Paul Roos - not the messiah - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

From: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/paul-roos-not-the-messiah.1055504/

Still think this thread is relevant. It seems like Melbourne have gone backwards these first two games. Don't look fit enough out there, I wonder if they practiced the new rotation caps at all over the pre-season?

Though I'm sure Roos will tell us whose fault it is, be it the so called "negative fans" , the players or support staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost feel Melbourne would be better off to hand the reigns to Simon Goodwin now rather than from the start of next year.

Roos has achieved the objective of making Melbourne a competitive side again and stabilising them to an extent but I think Goodwin is the man to take them forward in the future now.

Still think this thread is relevant. It seems like Melbourne have gone backwards these first two games. Don't look fit enough out there, I wonder if they practiced the new rotation caps at all over the pre-season?

Though I'm sure Roos will tell us whose fault it is, be it the so called "negative fans" , the players or support staff.
We won last week on the back of running out the game the stronger with 10 rotations under the cap.

We won last week on the back of running out the game the stronger with 10 rotations under the cap.

Fair enough, I was more attributing it to the lack of pressure Essendon had.

I almost feel Melbourne would be better off to hand the reigns to Simon Goodwin now rather than from the start of next year.

Roos has achieved the objective of making Melbourne a competitive side again and stabilising them to an extent but I think Goodwin is the man to take them forward in the future now.
It's tempting to agree on the back of today. Will wait and see what can be rectified over the next few weeks.

I don't own a donkey. :)

Do you think the teams fitness today had no bearing on the result?
Nothing to do with fitness. The players turned up expecting to win and simply didn't try hard enough.

And we inexplicably picked only one key defender, who had an absolute shocker, so Joe Daniher went on a rampage and no-one could stop him.

Fair enough, I was more attributing it to the lack of pressure Essendon had.

I think it was the mindset of the players going into the game more than anything else. I'm pretty annoyed Roos couldn't stop the players from getting big heads after a win but we showed immaturity yet again yesterday.

That is our biggest cultural concern and has to be the main thing the club focuses on getting out of our team by the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was never the mission brief for this role.

His job was to create a winning culture. Jack Viney admitted on radio that they weren't switched on, that is Roos's job to make sure that doesn't happen. You haven't won 2 games in a row since 2011 and never had a better chance than yesterday. How can he let your team go out like that when he is apparently creating a culture for long term success??

His job was to create a winning culture. Jack Viney admitted on radio that they weren't switched on, that is Roos's job to make sure that doesn't happen. You haven't won 2 games in a row since 2011 and never had a better chance than yesterday. How can he let your team go out like that when he is apparently creating a culture for long term success??

I don't disagree; we were ordinary yesterday and he is responsible for that.

Just pointing out that anybody who thinks he was appointed to win a premiership (or took the job to win a flag) is missing the point.

I don't disagree; we were ordinary yesterday and he is responsible for that.

Just pointing out that anybody who thinks he was appointed to win a premiership (or took the job to win a flag) is missing the point.

Oh no doubt, he was never there to win you a flag in his tenure, but to set you up to win one once he's gone. Not sure though if, as a club, you are any better than you were before he came. Really, by signing good players you'll systemically get better, I think the sooner Goodwin can take control the better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back