The "It's not fair that we have to play Geelong in Geelong" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Victorian club ever gets all of its home games at the one ground. It has been this way since the 1970s when clubs started playing home games at VFL Park and the MCG. Geelong isn't exempt and nor should they be.

Oh here is another look over there from a Collingwood fan.

I'll restate - every single club in the AFL comes to Geelong to play away games, not every club every year but they all do.

Except one club that gets to host Geelong at their home ground for every game the two clubs play.

Oh here is another look over there from a Collingwood fan.

I'll restate - every single club in the AFL comes to Geelong to play away games, not every club every year but they all do.

Except one club that gets to host Geelong at their home ground for every game the two clubs play.
They'll continue to bury their head in the sand because it doesn't affect their club....if they only could play only 9 Home games at the MCG but were forced to move multiple Home games to Marvel against Marvel tenants their outrage would be non stop LOL

Did they make the ground adult size in the redevelopment?

We would pump them down there anyway just like we do the interstate clubs on their turf regularly.

It’s a different city. In a regional scenario a THIRTY minute gap would be considered way too far and you would never even entertain the thought of hosting a game in another town against that town - I think a couple of comps have rules regarding grand finals which is no different to the AFL anyway - let alone a 60 minute gap.

Heritage Bank Stadium on the Gold Coast is roughly the same distance away from the Gabba than Kardinia is from the MCG (pretty sure Kardinia is even further?)

Just looked it up!
KARDINIA TO MCG is: 76.3km and over an hour away by road
HERITAGE BANK TO GABBA is: 72.5km and just short of an hour away by road.

Yet we don't hear Gold Coast getting their games moved to the Gabba for "attendance/ticketing" reasons and HB stadium holds way less (23k) than Kardinia does (40k), Kardinia still held more even during construction (24k)....where are all the big MCG tenants standing up for their little buddy Gold Coast?....oh that's right their games don't get moved and it doesn't affect the big Melbourne clubs so they don't give two shits about attendance/ticketing. Only hold that standard when it comes to affecting their games.

Anyone who uses the "Cats should play Home games at the G to fit people in" is being a facetious a-hole.
It's a GEELONG HOME GAME not the opposition's Home game.
Opposition Away fans/members shouldn't even factor into the equation.

Heritage Bank Stadium on the Gold Coast is roughly the same distance away from the Gabba than Kardinia is from the MCG (pretty sure Kardinia is even further?)

Just looked it up!
KARDINIA TO MCG is: 76.3km and over an hour away by road
HERITAGE BANK TO GABBA is: 72.5km and just short of an hour away by road.

Yet we don't hear Gold Coast getting their games moved to the Gabba for "attendance/ticketing" reasons and HB stadium holds way less (23k) than Kardinia does (40k), Kardinia still held more even during construction (24k)....where are all the big MCG tenants standing up for their little buddy Gold Coast?....oh that's right their games don't get moved and it doesn't affect the big Melbourne clubs so they don't give two shits about attendance/ticketing. Only hold that standard when it comes to affecting their games.

Anyone who uses the "Cats should play Home games at the G to fit people in" is being a facetious a-hole.
It's a GEELONG HOME GAME not the opposition's Home game.
Opposition Away fans/members shouldn't even factor into the equation.
Ok, you seem to think attendance isn't the reason, so tell us what is the reason you play home games at the G is?

Ok, you seem to think attendance isn't the reason, so tell us what is the reason you play home games at the G is?
AFL dictate that we do because it makes them money and are contracted to do so?

Same reason Tigers, Pies etc have to play Home Games at Marvel as there are contracts in place and that always brings up complaints from those fanbases....while they get to play non Vic teams there.

Our boys have to play MCG tenants at their Home ground in our "Home game" to a majority Away biased crowd.
Tigers and Pies travel 5 minutes down the road and get majority Home crowd advantage even when they have to "travel"

Cats make twice as much money playing to a sold out Kardinia than the G. They need at least roughly 75k at the G to breakeven on all the lost out revenue from vendors, merch, sponsorship stuff etc.
The fact this is even a conversation when no other sporting organisation does this speaks volumes to the uneven playing field.

