Paul Roos - not the messiah - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos has been fantastic for the club, anyone who says otherwise hasn't been paying attention or is just a bit of a dunce.

I will say this though, he is in a no-lose situation from here regarding his legacy. If we go on to improve it will be put down to him. If we don't improve it will be because he left and had he stayed on we would have kept on the upward trend. Good on him though, he has deserved every cent he's got not just for his coaching but for his ability to help rehabilitate the whole club and buy the club time from the bloodhound gang in the media that a rookie coach just wouldn't have got.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Garland has hardly played all year and not since the first half of the season. Terlich is ridiculous to bring up he hasn't played for 2 seasons and will be delisted. Pedersen should have played and bringing in Weideman for him was the wrong move especially if it was done "for next year" when we have two games left and are still in the hunt for finals.

If we sacrificed potential finals this year for the sake of an extra game or two into young kids to help their development for next year then it was completely the wrong move. The development of the team as a whole would have been far better had we made finals rather than the development of one kid in his 2nd game who struggled to touch the footy.

Well, I disagree. I don't think we ever had a realistic chance of making finals, I also don't think he would have been good if we did. We would have been completely cooked and would have got absolutely smashed.

Guys like Garland haven't played (even though they would have been better in the short term) because the team is still being developed for the future.

Are you angry at the club because of the team they played?

Well, I disagree. I don't think we ever had a realistic chance of making finals, I also don't think he would have been good if we did. We would have been completely cooked and would have got absolutely smashed.

Guys like Garland haven't played (even though they would have been better in the short term) because the team is still being developed for the future.

Are you angry at the club because of the team they played?

I think the selections this week were atrocious yes considering we dropped a hard bodied experienced guy who has been in good form for a second gamer who hadn't played in a fortnight. Especially considering the conditions. I also think making 3 changes to a team in good form was stupid - dropping Harmes who has his deficiencies but who shows endeavour for Michie/ANB was dumb and not bringing in Kennedy (who has shown form as a dangerous small forward this season) for Garlett was really dumb.

To say we were not a "realistic" chance at finals is quite stupid too, considering had we won yesterday we would have been.

I think the selections this week were atrocious yes considering we dropped a hard bodied experienced guy who has been in good form for a second gamer who hadn't played in a fortnight. Especially considering the conditions. I also think making 3 changes to a team in good form was stupid - dropping Harmes who has his deficiencies but who shows endeavour for Michie/ANB was dumb and not bringing in Kennedy (who has shown form as a dangerous small forward this season) for Garlett was really dumb.

To say we were not a "realistic" chance at finals is quite stupid too, considering had we won yesterday we would have been.

Stupid eh?

Well, enjoy your anger at the club, me personally, I'm really looking forward to next year.

Roos has been fantastic for the club, anyone who says otherwise hasn't been paying attention or is just a bit of a dunce.

I will say this though, he is in a no-lose situation from here regarding his legacy. If we go on to improve it will be put down to him. If we don't improve it will be because he left and had he stayed on we would have kept on the upward trend. Good on him though, he has deserved every cent he's got not just for his coaching but for his ability to help rehabilitate the whole club and buy the club time from the bloodhound gang in the media that a rookie coach just wouldn't have got.

Exactly. And on the other hand Goodwin is in a no-win situation. If the team does well it's all because of Roos, and if not, it's all on him.

Exactly. And on the other hand Goodwin is in a no-win situation. If the team does well it's all because of Roos, and if not, it's all on him.
I diagree, if we improve next year all of the troll boys on here and some in the media will be all 'why did they need to pay Roos when Goodwin has done a better job? Blah, blah, blah

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Stupid eh?

Well, enjoy your anger at the club, me personally, I'm really looking forward to next year.

Who is angry at the club? I said I thought some of the selections for the weekend were stupid doesn't mean I don't think we're tracking in the right direction. It's not black and white.

Nah I think Goodwin will be able to take the credit if we continue upwards it's just that the acknowledgment will be there that Roos helped set them up (similar to Barassi/Northey in the 80's or Barassi/Eade at the Swans).

