Sports Can you use a public schools' grounds after hours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't mean taggin up da place (ROYZZZ), I'm just wondering about the legalities of using things like ovals and courts outside of school hours. Specifically in Victoria, but even more specifically in the Parkville, North Melbourne, and Flemington areas.

I ask this because a few local schools, all public, seem to lock up the grounds after hours and on weekends.

When I was a kid, we would always use the nets and goals at our primary and high school. Over summer holidays, they'd usually leave the tennis nets up as well. No one ever had an issue with throwing a few balls down on a Sunday, playing around after training on weekdays, or ducking in in January.

Anyone? If gates are closed, is this illegal?

Went past said school today at about 5pm, few kids and parents about but some teachers on the deck too. Still, surely it's allowed?

I don't mean taggin up da place (ROYZZZ), I'm just wondering about the legalities of using things like ovals and courts outside of school hours. Specifically in Victoria, but even more specifically in the Parkville, North Melbourne, and Flemington areas.

I ask this because a few local schools, all public, seem to lock up the grounds after hours and on weekends.

When I was a kid, we would always use the nets and goals at our primary and high school. Over summer holidays, they'd usually leave the tennis nets up as well. No one ever had an issue with throwing a few balls down on a Sunday, playing around after training on weekdays, or ducking in in January.

Anyone? If gates are closed, is this illegal?

Probably locked up so the groundkeepers don't have to remove beer bottles and cigarettes/joints every Monday morning.

As for the legality if you have to climb a fence to get in then probably illegal.

There have been very very high fencing erected around the whole perimeter of my old Government Primary school. Its in a good area but they have felt the need to lock the place down. But Just can't get over how high these cyclone fence's are. With out a doubt near ten feet high, sad reflection of times I'm afraid.:(

There have been very very high fencing erected around the whole perimeter of my old Government Primary school. Its in a good area but they have felt the need to lock the place down. But Just can't get over how high these cyclone fence's are. With out a doubt near ten feet high, sad reflection of times I'm afraid.:(
You know its to keep the little bastards in ;)

Good question.

I know the Inclosed Lands Protection Act 1901 exists in NSW which prevents you from entering public school grounds after hours. There is probably an equivalent in your state, but I know that some schools are very relaxed on these laws and don't mind kids using the play equipment outside of school hours.

What about private schools? Do they own their own land/facilities?

I'm with SA. I always used to use the local school oval, courts etc. growing up and still have the odd game of basketball, tennis, cricket etc. on school grounds if they are available.

A school got back to me and gave me a vaguely threatening but basically baseless reply. It seems they don't even know. Something along the lines of it being needed for school-sanctioned things after the day, which is obvious and fair, but they suggested Arden Street Oval while saying anyone using 'stops' (what is this, a newspaper article detailing North Fremantle versus Midland Junction in 1911?) is not allowed at all. They said 'casual kicks' are fine so I'd say it's cool but they just didn't want to acknowledge that.

TLDR seems most of these places don't even know and considering how underfunded public schools are, the threat of security is pretty minimal. I doubt clearly kicking the footy would see you done for anything. Maybe society in inner Melbourne is less interested than West Aussies in a casual run around at a nearby school.

Public school with a big soccer field nearby mine, locked up but able to get into after just climbing over the fence.

Last time we went there a neighbour from across the road came out saying that the police told them that nobody is allowed in the school, and to call the police if it occurs.

So I'm guessing no, but it probably depends

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really buy the 'what if you hurt yourself?' thing. I could fall over and break my leg just as easily on public school oval as I could in a public park or walking along a public footpath.

My local primary school is next to a park so where the school stops and the park starts is a bit vague. The school uses the oval and nets, courts etc. for sports lessons and the facilities are used by local clubs, hobos like me walking by etc. also.

To be honest, schools are rife with P&C ego tripping housewife mums who have nothing to do in life. They end up hijacking the school for their own social gatherings and quite often stupid regulations are brought in for the sake of it. I remember mums trying to tell us we weren't allowed to use the soccer pitches on school holidays – and they were on the board so we had to listen...

Short of you funding this s**t yourself, and to be honest even if you do it's still irrelevant, these things are a public good. A public school is on public grounds and its ovals etc. should be available to the surrounding community. The school is for the community. That is it. The school isn't some law maker. The grounds are for the school during their hours but aside from that, only the rooms etc. should be locked. If a school doesn't fence a difference between ovals and rooms then it's probably s**t on their end. After all, if some AFL clubs like North, Collingwood, St Kilda, and the Bulldogs allow people to use a ground maintained for professionals, I think schools can too...

I'm not one to cry 'nanny state' or anything but even five to ten years ago when I was just in high school, so many reactionary policies were brought in.

And seriously I mean if someone complains or catches you, apologise, say you didn't know, and walk away. The cops have more important s**t (they should be) getting to. I don't think there'd be too much of a drama.

Have regularly used private and public school footy ovals and cricket nets over the last 10 years and have not been bailed up on it once. No one cares or takes any notice so long as you're just using the facility and no one associated with the school needs it at the time.

Really depends on the school. Some grounds are pretty open and people often use the ovals and what not, these usually tend to be public schools i've found. But there are heaps of Private schools and some public that lock up in which case i'd probably stay clear

Only sign up at the local Primary school (awesome oval, fake turf soccer pitch) says "NO DOGS."
Always kick to kick, hoops or soccer going on there and never had a word about it.

I would suggest that if there is a specific school you wish to use on a regular basis, and if there is no obvious signage telling you one thing or another, simply e-mail the school and ask what is their policy on after hours use. What's the worst thing they can say to you?

I would suggest that if there is a specific school you wish to use on a regular basis, and if there is no obvious signage telling you one thing or another, simply e-mail the school and ask what is their policy on after hours use. What's the worst thing they can say to you?
I did that and got the most vague, pointless reply. Basically they said "go to Arden Street..." but if there was no one around I could use the school, or like, parts of it... there was no threat of security or anything so I'd say it's alright.

My closest school only has the buildings and stuff actually locked away behind tall gates and fences. The footy oval and surrounding areas are open to public, gates are open everyday.

I grew up in the country where you could basically do anything at the school any time of the day. We used to cut through there at 2am to save time. People used the (basic) outdoor gym equipment, the cricket nets, the footy oval, the playground with their kids, walk their dogs etc. It was weird the first time I went out in Melbourne to play basketball. I found a school somewhere in Northcote and started shooting and this guy started yelling at me to get off. I kept playing because I didn't think he was talking to me.

Only sign up at the local Primary school (awesome oval, fake turf soccer pitch) says "NO DOGS."
Always kick to kick, hoops or soccer going on there and never had a word about it.

Take my dog to the local school every now and again and have never seen a sign like that. Reckon i'd probably just ignore it anyway.

Take my dog to the local school every now and again and have never seen a sign like that. Reckon i'd probably just ignore it anyway.

lol yeah people do but I think they put it up because kids kept running in dog s**t at recess/lunch.

Primary school (and neighbouring behaviour management school) near my place have the buildings fenced off but the ovals pretty open. To me that says keep away from the buildings but help yourself to the ovals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back