Last edited:
AFL dictate that we do because it makes them money and are contracted to do so?

Same reason Tigers, Pies etc have to play Home Games at Marvel as there are contracts in place and that always brings up complaints from those fanbases....while they get to play non Vic teams there.

Our boys have to play MCG tenants at their Home ground in our "Home game" to a majority Away biased crowd.
Tigers and Pies travel 5 minutes down the road and get majority Home crowd advantage even when they have to "travel"

Cats make twice as much money playing to a sold out Kardinia than the G. They need at least roughly 75k to breakeven on all the lost out revenue.
I would rather we play Geelong in Geelong if it was for just win loss, we have a better winning record in Geelong.

Hey?
Has Phillip Island got a footy ground, if it's not about crowds or money, we could play down there, I hear they have a car racing track also.

I would rather we play Geelong in Geelong if it was for just win loss, we have a better winning record in Geelong.

Hey?
Has Phillip Island got a footy ground, if it's not about crowds or money, we could play down there, I hear they have a car racing track also.
You haven't played in Geelong since before 99% of your players were born. That has absolute zero bearing on 2024 and onward.
Cats have a better record than Pies in the AFL era so going by that Cats should automatically win rightt? righhhht?

No! Because taking data from 30 or 20 or 10 or even 5 years ago doesn't matter to the current day squads.

There's no team based in that location so your strawman is an absoute s**t take, especially when your club wouldn't travel cause they afraid of going 5m away from the G for more than a week at a time.... "biggest club in the land" my ass....West Coast way bigger and better.

Hey?

Someone making sarcastic point about geography and cultural features of a particular part of the world to draw your attention to that area and make a relative comparison seems to have really raised your hackles on this issue

You haven't played in Geelong since before 99% of your players were born. That has absolute zero bearing on 2024 and onward.
Cats have a better record than Pies in the AFL era so going by that Cats should automatically win rightt? righhhht?

No! Because taking data from 30 or 20 or 10 or even 5 years ago doesn't matter to the current day squads.

There's no team based in that location so your strawman is an absoute s**t take, especially when your club wouldn't travel cause they afraid of going 5m away from the G for more than a week at a time.... "biggest club in the land" my ass....West Coast way bigger and better.
Oh ok, so stats mean nothing, but guessing means so much more, I get it, you are one of those "I am right and what ever you say means 0"
Collingwood have a better winning record in Geelong than at the MCG, deal with it, it may change, but at the moment that is a fact.

Do you think it scares us for some reason, we actually don't make the rules you know.

Last edited:
Someone making sarcastic point about geography and cultural features of a particular part of the world to draw your attention to that area and make a relative comparison seems to have really raised your hackles on this issue
Wow didn't take you long, I thought you would like to go to PI to watch us play as you seem to be into car racing.

But you probably didn't know PI had a track, anyway, now you do.

Wow didn't take you long, I thought you would like to go to PI to watch us play as you seem to be into car racing.

But you probably didn't know PI had a track, anyway, now you do.

That’s what 50, 55 posts you’ve made now without even attempting to address what I initially pretty much asked.

Would you expect any team in the county to move a home game to a neighbouring country town half an hour away let alone an hour away, to play the team based in that town?

Or are you going to keep making unrelated shitposts about a point that nobody even made to try and make it look as though you’ve said something relevant?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s what 50, 55 posts you’ve made now without even attempting to address what I initially pretty much asked.

Would you expect any team in the county to move a home game to a neighbouring country town half an hour away let alone an hour away, to play the team based in that town?

Or are you going to keep making unrelated shitposts about a point that nobody even made to try and make it look as though you’ve said something relevant?
I couldn't care less what you want, you tried to belittle people and now you're getting upset because i keep bringing it up.
If you can't handle that, then don't try acting so "look how clever I am"

I told you about your post, it has FA to do with the Geelong v Collingwood/R/C/E situations, just because in your brain you think it does, does not make it so.

