Dear West Coast,

Remove this Banner Ad

This thing that you're doing.

This thing that is masquerading at football, or as a football club that was burned by a GF loss and is doing everything that it can to go one better.

It's not working and needs to change. Now, before it's too late.

In 2015 we played fast, fluid, instinctive football. We defended brilliantly with an undersized defence. We exceeded all expectations by making the Grand Final but deserved to be there without question.

On the day we were overawed, too inexperienced to cope with a battle hardened opponent that mercilessly exposed our weaknesses. We weren't ready and got embarrassed. In short, we got taught a lesson.

The type of lesson that drives a team to want to get better, to leave no stone unturned to atone, that motivates a pre-season.

Steps were taken to improve the list - outside run with improved disposal and a bigger body for the inside contest were added. Our 2014 B&F winner was returning after sitting out 2015 with a knee reco.

On paper we were an improved side. We were a legitimate challenger.

The reality has fallen short of expectation by some margin

We beatup on the minnows sure, but away from home we met each challenge against a fellow contender and failed. Usually miserably. Then we shat the bed against our first decent opponent at home and coughed up what should have been a match winning lead.

The draw gifted us some "soft" kills after that loss to restore confidence and build momentum. Despite a last quarter fade out at the home of football (the GF venue and home ground of some) it looked to be working.

Today I sat through the most spineless, inept display of football I've had the displeasure of seeing.

We were beaten in every measurable statistic which confirmed what the eyes were seeing - the other side wanted it more, were prepared to work harder, had better structures. We were outplayed. Completely

After wondering just how it was that we weren't further behind than a goal or so for most of the match, I was amazed that somehow we got over the line and won a game we had no right to be even close in.

We got lucky.

But we won and that's the upside

We've been terrible in comparison to last year but miraculously after 17 rounds we're still balls deep in the race for this years flag. A race that we have no right still being in just like 3/4 time of today's game.

Can we go one better in 2016. Right now I doubt it because the effort, the hunger just doesn't seem to be there.

On field we look timid, frightened almost. Off field we've been conservative afraid to take risks. Our structures look wrong and the pieces of the puzzle aren't falling into place the way they did last year.

From the outside the loss of Pyke to Adelaide looks to have left a massive hole but other than him the coaching staff is the same with the addition of the well credentialed Wardorp from Hawthorn. Surely one assistant can't make that much difference. Maybe he does, but even then it only explains the drop in strategy and not the fall in intent and effort.

Maybe the players just expected it would happen. Assumed the improvement would come but are looking to others to improve and not looking within.

I don't know what the answer is but this years version of the West Coast Eagles is a pale imitation of the side from 2015.

There's 5 rounds left and we are equal 2nd on percentage without playing anywhere near our best. Five rounds left to rediscover our mojo, to find form as a club not just onfield but as an organisation.

Time to fix what's broken

Time to Hunt, goddammit.

Last edited:
As much as I agree, we've all made this statement sometime this season. I really don't know if it's going to click for us this season, but hell I hope it does. We were all taught a lesson on what this bunch of players can do, I want to believe. I want to see that form return. Is it too late though? Guess we'll find out.

It's only been in the last couple of weeks that Simmo has opened up and admitted we are not a top 4 side and we have massive issues with consistency and commitment, which is really refreshing to hear. I get the impression that the playing group is convincing him each week during training that they are improving but it seems to get invalided on game day. You can, at times, see the confusion on his face after a bad game. He's turned grey very quickly since becoming our senior coach and I can understand why. I think the group has the talent to go all the way but all of our guys need to be on at all times because we just don't have a critical mass of elite players to turn games and win flags.

Way to make a late run at POTY.

I agree with everything, but I will say on a patting myself on the back kind of way that people were mad for being disappointed with those 10 goals wins we were having at home early in the season. "Goods teams win close ones, I want to see us win a scrappy game, we never fight it out" were common refrains. Does anyone else miss the smashings now? For all the s**t about flat track bullying, there's a confidence and authority that comes with winning games by large margins, and we look as bereft of that right now as we have at any point under Simpsons tenure.

I agree with everything, but I will say on a patting myself on the back kind of way that people were mad for being disappointed with those 10 goals wins we were having at home early in the season. "Goods teams win close ones, I want to see us win a scrappy game, we never fight it out" were common refrains. Does anyone else miss the smashings now? For all the s**t about flat track bullying, there's a confidence and authority that comes with winning games by large margins, and we look as bereft of that right now as we have at any point under Simpsons tenure.

I think because in each of our wins and loses we do it without heart. By that I mean demonstrable commitment by the entire team to will themselves to victory, or at least a never say die attitude when we are down. We have not seen that sort of selflessness since 2006-07 and glimpses last year. We seem to just crank the handle each week and win or lose very badly as a result. I think this stems from a complete lack of leadership and belief within the playing group. Not sure the culture at Subi is one of complete sacrifice to the jumper, to the club and to each other. It's late and I should be in bed.

