The "It's not fair that we have to play Geelong in Geelong" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane are begging the AFL to play more games at the MCG. Cats fans seem to complain about it. Not only do they get 9 home games, they also get to play on the G which gives them a huge advantage over interstate teams who don’t get the same opportunity.

And Pies, Tigers, Demons etc all play ‘homes’ games at neutral grounds. For example, Cat fans do understand Collingwood playing a ‘home’ game against Richmond is also at their home ground? Or is that a little difficult to comprehend?
Maybe Brisbane should offer to play two home games at the G and they can call it a home away from home.

Brisbane are begging the AFL to play more games at the MCG. Cats fans seem to complain about it. Not only do they get 9 home games, they also get to play on the G which gives them a huge advantage over interstate teams who don’t get the same opportunity.

And Pies, Tigers, Demons etc all play ‘homes’ games at neutral grounds. For example, Cat fans do understand Collingwood playing a ‘home’ game against Richmond is also at their home ground? Or is that a little difficult to comprehend?

They’re not playing away in your example. I don’t care what happens to Collingwood when they play Richmond. How do you not get this?

The cats are going away from their home ground when they ‘host’ teams at the mcg. The mcg is our home in name only. Nothing else. KP is our home ground. A ‘neutral’ game at the mcg against you guys is not a neutral game. It’s an away game.

Brisbane can want whatever they want. That’s nothing to do with us.

If they did, Geelong still would have had a successful run, if they made them play all home games at the G they still would have had a successful run, because they were well run with good coaching and players.
Ok? My comment had nothing to do with Geelong and their successful run. I like Geelong. I'm on their side in this argument more or less. I think whinging about Geelongs ground is pathetic.

Thanks for that, we’d only read it a million times before.

Allow me to reply the same way we have a million times before.

We are the only club that plays home games, away from our home, on the other team’s home ground, in their home city, which is not our home city.

As long as we are doing that, your point is utterly irrelevant.

Thanks for that.

Richmond plays the Saints at Marvel this year in our home game. We constantly play North at Marvel in our home games. We also constantly play against a range of interstate teams at Marvel in home games.

Carlton, Essendon etc… constantly play home games at the MCG against MCG tenants. And they don’t get the Geelong benefit of 9 x genuine home games.

So is the essence of the issue the hour drive from Geelong to the MCG or Marvel?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thanks for that.

Richmond plays the Saints at Marvel this year in our home game. We constantly play North at Marvel in our home games. We also constantly play against a range of interstate teams at Marvel in home games.

Carlton, Essendon etc… constantly play home games at the MCG against MCG tenants. And they don’t get the Geelong benefit of 9 x genuine home games.

So is the essence of the issue the hour drive from Geelong to the MCG or Marvel?

Yes. You’re getting it.

We leave our city to play in the other team’s city at the ground where they play every home game. Did you have a squadron of paid interns helping you with this?

I live in a town called Bathurst - you may have heard of it. It hosts a reasonably famous car race.

If either of the two rugby league teams were ordered to host one of their home games in Orange or Oberon, the nearest towns in the competition, 40 and 30 minutes away respectively, admin would be told to f**k off.

If they were ordered to host a game in Cowra, an hour away, a closer approximation to the difference between Geelong and Melbourne, they would be told to look for a new team to fill the gap they were about to have in their draw.

I live in a town called Bathurst - you may have heard of it. It hosts a reasonably famous car race.

If either of the two rugby league teams were ordered to host one of their home games in Orange or Oberon, the nearest towns in the competition, 40 and 30 minutes away respectively, admin would be told to f**k off.

If they were ordered to host a game in Cowra, an hour away, a closer approximation to the difference between Geelong and Melbourne, they would be told to look for a new team to fill the gap they were about to have in their draw.
Are you saying Geelong are too gutless to tell the AFL to GAGF?

Yes that’s exactly what I’ve said. I’ve said we are too gutless to leave the competition and go and play in the VAFA. That’s what I meant to say.
But you got confused with RL and Car Racing.

The only point I can see you making is RL teams have more guts than Geelong do, or maybe they want to play at the G and saying they don't is just to keep some of the whiny supporters happy.

Yes. You’re getting it.

We leave our city to play in the other team’s city at the ground where they play every home game. Did you have a squadron of paid interns helping you with this?

So Richmond playing Saints or North in a home game at Marvel or Carlton/Bombers playing Pies in a home game at the MCG is different because the players travel 30 minutes and not an hour to the game. Is that genuinely the major issue here?

F…..M…..D

So Richmond playing Saints or North in a home game at Marvel or Carlton/Bombers playing Pies in a home game at the MCG is different because the players travel 30 minutes and not an hour to the game. Is that genuinely the major issue here?

F…..M…..D

There’s a 10-15 minute gap between the two grounds. Where the players live would probably vary between that amount and half an hour and if you lived between them? It’s half that amount.