Edit: there is a top contributors up top you can check, as usual, you are making up crap again.

if they only could play only 9 Home games at the MCG but were forced to move multiple Home games to Marvel against Marvel tenants their outrage would be non stop LOL
I'm not sure if you realise but Collingwood does only play 9 home games at the MCG and is forced to host home games at Marvel against Marvel tenants every single year.

I couldn't care less what you want, you tried to belittle people and now you're getting upset because i keep bringing it up.
If you can't handle that, then don't try acting so "look how clever I am"

I told you about your post, it has FA to do with the Geelong v Collingwood/R/C/E situations, just because in your brain you think it does, does not make it so.

Edit: there is a top contributors up top you can check, as usual, you are making up crap again.

What? I know I’ve posted heaps on it. It’s a subject I care a lot about.

I’m asking why you’ve done nothing in relation to what I asked you but simply latch onto a sarcastic comment I made like it’s an oxygen tank and not address the actual point being made:

You know as well as I do that the circumstance I’m talking about would not fly in any sporting competition in any regional part of Australia so why does the fact that it’s two cities make any difference? It has nothing to do with how clever I am. It’s common sense

What? I know I’ve posted heaps on it. It’s a subject I care a lot about.

I’m asking why you’ve done nothing in relation to what I asked you but simply latch onto a sarcastic comment I made like it’s an oxygen tank and not address the actual point being made:

You know as well as I do that the circumstance I’m talking about would not fly in any sporting competition in any regional part of Australia so why does the fact that it’s two cities make any difference? It has nothing to do with how clever I am. It’s common sense
It's about time you actually made a post and didn't have any sarcastic or put down remarks, how does it feel?

Anyway, I really don't care if we play you on the moon, you may think you come across as smart by trying to belittle others, but all you do is lose respect, now I couldn't care less what you want or think.

I'm not sure if you realise but Collingwood does only play 9 home games at the MCG and is forced to host home games at Marvel against Marvel tenants every single year.
Just this year alone?

Pies 2023 at Marvel as Home team: North (small fanbase tenant), Brisbane (Non Vic non tenant)
Cats 2023 at MCG as Home team: Pies (huge fanbase tenant), Hawks (large fanbase tenant)

Im sure it would trend that way if we were to look back at every season going back 20 years+
Even when you have to "travel" you're still given a leg up.

You get to play non Vic teams and smaller clubs at their Home ground or a ground which is neutral where you have the majority swing of the crowd.
We have to play big clubs at their Home ground where the Away side gets the majority of the swing...

That is a false equivalence, it's not even remotely the same.

Did they make the ground adult size in the redevelopment?

We would pump them down there anyway just like we do the interstate clubs on their turf regularly.
Would be a change of pace for sure, feels like whenever we go up to Melbourne against the Pies come finals time we pump you lot at your home en route to a flag. We owe our four flags this century to our little finals bunny after all.

Would be a change of pace for sure, feels like whenever we go up to Melbourne against the Pies come finals time we pump you lot at your home en route to a flag. We owe our for flags this century to our little finals bunny after all.
LOL :D

It's about time you actually made a post and didn't have any sarcastic or put down remarks, how does it feel?

Anyway, I really don't care if we play you on the moon, you may think you come across as smart by trying to belittle others, but all you do is lose respect, now I couldn't care less what you want or think.

I put sarcasm in pretty much all of them. It doesn’t mean there isn’t a point to them or a question to them.

Like Melournites wouldn't have a clue if it wasn't 20 miles away kind of sarcasm?

Or people with IQ's as big as a sultana kind of sarcasm?

If that's your idea of making a point, then WOW.

Yeah mate, when it seems this hard for people to grasp that it’s a bit beyond just going around the corner for a packet of chips and they simply don’t get it after years and years of debating it, yeah. That’s the distinct impression a lot of people give.

That they haven’t stopped for one moment to look at it from any other perspective beyond that from which a Melbournite would see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back