Who is angry at the club? I said I thought some of the selections for the weekend were stupid doesn't mean I don't think we're tracking in the right direction. It's not black and white.

I misinterpreted your post, my apologies.

I asked you if you were angry at the club and your first line in your reply was:

I think the selections this week were atrocious yes

I presumed you were saying yes in reply to my question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I think Goodwin will be able to take the credit if we continue upwards it's just that the acknowledgment will be there that Roos helped set them up (similar to Barassi/Northey in the 80's or Barassi/Eade at the Swans).

Sure, he will get some credit. But the foundations laid by Roos will always be hanging over his head and be a talking point with any success Goodwin gets IMO.

The result was borne out of the fact that the team has been the youngest and least experienced more often than any other club this year.

In this context 2016 has been phenomenal. You simply don't have the mental skills to appreciate the nuance of football and isolated results.

2013 - 2 wins and 54%, 2014 - 4 wins, 2015 - 7 wins, 2016 - 10 wins and 103% with the youngest and least experienced team in the competition.

The Melbourne Football Club is perfectly placed to have a crack at a flag over the next 3-5 years.
Well good luck and maybe you'll get your finals. The fact is that you missed out again, every game is different , every win or loss is different numbers mean nothing, maybe you are improved, what if things go haywire next season , it happens , its why clubs take so many years , you are the first of all the football clubs in Australia , and sometime or other you should get back to the top .

It just aint that easy mate, develop this year yep, but anything can happen , look at the world beaters Freo, and Port 2013 ,2014 , neither in finals this year, one totally under achieved, the other just turned to rabble. Take your pick.

One player does not make a season. Three champions do not make a season.

A "legend" of coaching, use that word carefully , doesn't bring any thing any different from winning 4 games or winning 10 or 11,

YOUR STILL NOT PLAYING FINALS. My club is not looking too hot but they've made their way and THEY ARE PLAYING FINALS, there turn will come to sit at the lower end for years , because the playing pool won't cover 18 clubs.

So don't talk to me about the nuances of football, or having the mental skills.

What I have, is observation, in the fact of what I see.

I have been following footy all my life , perhaps its you who need a lesson in reality.

And once again the AFL has crucified the game for TV money, changing the rules, coaches are changing the look of the game to win at all costs, keepings off is a new normal now, perfected by my team, great if you have the skilled players to do it, it even feels good to watch although not really a positive for football, but its your club. Lessor players have NOT A HOPE IN HADES of competing with that, but the skilled boys eventually get old and retire. It'll happen.

What should happen for Melbourne , to not take a long while to be "really" successful, is, that the AFL get the sack, and we set up 14 or if we have to , a 16 team comp again , get rid of GWS and GC17 and give the true elites from those clubs out to some of the lower clubs to EVEN or if you like LEVEL the playing field which it is not at the moment.
Then every one may get a chance to be a big gun.

But at the moment there are too many toughies in town and out of town for Melbourne to challenge , as what happened against Carlton(CARLTON...9 loss s' in a row) the Blues who shot you down in the street, when you were??????? going to make it.

These comments from me are not about bloody Melbourne they are about football Aussie style for every one, which is now a two division competition.
And you guys and Richmond and a couple of others can pick who'll be leaders in division two.

That OK for mental skills, have a shot at that one?? By the way no offence meant. Brother. Just horrid little facts.And probabilities!

I think he would be happy as to where he will be leading the club: in the right direction. Have a great core of young guys I love the spark of players like Gawn, Viney, Petracca they seem to have a fierce competitive edge to them.

Well good luck and maybe you'll get your finals. The fact is that you missed out again, every game is different , every win or loss is different numbers mean nothing, maybe you are improved, what if things go haywire next season , it happens , its why clubs take so many years , you are the first of all the football clubs in Australia , and sometime or other you should get back to the top .

It just aint that easy mate, develop this year yep, but anything can happen , look at the world beaters Freo, and Port 2013 ,2014 , neither in finals this year, one totally under achieved, the other just turned to rabble. Take your pick.

