Sports Can you use a public schools' grounds after hours?

Remove this Banner Ad

You go to some suburbs where public facilities are poor. It is not unheard of for the only basketball court in the suburb to be at the school. That was the situation I was referring to. Some of the suburbs that fit this description not surprisingly have some of the worst obesity rates. Do you really expect teenagers or kids without a car to bus it across suburbs to find a court with no guarantee how busy it will be when they could walk 5-10 minutes to the local school instead.
But these suburbs have an over supply of tennis courts?

why should you not be able to use a basketball court or kick at goals in the school?

what if you live next to the school you have to go to the next suburb to a local park?

warning-fascism-stencil1_djl2qk.jpg

Most likely an insurance/public liability issue.

But these suburbs have an over supply of tennis courts?
Yes. Serious. Even right now they are constructing a tennis centre on Main North Road in Adelaide in the middle of some of the poorest suburbs. You may get a ring in a park but courts are in damn low supply in some of these suburbs and if there is a court it is more likely to be a tennis court.

Yes. Serious. Even right now they are constructing a tennis centre on Main North Road in Adelaide in the middle of some of the poorest suburbs. You may get a ring in a park but courts are in damn low supply in some of these suburbs and if there is a court it is more likely to be a tennis court.
So in that whole area how many basketball courts are there and how many tennis courts?

And how does having tennis courts but not enough basketball courts lead to obesity?

Kids who set fire to school buildings are probably to blame for this.
It's not Facism - it's the sense of inherited entitlement where some kids believe that they can do anything they want and get away with it.
I can go to some towns and not get in the s**t for using their tennis nets in January. Maybe that's changed but as people in here have attested to... this used to be really common. After school I remember teachers used to have a go at us for using the soccer grounds and would make us leave. Pretty ludicrous but I'd suggest that's just ego tripping.

Also if someone is going to burn down a school, it's not very hard to cut open some wire and jump a fence to do it. And how many schools really have damage more than a smashed window? I don't know.

I went to use the practice tennis wall at the school tennis/basketball courts recently but they've now locked them off at the gates now. I reckon it's stupid because there is pretty much nothing in there that can really get damaged and all the actual school buildings themselves (a far more juicy vandalism target) are all completely open with no fencing at all.

I really don't think any school is going to have an issue with kids having a kick or a hit on their grounds after hours if they are not causing any trouble.

Large open space suitable for kicking a footy within walking distance can be hard to find, schools are a good option.

I've never really thought about it. I've always gone to one of the local schools to have a shoot around, accepted the very basic standard of the backboards and rings, keep to myself and basically don't cause any trouble or interact with anyone else unless absolutely necessary and I don't start an impromptu dunk contest so I can damage their property and feel like a big man. If a local school has some nicer courts and they've locked them up, I've always just figured 'fair enough'.

The school that I've generally gone to is pretty busy and the basketball courts and ovals are right on the road. It's seldom that I'd be the only one there, but it happens. With locations like that, it almost seems counter-intuitive to lock them up to stop dead shits smashing bottles and ripping bongs, because the fact that it's so busy after hours means they'd probably find somewhere else to do that sort of crap.

I walk my dog down & around the high school near me all the time. Had the cops called on me once by a passer-by I guess (they do have problems with vandalism because its all open), the cops just came over & once they realised I wasn't a dropkick causing trouble they played frisbee with my dog for a couple of minutes & pissed off
normally just give the teachers a wave if any are about & its all good

I walk my dog down & around the high school near me all the time. Had the cops called on me once by a passer-by I guess (they do have problems with vandalism because its all open), the cops just came over & once they realised I wasn't a dropkick causing trouble they played frisbee with my dog for a couple of minutes & pissed off
normally just give the teachers a wave if any are about & its all good

I like stories like this. It's great to see cops using common sense and better than that.........getting involved in the community.

Being a cop would suck, having to deal with dregs. They deserve to have a little fun and deserve a bonus in their pay for doing so.

Well done Jaxes and Jaxes' dog to!

I like stories like this. It's great to see cops using common sense and better than that.........getting involved in the community.

Being a cop would suck, having to deal with dregs. They deserve to have a little fun and deserve a bonus in their pay for doing so.

Well done Jaxes and Jaxes' dog to!

could have gone the other way and dog and dog owner get pepper sprayed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard the education minister talking on this exact subject a few days ago, she said they encourage it, they are essentially community spaces and like to see them used, however, she did reiterate that in school hours, school activities come first and there is the peddy factor, but out of hours the more people using the space the better.

That actually makes sense if the grounds are full of people having a kick or a hit, the safer they will be.

Well nobody is going to try and have a kick at 1pm on a Tuesday, are they? Like a heap of people in the education system there's just a lot of ego trippers and power-hungry wives in admin who are keen to put some sort of authority. I know way too many schools lock up and it's their idea, doubt it's actually being enforced by the government or whatever.

I still sometimes go to a local school to kick the footy, or soccer or basketball. the fence around the oval has a gap in it acting as a gate, so that's never closed. there is a gate on the other side of the school which is always open too.

There's a primary school near my missus joint, open gate even after hours which is strange considering there's a massive fence around it.

Generally go through the gate and have a kick at the school, has footy posts so make good use of em.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You'd hope so. Got booted out of a school a while back shooting on their wide open courts. Gardener told us we were trespassing and to * off. Pretty sure it was a private school, so fair enough. Balled a couple of times at my high school which was private on weekends and nobody ever gave a s**t.

As others have said it's really sad if schools start preventing people from entering. Private schools fair enough although plenty always left their outside rings open for people to use and nobody gave a s**t. Public schools absolutely you should be allowed though. Unless the government wants to get with the times and build some better sporting facilities where else can people play basketball, have a hit of cricket etc?

It's always pissed me off that the government has never gotten with the times in this country and bought in some proper basketball courts. I don't want full blown Venice Beach courts, but something better than a pathetic little square any kid can put in his backyard. Basketball was always one of the more popular sports amongst boys as a kid for me and we were always left battling for courts. It's even bigger now and I've seen next to no changes in courts.

You'd hope so. Got booted out of a school a while back shooting on their wide open courts. Gardener told us we were trespassing and to **** off. Pretty sure it was a private school, so fair enough. Balled a couple of times at my high school which was private on weekends and nobody ever gave a s**t.

As others have said it's really sad if schools start preventing people from entering. Private schools fair enough although plenty always left their outside rings open for people to use and nobody gave a s**t. Public schools absolutely you should be allowed though. Unless the government wants to get with the times and build some better sporting facilities where else can people play basketball, have a hit of cricket etc?

It's always pissed me off that the government has never gotten with the times in this country and bought in some proper basketball courts. I don't want full blown Venice Beach courts, but something better than a pathetic little square any kid can put in his backyard. Basketball was always one of the more popular sports amongst boys as a kid for me and we were always left battling for courts. It's even bigger now and I've seen next to no changes in courts.
Have no problem with the message here.

I know tennis courts doubled as netball courts etc . I think the big issue for councils etc are the campaigners who think dunking and hanging is more fun than keeping the boards unbroken/bent for the next group.

I think it's still galling for private schools... those pricks still get government funding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back