Sports Can you use a public schools' grounds after hours?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
my 3 grand kids go to an inner suburban brisbane state primary school and they encourage community use of their oval, playground equipment and tennis court, free of charge. i have taken the grand kids down there a few times when i have been looking after them for a kick to kick or a play.

Apr 13, 2008
Drunk in a ditch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Psyduck, Psyduck, Psyduck
Try this ....

Government schools are not public places. There is no general right for the public to enter school premises.

The Minister for Education is the registered owner of all land held by the Department for the purpose of operating Government schools. The Minister therefore has the power to determine who may enter, and remain on, school premises. These functions and powers have been delegated to school principals.

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/school/principals/spag/governance/Pages/trespassers.aspx

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
I say no its not ok. If you hurt yourself on the equipment or grounds are you going to sue the school? I know many people say no, but it happens. One person tried suing a school I worked at because their children have come into the grounds and one broke their arm on the monkey bars. It was outside of school hours and the kids weren't supervised.

If you damage the property are you going to foot the bill? We have had windows smashed with cricket balls by people who have used the cricket pitch near portables and at one school a basketball rim was so badly damaged by people dunking that it was breaking away from the backboard. Not to mention the empty beer bottles and cigarette butts and graffiti that I have seen at schools during my tenure. Schools have had to install security cameras because of this type of behaviour.

Just because it is there, doesn't mean you can just use it without permission.

Seems it's happened.

Brave new world.

that's sad

it's actually embarrassing what our nation has become with red tape and risk adverse bureaucrats running the joint

Barney_stinson

All Australian
Mar 2, 2010
Townsville
AFL Club
Adelaide
Primary school (and neighbouring behaviour management school) near my place have the buildings fenced off but the ovals pretty open. To me that says keep away from the buildings but help yourself to the ovals.

This is usually the norm.

The school should have a boundary of a big black fence and gate and they block the buildings and office but the oval and play equipment is isolated to be used on weekends.

This is usually the norm.

The school should have a boundary of a big black fence and gate and they block the buildings and office but the oval and play equipment is isolated to be used on weekends.

yep

but that would require common sense

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
I use to play kick to kick on my primary school oval with friends on weekends and after school hours.We just jumped the fence or went through a gate they never locked.
If its on the weekends, i don't see a problem with that.

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
There have been very very high fencing erected around the whole perimeter of my old Government Primary school. Its in a good area but they have felt the need to lock the place down. But Just can't get over how high these cyclone fence's are. With out a doubt near ten feet high, sad reflection of times I'm afraid.:(

its like the empty basketball court is laughing at you

god dam unaustralian

Watchyourwaite

Deleted
Pokemon is Life Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
We can't have nice things. Don't blame the schools, blame the dickheads that rekt the joints with vandalism, graffiti, rubbish, smashed glass bottles etc. All costs a lot of money to continuously repair, reseed, repaint, etc etc. Cheaper to put up a fence than get sued because a kid sliced his leg open on school grounds.

We can't have nice things. Don't blame the schools, blame the dickheads that rekt the joints with vandalism, graffiti, rubbish, smashed glass bottles etc. All costs a lot of money to continuously repair, reseed, repaint, etc etc. Cheaper to put up a fence than get sued because a kid sliced his leg open on school grounds.

to think we have 25% unemployment rates and at the same time can't find the human resources to make our schools, train stations and other public areas open and safe.

apparently it is better to pay people to sit down and shut up

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When I go home for Christmas to my parents in Tasmania we walk the dog, play cricket and kick the footy at the local primary school (next door). My younger cousins also use the hill to slide down on cardboard.

Obviously not during school hours or after-school care either. We pick up after our dog. And we keep away from the windows etc.

I reckon nearly everyone in the vicinity uses the school grounds to walk through etc, including walking their dogs, and from what I see everyone respects the use. Sometimes you get the occasional kid on a mini-bike or something, which is probably a bit far, but also I've never seen the grass torn up either.

Would think it depends on local community and how and when you are using it. Silent Alarm I would hope it is correct in that even if you're not meant to be on it, you're not going to be in trouble if you simply excuse yourself off the grounds without making a fuss. People can't be that uptight can they?

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just another reason today's kids are turning into a bunch of fat pansys.

My mates and I would constantly be at the school oval playing cricket/footy/soccer. After school hours. Weekends. Holidays. You name it.

Other groups of kids would play their games there also. Would often end up in a big match one group vs the other.

We should be encouraging kids to get out and be active. Not making it harder for then to find a place to kick a bloody ball around.

Just another reason today's kids are turning into a bunch of fat pansys.

My mates and I would constantly be at the school oval playing cricket/footy/soccer. After school hours. Weekends. Holidays. You name it.

Other groups of kids would play their games there also. Would often end up in a big match one group vs the other.

We should be encouraging kids to get out and be active. Not making it harder for then to find a place to kick a bloody ball around.

but someone may stub their toe kicking the ball and get hurt..... and then what?

Generally you'd need to get permission to do so (and I'd suggest it's generally granted unless there's an organised activity going on). Not that any schools that don't have caretakers would care all that much unless there's property damage.

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
Most are fenced these days. Why don't you just go to the local park :huh:

why should you not be able to use a basketball court or kick at goals in the school?

what if you live next to the school you have to go to the next suburb to a local park?

warning-fascism-stencil1_djl2qk.jpg

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
why should you not be able to use a basketball court or kick at goals in the school?

what if you live next to the school you have to go to the next suburb to a local park?

warning-fascism-stencil1_djl2qk.jpg
Kids who set fire to school buildings are probably to blame for this.
It's not Facism - it's the sense of inherited entitlement where some kids believe that they can do anything they want and get away with it.

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
its like the empty basketball court is laughing at you

god dam unaustralian
So much this. The oversupply of public tennis courts and under supply of public basketball courts especially in poorer areas where the interest in playing tennis is nearly non existent yet the popularity of basketball is huge irks me. When the only available basketball courts are in public schools built with taxpayers money and they are locked up it just rubs salt into the wound.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
So much this. The oversupply of public tennis courts and under supply of public basketball courts especially in poorer areas where the interest in playing tennis is nearly non existent yet the popularity of basketball is huge irks me. When the only available basketball courts are in public schools built with taxpayers money and they are locked up it just rubs salt into the wound.
Not sure what universe you are living in :drunk:

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
Not sure what universe you are living in :drunk:
You go to some suburbs where public facilities are poor. It is not unheard of for the only basketball court in the suburb to be at the school. That was the situation I was referring to. Some of the suburbs that fit this description not surprisingly have some of the worst obesity rates. Do you really expect teenagers or kids without a car to bus it across suburbs to find a court with no guarantee how busy it will be when they could walk 5-10 minutes to the local school instead.

Back