A "legend" of coaching, use that word carefully , doesn't bring any thing any different from winning 4 games or winning 10 or 11,

YOUR STILL NOT PLAYING FINALS. My club is not looking too hot but they've made their way and THEY ARE PLAYING FINALS, there turn will come to sit at the lower end for years , because the playing pool won't cover 18 clubs.

I have been following footy all my life , perhaps its you who need a lesson in reality.

And once again the AFL has crucified the game for TV money, changing the rules, coaches are changing the look of the game to win at all costs, keepings off is a new normal now, perfected by my team, great if you have the skilled players to do it, it even feels good to watch although not really a positive for football, but its your club. Lessor players have NOT A HOPE IN HADES of competing with that, but the skilled boys eventually get old and retire. It'll happen.

!
What are people smoking? Look at the Demons' trajectory. THREE years they were deep in debt and absolutely demoralised. Since, they've improved every year in every facet of the game and this was their best season in what - ten years? It's not a big deal if they don't make the finals. . You build a good club out of a good off-field team, and guys like Jackson, Goodwin, Dave Mission have been just as important as Roos.

As well as a great young list they have players like Jack Watts now playing to their potential. That's really the measure of a good club - you get players to play as well as they can. The Demons losing to another rebuilding team desperate for a win isn't so surprising. They can take a huge amount out of this year. The pressure will be on them next year though.

What should happen for Melbourne , to not take a long while to be "really" successful, is, that the AFL get the sack, and we set up 14 or if we have to , a 16 team comp again , get rid of GWS and GC17 and give the true elites from those clubs out to some of the lower clubs to EVEN or if you like LEVEL the playing field which it is not at the moment.

But at the moment there are too many toughies in town and out of town for Melbourne to challenge , as what happened against Carlton(CARLTON...9 loss s' in a row) the Blues who shot you down in the street, when you were??????? going to make it.

These comments from me are not about bloody Melbourne they are about football Aussie style for every one, which is now a two division competition.
And you guys and Richmond and a couple of others can pick who'll be leaders in division two.

That OK for mental skills, have a shot at that one?? By the way no offence meant. Brother. Just horrid little facts.And probabilities!

Settle.... You must have a short memory, the mid 2000's your side was around the bottom of the ladder. Give us Melbourne supporters a break, we are finally starting to see improvements & hopefully we are on the right track & finals arent too far away. Must have a chip on your shoulder cos that mediocre side who lost to Carlton beat you & could cost you a home final....

Roos has done a great job, as has Peter Jackson.

The AFL must be very happy with the return on their investment to this point.

His biggest success is instilling the culture of actually wanting to get better and attack each game aiming to win.

Max Gawn spent the last off season on a mission to become the fittest ruckman in the game, so that he could compete with the likes of Goldstein.

This would never have happened without Roos helping the team believe they could be the best in the comp.

You have to applaud Roos and Co for putting this list together and having the guts to play an extremely young side week after week. Leaving guys like Grimes Dunn Garland Trengove in the VFL. Get another 20 odd games into this side and perhaps a couple of others such as Melksham and Hibberd in to the side and we'll improve much more.
The youth approach is a risky move but we've seemed to have mostly nailed the list management lately. Look at the team this year most weeks half our side picked each week has debuted in last two years.

Are you Greg Denham or Patrick Smith?

If we sacrificed potential finals this year for the sake of an extra game or two into young kids to help their development for next year then it was completely the wrong move. The development of the team as a whole would have been far better had we made finals rather than the development of one kid in his 2nd game who struggled to touch the footy.
That's the story of the whole year, isn't it? Hunt, Wagner and O'mac were getting games ahead of Grimes, Garland and Dunn early in the piece. O'mac (in particular) didn't look ready. No one expected Weedymann to be named, and despite kicking two against the Hawks it was surprising he got the nod against Carlton.

I was gutted to lose to the Blues but even if we'd made the right decisions at the selection table we probably wouldn't have won.

For now I'm happy to trust that Roos' commitment to development will pay off next year. He had Sydney missing the finals but they got a premiership under Horse not long after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back