How big a region do you think Geelong extends to beyond the geographical of Geelong for its fans, as well as the 22 players? You know, the 30,000 or so people, minimum, who want to go and watch them. And that’s just the ones who live in the Geelong locale. Do you think that all the fans turning up to drive ‘just an hour’ to the MCG - that’s before parking and queuing up etc are factored in - ALL live in exactly the same part of Geelong? Some will actually live closer to Melbourne, that’s true enough. I think you’ll find a lot actually don’t, though. They don’t all have bunk beds at Kardinia Park. Many will live and work further west of there

It’s a different city.

We leave it, to play in yours, against teams based in yours, on their home ground. Your pants-pissing about going 5km up the road in the same city and paying a cabby $25 and still drawing a rough crowd division of support is not the same thing.

You can’t win an argument where you try and tell fans that they should be satisfied with moving their own home games, to another city, to ‘host’ teams on their home ground, in their home city mate.

It’s the dumbest f**king argument known to man.

‘Hey All Blacks, just play the Bledisloe Cup in Sydney next time you’re due to host it at Eden Park. It’s close enough - it’s not like we are asking you to shift it to Perth.’

Edit: additionally, for the umpteenth time, I don’t give a s**t what Richmond have to put up with. Discuss it in the ‘it’s not fair we have to play Richmond in Richmond’ thread if you’re that passionate about it. I care what my club does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F…..M…..D

Did you know Bathurst has a car race?

Because it paints a pretty basic picture for anyone based in a large capital city of why it’s not normal to expect a team not based in a particular town or city to play home games there against a team who IS based there.
And you had to explain you lived there and if we didn't know where it was, you had to explain that also, why is that?

You could have just said I live in a town with 2 RL clubs who don't take crap like Geelong does.

And you had to explain you lived there and if we didn't know where it was, you had to explain that also, why is that?

You could have just said I live in a town with 2 RL clubs who don't take crap like Geelong does.

You seem to be very upset that I mentioned that I live where I live in a bid to paint a geographical picture in a post about a geographical issue.

I hope you get through it.

You seem to be very upset that I mentioned that I live where I live in a bid to paint a geographical picture in a post about a geographical issue.

I hope you get through it.
Upset? quite the opposite, i am amused at you trying to make stupid reasons why Geelong shouldn't play at the MCG.

You live in Bathurst?
Yep that's a great reason.

Bathurst has a car race?
Yep great reason?

We have 2 rl clubs that don't take crap from the league?
Probably, the best, but hanging crap on Geelong as well, so not too well thought out.

Upset? quite the opposite, i am amused at you trying to make stupid reasons why Geelong shouldn't play at the MCG.

You live in Bathurst?
Yep that's a great reason.

Bathurst has a car race?
Yep great reason?

We have 2 rl clubs that don't take crap from the league?
Probably, the best, but hanging crap on Geelong as well, so not too well thought out.

lol.

Please quote anywhere I said any of these things. Someone is either exceptionally stupid, or unfamiliar with simile, metaphor, or the simplicity of example.

I said, paraphrased, that the idea of a footy side here, travelling half an hour, let alone an hour, to ‘host’ a team in THAT team’s home town, is laughable, and the administration of a competition that tried to force such an issue would lose that club from their competition. Such decision doesn’t really matter too much because the club can go and play in another competition and be no worse off, and the league suffers instead. An AFL club leaving the AFL cannot do this.

Geelong not stepping down from the AfL does not make them look stupid, I’m sorry to tell you.

lol.

Please quote anywhere I said any of these things. Someone is either exceptionally stupid, or unfamiliar with simile, metaphor, or the simplicity of example.

I said, paraphrased, that the idea of a footy side here, travelling half an hour, let alone an hour, to ‘host’ a team in THAT team’s home town, is laughable, and the administration of a competition that tried to force such an issue would lose that club from their competition. Such decision doesn’t really matter too much because the club can go and play in another competition and be no worse off, and the league suffers instead. An AFL club leaving the AFL cannot do this.

Geelong not stepping down from the AfL does not make them look stupid, I’m sorry to tell you.
Well then I don't know why you would tell us about your big bad RL sides telling the league to ggf if they were told to play elsewhere.

Tell us oh bright one.
How many 100,000 seat stadiums are there within 1 hr of Bathurst?

Well then I don't know why you would tell us about your big bad RL sides telling the league to ggf if they were told to play elsewhere.

Tell us oh bright one.
How many 100,000 seat stadiums are there within 1 hr of Bathurst?

Does it matter?

‘If a game isn’t played in a 100,000 seat stadium did it really happen?’

They’re not big bag rl sides mate, they’re normal sports teams who wouldn’t be expected by anyone with an IQ larger than a sultana to host an opponent in their opponent’s home town if that home town was a different town to their own.

Does it matter?

‘If a game isn’t played in a 100,000 seat stadium did it really happen?’

They’re not big bag rl sides mate, they’re normal sports teams who wouldn’t be expected by anyone with an IQ larger than a sultana to host an opponent in their opponent’s home town if that home town was a different town to their own.
I don't think they would tell the league to GGF if they were playing a team that was filling out their stadium and 1,000s of supporters were not able to get seats.

I think that sultana IQ you talk about is correct,you are just directing it the wrong way, nothing you have said has even come close to the Geelong situation, nowhere near Bathurst matches the Geelong v Collingwood/Richmond/Essendon/Carlton scenarios.

And you tell us you live there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back