
Feel like the few small steps forward they take they have gone backwards in the last month or so.

Pardon my Ignorance have the got finances or positions to offer recruits at Kingston?
Feel like the few small steps forward they take they have gone backwards in the last month or so.
Not sure of their financial position but they need to start spending whatever they have. Also think they need AFL Tas intervention. They are miles off where they should be by now.

There would only be Tim Peterson and Marcus Davies who would be on the bigger coin at Kingborough. There problem is that they cannot retain or retain the older players that they had before joining the SWL. The players that were 22-28 yo aren't at the club having left at the end of the SFL. These players would have taken pressure of the kids. Some of the young players like Brandon Batchlor and Luke Graham have really come on and will be good players going forward, but there doesn't seem to be as many as hoped.
Noticed that 5 of the best players for university on the weekend were ex kingborough players. Some of these players would make them a lot more competitive.

There would only be Tim Peterson and Marcus Davies who would be on the bigger coin at Kingborough. There problem is that they cannot retain or retain the older players that they had before joining the SWL. The players that were 22-28 yo aren't at the club having left at the end of the SFL. These players would have taken pressure of the kids. Some of the young players like Brandon Batchlor and Luke Graham have really come on and will be good players going forward, but there doesn't seem to be as many as hoped.
Noticed that 5 of the best players for university on the weekend were ex kingborough players. Some of these players would make them a lot more competitive.
No good if they can't retain what they have developed.

No good if they can't retain what they have developed.

Spot on. I know of 5 senior players lost from last season. 2 who were drafted and Donnelly who went to NEAFL. And 2 also went to Huonville, they are the players they need to keep.

Not sure of their financial position but they need to start spending whatever they have. Also think they need AFL Tas intervention. They are miles off where they should be by now.

Yep, it appears so.

Rather than the Wade approach, whatever it was! AFL Tas need to look at the whole competition. It needs a lift in the salary cap, the ability to pay the cap at say $150k, enable the recruitment of ex AFL experienced coaches, of quality fitness guys, access to Sports doctors, physios etc, attract quality business managers & to build more professional facilities at clubs.

Its that simple, & its that hard too :)

Yep, it appears so.

Rather than the Wade approach, whatever it was! AFL Tas need to look at the whole competition. It needs a lift in the salary cap, the ability to pay the cap at say $150k, enable the recruitment of ex AFL experienced coaches, of quality fitness guys, access to Sports doctors, physios etc, attract quality business managers & to build more professional facilities at clubs.

Its that simple, & its that hard too :)
You are spot on with your assessment. All clubs are struggling for resources and volunteers and more money needs to be made available so clubs can pay the players an amount that allows them to be fairly compensated for the time and commitment they put in and higher player payments will go some way towards reversing the drain of talented players to lower levels. I think its also time some of the clubs critical staff such as medical people and trainers are paid something in return for all the time they put in as many clubs are very light on in that area simply because the volunteers just aren't there like they used to be. When you look at all the money the AFL put in to Queensland and NSW surely they could double what they currently give AFL Tas and hardly notice it.

You are spot on with your assessment. All clubs are struggling for resources and volunteers and more money needs to be made available so clubs can pay the players an amount that allows them to be fairly compensated for the time and commitment they put in and higher player payments will go some way towards reversing the drain of talented players to lower levels. I think its also time some of the clubs critical staff such as medical people and trainers are paid something in return for all the time they put in as many clubs are very light on in that area simply because the volunteers just aren't there like they used to be. When you look at all the money the AFL put in to Queensland and NSW surely they could double what they currently give AFL Tas and hardly notice it.

Surely this is the test for the latest AFL tas management team.

They are here either ,to actually help the game of Australian rules football in Tasmania, or just ensure some level of draft picks are maintained for the AFL.

If its just the later, they may as well piss off now. We really dont need any more self interested AFL management climbers here. They either care about the game as a whole & will help stabilise then improve the situation, or not.

What we dont want are any more liars & gum flappers who actually achieve SFA for the game in Tasmania.

Well if your losing players to University Footy Club which would be a so called third tier competition (No disrespect played a few games in the old scholars in the day) is shows what a terrible state some SWL Clubs must be in that they cannot retain players that they have developed who would rather drop down two levels for a kick.

I can imagine the time commitment at The Tigers compared to Uni would be double at least? You are always going to have certain players at a time in there career drift away. But if we use The Tigers as an example as soon as they were promoted to SWL the vast majority of there mature SFL players did not want to make the commitment, if there were more pay on the table I wonder how many would of stayed?