I hate to rub salt into the wound but our injury run this year has been unusually good. On field performance might turn around next season but injury luck with probably fall away at least a little.

Then, before you know it, our grand final appearance was 2 seasons ago and our stars are aging. Somehow you feel that this is lost on our players.

Capre diem, mother*ers.

Wonder if theres player issues within the group. Bunga is playing god awful footy and like hes carrying an extra weight. He was arguing with Priddis yesterday and that is not something you see from these guys. He was always off the ground first quite a way ahead of the others not involved with the group. Been going on longer than the last couple weeks but wonder if what came out in the paper the other week where he called out the groups hunger is more significant

Most depressing 12-5 season ever.

Any other 12-5 season you think we are in with a chance

This year you look at the rest of the 8 - and imagine being on the g come the big day and think

Haw - *shudder hears choppers "i was only 19". Flashbacks
Syd - *cringe - be gentle
Geelong - danger danger
Ade - *cries
Wb - *whimpers
Giants - maybe
Norf - lol norf we can probably beat these chumps - oh - hang on they will lose week one

Most depressing 12-5 season ever.
Very strange. Living in Melbourne I've been to I think 3 live West Coast games this season including Carlton last week and I can say I left feeling disappointed and dejected all 3 times. Scratching my head thinking 'the boys will click next week and we'll come good' but doesn't seem to happen.

Our players are down on form but I have no doubt the coaching structures are not as good as last year. I see the Crows player under Pyke and I become worried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone keeps mentioning Pyke. Its not like he would have had a secret play book last year he would have collaberated with the others so his knowledge would become ours. An assistant coach doesn't cause that much of a drop off.

Also if you read the Adelaide board some of them are questioning his coaching yesterday with the same things people day about Simpson.

The weird part of the season is you look at the ladder and say how on earth are we in this position, I don't think we have played any better football this year than sides who are 9-13 on the ladder yet we somehow keep winning games which is the huge positive.
Yet we don't hunt in packs like the so called better sides do, our tackling is average at best, our midfield is below average, we are far less accountable it seems than last year but we have turned the ball over a lot more this year which can make you look unaccountable, we have virtually no mongrel in us and hate getting our hands dirty and here we are today in the top 4.
The funny thing is I don't see it as we haven't clicked yet because I don't think this group will ever click, there is something in this groups make up that is lacking, I call it a bit of mongrel, unsociable footy types that we simply don't have and you cannot manufacture, yet still I see it as possible to pinch the flag.
I think Sheed can be a key player for the rest of the year but it's a big ask as he has played little footy, NN returns will help but the reality is we lose most midfield battles with him as well. So we are almost at full strength, I would be happy to draw a line through Jetta, let's face it his best footy at Sydney he only averaged around 15 possessions a game, highly over rated footballer who offers us precious little. Still reckon Reddon long term will be ok without being a star.
Ultimately we could pinch it and while it seems unlikely as when I watch other top sides I say to myself we have no chance against them, funnier things have happened.
Big test next week, if we can beat the Pies and then the dockers we may just find ourselves a game clear in the top 4.
From there anything can happen. Hope is everything and right now for some reason we have plenty.

Feeling happier about yesterday now , as that win *when we had no right to* was Hawthorn-like!
Also vaguely reminiscent of the mid 2000s, when we found a way to win games we had no right to win!

Said this on another thread , but one reason why we are so high on the ladder despite supposedly playing so poorly, is because every other top 8 team apart from Adelaide has lost to at least 1 bottom 8 team ie they have been even more inconsistent than we have been

Praying it isn't our turn next week (given our shaky current form, and our atrocious/embarrassing record against the Pies at the G).

But I'll back us in :)

No Nic Nat = No Flat Tracking
Because he covers over our glaring midfield deficiencies to a degree

We really are spoilt as West Coast supporters. That in no way excuses our performances the past couple of weeks, but we're still getting the job done. Somehow.

I have a guy who has sat behind me for 15 years with not a positive word to say in the time. Last night he said he's definitely not renewing his membership next year (I hear this almost every week for 15 years). Finally, last night, I turn around and say "Good, * off". Imagine supporting teams that have gone 40 years without a flag...

Same guys also hates Jack Darling for some reason. No matter what he does, it comes with a negative comment. Takes a strong lead up mark on the wing "What the * are you doing there, you can't kick a goal this far out". In amongst a flurry of handballs, guy says, "Kick the ******* ball!". Darling picks it up and kicks it forward "Who was that to?! 2 on 1 FFS!". Haha. Must have been his daughter in the tent with Darling or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back