The "It's not fair that we have to play Geelong in Geelong" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not true. The NRL has similar fixtures every year.
Oh boy, lets emulate the NRL because they've been soo successful in making a dent in the sporting market LOL

I mean real actual competitive market sports that have a huge audience that people actually care about

Sports like Soccer, American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Ice Hockey etc.

This is not true. The NRL has similar fixtures every year.

Well not really. The closest equivalent to Geelong is Newcastle and Canberra - further away yes but not by a freak amount - and the idea of them hosting a game anywhere in Sydney is ludicrous.
Illawarra when they had a stand alone team was probably the same distance and they wouldn’t have done it either.
Some of the teams mix and match a few of their venues. This is partly because all the sides apart from the Eels, Souths and the Roosters still have a suburban ground at which they play at least SOME games.
In the cases of Penrith, Manly and the Sharks they play all their regular season home games at their suburban ground aside from one game a year at Magic Round and Penrith taking a game a year to Bathurst.
The Bulldogs have started taking a few games back to Belmore, the Tigers are two merged teams who split their games evenly between Leichhardt and Campbelltown with another at Tamworth in country NSW, the eels are now based at Bankwest, the Roosters are exclusively at Allianz, the Bunnies alternate between Allianz and Homebush.

St George-Illawarra share all their games equally between Kogorah - St George’s home ground, and WIN Stadium in Wollongong, Illawarra’s home ground, aside from the nominal home game they stage at Allianz on ANZAC Day every few years against the Roosters which they are happy to cede.

I wouldn’t say it’s ’straight Forward’ in the NRL because of the joint venture teams, the Warriors playing a couple of games in Christchurch from memory, the Cowboys playing a few games in Cairns or Bundaberg, the Dolphins moving their games between their own stadium and Suncorp in their debut season but situations aren’t really the same

Oh boy, lets emulate the NRL because they've been soo successful in making a dent in the sporting market LOL

I mean real actual competitive market sports that have a huge audience that people actually care about

Sports like Soccer, American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Ice Hockey etc.

Well they have for what they are.

This isn’t about emulating successful marketing or finance. It’s about fairness.

The afl doesn’t have to emulate success as a competition.

It’s in the 4-5 most watched leagues on the face of the planet attendance wise. Rugby league sure isn’t, though it is growing, much as everyone likes to think it isn’t. League has its little niche up here, its fans love it, it has a great tv presence, its live attendances are growing steadily, kiwis are following it more and its islander following seems to be starting to pass that of its rival. We league fans are more than happy with what we have. And one thing that makes it appealing is how the comp is structured, the draw etc etc

So while he’s actually kind of wrong: the nrl DOESNT have a similar situation every year, it is worth noting that the nrl has what seems to be a much fairer way of doing things with its fixture

Complete amateur hour down in Geelong. Can't even deliver a safe cricket pitch. Time to move all of the Cats home games to Marvel.
Hear hear! Damn that rain, Melbourne's soulless multipurpose entertainment venue is the greatest precinct in the world!

297-618x326.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Complete amateur hour down in Geelong. Can't even deliver a safe cricket pitch. Time to move all of the Cats home games to Marvel.
You wouldn't even know where the stadium is located so you can't comment, worst bunch of flogs to even open your mouths.
Glad to know we weren't even remotely close to this insufferable after winning a premiership.

Yes that’s exactly what I’ve said. I’ve said we are too gutless to leave the competition and go and play in the VAFA. That’s what I meant to say.

I’ve only just read this thread today, that’s why I haven’t replied before to this comment.

I would love to see Geelong tell the AFL to GAGF and leave the comp. Just to see what the AFL would do. What a happy day it would be for someone to stand up to this corrupt league.

The "It's not fair that we have to play Geelong in Geelong" line only exists because we have a league and a few big powerful clubs with their solders on Twitter/X who do not fundamentally believe in a fair, national competition. If they are more likely to win a flag with a competition that has a bias leaning towards them they will take it every single time and defend it on platforms like this one.

As others have said, nobody with a brain is complaining about having to play in Geelong. They are complaining about how certain clubs never have to.

It is the inequality that is the issue. Kardinia is good enough that they should just play every home game there (maybe not finals just due to seating).

Deep down the industry view that Tiger flags were not easy on the eye must rankle. For so long laughing stock of the competition and then when come good, disparaged for the ugly brand.
Must be tough and can understand how you'd lash out at others

Didn't look too ugly to me. Must have looked ******* ugly to you though when your team could not move the ball forward while we were destroying you in 3 from 3 finals throughout the period, including 2 that cost you flags. :tearsofjoy:

Usual Cats supporters leading with chin. :)

Didn't look too ugly to me. Must have looked ******* ugly to you though when your team could not move the ball forward while we were destroying you in 3 from 3 finals throughout the period, including 2 that cost you flags. :tearsofjoy:

Usual Cats supporters leading with chin. :)
I guarantee that you get more upset at neutrals rating the '07-'11 Geelong side and it's equivalent players leagues above '17-'20 Richmond, than any Cats fan did sitting through those finals sandwiched between 4 flags. Look at Selwood's send off compared to Cotch and Riewoldt's.

Selwood, post dynasty, kept bang average sides contending until they could finally break through and crown another decent era. Martin with the same role in his sides transition has lead Richmond to...a hilarious EF arc where he was invisible, and then he caught fire late to lead them to...13th in 2023.

I guarantee that you get more upset at neutrals rating the '07-'11 Geelong side and it's equivalent players leagues above '17-'20 Richmond, than any Cats fan did sitting through those finals sandwiched between 4 flags. Look at Selwood's send off compared to Cotch and Riewoldt's.

Selwood, post dynasty, kept bang average sides contending until they could finally break through and crown another decent era. Martin with the same role in his sides transition has lead Richmond to...a hilarious EF arc where he was invisible, and then he caught fire late to lead them to...13th in 2023.
I agree with you on that first paragraph completely, up until thr final sentence. I think comparing cotch vs selwood sendoffs is way more complicated than just which team was better (Geelong was).

I also don't think it was fair. Richmond was a basket case and Cotchin was the captain when it turned around. We can only assume he was a big part of that. In my opinion he wasn't as good a player as Selwood, but dragging that side out of the dirt was a bigger effort, especially since he had less to work with. From my perspective anyhow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back