Also maybe you have got to ask is the Club Culture got something to do with not being able to keep players at the club? after all Lauderdale manged to make the step up and be competitive from there first season....maybe the ghost of the "Southern Cats" is haunting Gods Country as the old HFC/Kingborough legends I knew called it down the end of the Southern Outlet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if your losing players to University Footy Club which would be a so called third tier competition (No disrespect played a few games in the old scholars in the day) is shows what a terrible state some SWL Clubs must be in that they cannot retain players that they have developed who would rather drop down two levels for a kick.

I can imagine the time commitment at The Tigers compared to Uni would be double at least? You are always going to have certain players at a time in there career drift away. But if we use The Tigers as an example as soon as they were promoted to SWL the vast majority of there mature SFL players did not want to make the commitment, if there were more pay on the table I wonder how many would of stayed?

Also maybe you have got to ask is the Club Culture got something to do with not being able to keep players at the club? after all Lauderdale manged to make the step up and be competitive from there first season....maybe the ghost of the "Southern Cats" is haunting Gods Country as the old HFC/Kingborough legends I knew called it down the end of the Southern Outlet.

Yes, but Im in two minds about the flow of players to & from the lower tiers.

Its clearly not all about money. Some guys go with mates, some change because they cant commit the time, some are lazy & just want a bit of fun. Thats life.

I guess I want to see a TSL that can attract the best coaches/players etc & develop kids because they can offer better rewards than they do currently.

If the TSL were the league it should be, then players leaving to play/coach at regional level would be even better prepared to improve the clubs they go to.

Thats how I see it. Better at the top leads to better at the local leagues & to junior football as well.

Slightly different circumstances i think. Lauderdale joined after the SFL 2 divisions finished and the SWL started the following year, So Lauderdale already had a team that were playing the Glenorchy Clarence etc.
Kingborough came into a semi established league from playing SFL there is a fair bit of difference.

Anyone heard a whimper as yet that there is a top of table clash this weekend and GF replay? Would have expected this to dominate preceedings from head office through to all media outlets from Monday morning onwards.

Slightly different circumstances i think. Lauderdale joined after the SFL 2 divisions finished and the SWL started the following year, So Lauderdale already had a team that were playing the Glenorchy Clarence etc.
Kingborough came into a semi established league from playing SFL there is a fair bit of difference.
Guess what I am trying to say as the Club on being included is SWL the playing group virtually walked away on mass, the club was also supposed to represent the whole region how many players have come up from Cygnet and Huonville?

Anyway that is is the past how many years of playing kids will it take to be competitive? Three years in they have done well getting a few kids drafted but there last few results have been loss of 175, 73, 172, 55 , Average losing margin 118.75 points.

2016 2 wins a percentage of 47.7
2015 4 wins a percentage of 55.98
2014 0 wins a percentage of 26.20

How can the club, AFL Tasmania improve the playing stock they are a long way off, yes they are kids but this SWL is supposed to be the Premier Competition.

Anyone heard a whimper as yet that there is a top of table clash this weekend and GF replay? Would have expected this to dominate preceedings from head office through to all media outlets from Monday morning onwards.

Nothing on the official Website, once Darren Winter retires I make him media manger of AFL Tasmania at least he gets media attention.

Last edited:
Guess what I am trying to say as the Club on being included is SWL the playing group virtually walked away on mass, the city was also supposed to represent the whole region how many players have come up from Cygnet and Huonville?

Anyway that is is the past how many years of playing kids will it take to be competitive? Three years in they have done well getting a few kids drafted but there last few results have been loss of 175, 73, 172, 55 , Average losing margin 118.75 points.

How can the club, AFL Tasmania improve the playing stock they are a long way off, yes they are kids but this SWL is supposed to be the Premier Competition.

Nothing on the official Website, once Darren Winter retires I make him media manger of AFL Tasmania at least he gets media attention.

I agree with all that you have said, I don't know the exact problem but it could be that guys from Cygnet and Huonville wont travel 45mins 3 nights a week to train, then be willing to travel up north on a weekend. Plus Cygnet and Huonville have a bit of coin to keep there good players and returning players eg Halton Laycock at Cygnet. These types of players would make them competitive

I agree with all that you have said, I don't know the exact problem but it could be that guys from Cygnet and Huonville wont travel 45mins 3 nights a week to train, then be willing to travel up north on a weekend. Plus Cygnet and Huonville have a bit of coin to keep there good players and returning players eg Halton Laycock at Cygnet. These types of players would make them competitive
And this is a major problem regional clubs having a bigger budget than the so called Premier League where all the best players should be. If I am honest Scott Wade and now the Cheesemaker are just interested in having a glorified underage comp so maybe a few players can be drafted from, it is there main KPI.

Guess what I am trying to say as the Club on being included is SWL the playing group virtually walked away on mass, the club was also supposed to represent the whole region how many players have come up from Cygnet and Huonville?

Spot on, thats the only reason he says the things he does, and it works, massive crowd there on Saturday, most of the blokes on here wanna fire potshots at him for what he says but he would be the competitions biggest asset in drawing attention and interest to the league, if you had have heard him on Sunday on the Waterboys on HOFM then he was much more measured and diplomatic, he didn't need to be anything else after the event.

Spot on, thats the only reason he says the things he does, and it works, massive crowd there on Saturday, most of the blokes on here wanna fire potshots at him for what he says but he would be the competitions biggest asset in drawing attention and interest to the league, if you had have heard him on Sunday on the Waterboys on HOFM then he was much more measured and diplomatic, he didn't need to be anything else after the event.

Encouraging violence might excite the trailer drinkers around the ground & attract the media who like violence & controversy.

The reason the AFL try to eliminate that sort of off the ball hits & brawling is that sees families sending their kids to play soccer. We also have the serious long term issue of head injuries

Its a pity some people cant see the long term damage they are doing to their brand & the game.
But what else could you expect?

Encouraging violence might excite the trailer drinkers around the ground & attract the media who like violence & controversy.

The reason the AFL try to eliminate that sort of off the ball hits & brawling is that sees families sending their kids to play soccer. We also have the serious long term issue of head injuries

Its a pity some people cant see the long term damage they are doing to their brand & the game.
But what else could you expect?

That's the thing though pal, he says a couple of throw away lines in the media to whip all you blokes into hysteria and get everyone talking, do you honestly think that's what he's saying to his players behind closed doors though?

Seen a brief article today in Examiner talking why its being played on a Saturday arvo. Very little content anywhere else.

No news coverage or social media posts from clubs or AFL Tas that I have seen.

Off the back of recent negative coverage, thought it may have been a prime opportunity to launch a week long campaign to talk the game and more importantly, the competition up.

It's top of table, GF Replay clash on Aurora where Nth Launny have hardly lost a game in 3 years and best player in the state is in purple patch of form as well. So many positives and should be focal point of season thus far.

Not a lot of interest from my post on here either. The competition may be in major strife if the governing body, clubs and rank & file supporter seem apathetic to what is actually on offer this week.

Seen a brief article today in Examiner talking why its being played on a Saturday arvo. Very little content anywhere else.

No news coverage or social media posts from clubs or AFL Tas that I have seen.

Off the back of recent negative coverage, thought it may have been a prime opportunity to launch a week long campaign to talk the game and more importantly, the competition up.

It's top of table, GF Replay clash on Aurora where Nth Launny have hardly lost a game in 3 years and best player in the state is in purple patch of form as well. So many positives and should be focal point of season thus far.

Not a lot of interest from my post on here either. The competition may be in major strife if the governing body, clubs and rank & file supporter seem apathetic to what is actually on offer this week.

It is a sad state of affairs, Local footy has been in decline in the Media since the mid 90's and the turn of this century The ABC covering the old statewide on the radio and TV and the coverage in the local papers, However times change I was out in the car Monday Morning and heard Aaron Cornelius on the Leon Crompton show talking about how all the State League Soccer games are streamed and how he would love that to be the case for SWL imgaine that soccer teaching AFL a lesson how far the game has stagnated and the people in charge take "Tasmania is AFL footy heartland and do SFA"

I remember a few years ago when the ABC walked away from telecasting the SWL after not being able to get funding from AFL tasmania and DuffTV (He got a Permaban on Bigfooty) tried to get something going, but found it was hitting his head against a brick wall trying to deal; with AFL tasmania. Agree or disagree with his comments Darren Winter gets media and the main reason is his "Controversial statements"

The footy hierarchy is now all about AFL nothing else matter and this is the case mainstream local media, anyway the game against North Launceston vs Glenorchy should be a beauty of a game Chatswood, I think the Robins will be to good on Pork Barrel Park.

That's the thing though pal, he says a couple of throw away lines in the media to whip all you blokes into hysteria and get everyone talking, do you honestly think that's what he's saying to his players behind closed doors though?

You don't get it do you.

Short term excitement & alcohol sales versus the long term health of the game.

I guess its a mentality thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back