The "It's not fair that we have to play Geelong in Geelong" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they would tell the league to GGF if they were playing a team that was filling out their stadium and 1,000s of supporters were not able to get seats.

I think that sultana IQ you talk about is correct,you are just directing it the wrong way, nothing you have said has even come close to the Geelong situation, nowhere near Bathurst matches the Geelong v Collingwood/Richmond/Essendon/Carlton scenarios.

And you tell us you live there.

Sorry but it does.

We keep getting told that the reason it should just be accepted is because ‘it’s an hour up the highway’ as though that’s normal and it’s a reason that we should just go ‘oh ok then in that case yeah fair enough we’ll come to you.’

It’s not.

It’s a different city. In a regional scenario a THIRTY minute gap would be considered way too far and you would never even entertain the thought of hosting a game in another town against that town - I think a couple of comps have rules regarding grand finals which is no different to the AFL anyway - let alone a 60 minute gap.

Sorry but it does.

We keep getting told that the reason it should just be accepted is because ‘it’s an hour up the highway’ as though that’s normal and it’s a reason that we should just go ‘oh ok then in that case yeah fair enough we’ll come to you.’

It’s not.

It’s a different city. In a regional scenario a THIRTY minute gap would be considered way too far and you would never even entertain the thought of hosting a game in another town against that town - I think a couple of comps have rules regarding grand finals which is no different to the AFL anyway - let alone a 60 minute gap.
It comes close in your brain, but the scenarios are completely different.

And we can never know what those clubs would say, because it will most likely never happen, so you are making crap up.

But they do have a car race.

i dont think you understand why people are complaining

its not about geelongs right to host home games in geelong.

its about the fact that some teams are pretty much exempt from playing at geelong. if you check how often any of the big 4 travel to geelong compared to other clubs you will see where the issues lies

and before you say it - yes i am aware it is for financial reasons
Tell that to hawks, tigers and collingwood supporters. Oh please tell them this.

There’s a 10-15 minute gap between the two grounds. Where the players live would probably vary between that amount and half an hour and if you lived between them? It’s half that amount.

How big a region do you think Geelong extends to beyond the geographical of Geelong for its fans, as well as the 22 players? You know, the 30,000 or so people, minimum, who want to go and watch them. And that’s just the ones who live in the Geelong locale. Do you think that all the fans turning up to drive ‘just an hour’ to the MCG - that’s before parking and queuing up etc are factored in - ALL live in exactly the same part of Geelong? Some will actually live closer to Melbourne, that’s true enough. I think you’ll find a lot actually don’t, though. They don’t all have bunk beds at Kardinia Park. Many will live and work further west of there

It’s a different city.

We leave it, to play in yours, against teams based in yours, on their home ground. Your pants-pissing about going 5km up the road in the same city and paying a cabby $25 and still drawing a rough crowd division of support is not the same thing.

You can’t win an argument where you try and tell fans that they should be satisfied with moving their own home games, to another city, to ‘host’ teams on their home ground, in their home city mate.

It’s the dumbest f**king argument known to man.

‘Hey All Blacks, just play the Bledisloe Cup in Sydney next time you’re due to host it at Eden Park. It’s close enough - it’s not like we are asking you to shift it to Perth.’

Edit: additionally, for the umpteenth time, I don’t give a s**t what Richmond have to put up with. Discuss it in the ‘it’s not fair we have to play Richmond in Richmond’ thread if you’re that passionate about it. I care what my club does.

Majority of your players would prefer to play the Pies at the MCG in front of 80,000 rather than the Cattery. And there are probably just as many Geelong supporters in Victoria who live outside Geelong than live in it, so I’m sure majority prefer marquee games are at the MCG and not Geelong.

So I accept you and a selection of Cats supporters want 11 home games in Geelong. But I don’t accept that’s the opinion of majority of supporters and I don’t accept it’s the opinion of majority of players.

Why anyone is so bitter about non-Geelong based members and supporters getting a coupled of extra opportunities to see their beloved Cats at the G in some marquee games is bewildering. Particularly when the players representing your club love playing at the MCG as well. Pretty selfish attitude TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Regardless of whether the Geelong home split is 11-0, 10-1 or 9-2, there should be no argument that every other club plays at Kardinia Park starting from next season. But the Pies and Tigers fans who point out that they have to host at least one Docklands game each year (sometimes vs Saints/North/Dogs) are correct too, and while that situation is still in place they can reasonably argue that we shouldn't get a full 11-0 split.

Also, obviously there's going to be Geelong fans who disagree on how many games we play in Geelong, a lot of fans would have loved it when we played four 'home' games in Melbourne until recently. I don't get to the footy much but getting to Docklands is a lot easier for me to attend a game than the MCG and it's a shitload easier than Kardinia Park, but if the club wants us to play our home games exclusively in Geelong then I'll support their decision.

there should be no argument that every other club plays at Kardinia Park starting from next season
Collingwood F.C. has no issue with playing at Kardinia Park for the AFL pre-season, VFL or AFLW games.
Geelong v Collingwood AFL Premiership Season games and finals will always be held at the MCG.

Tell that to hawks, tigers and collingwood supporters. Oh please tell them this.

Carlton and Essendon have both made trips to the Cattery the last five years.

The AFL now sends any of the big Melbourne clubs down to KP if they add projected go struggle on field that season.

If or when Collingwood are ever slated to finish around the bottom 4/6 again, I am certain they will be fixtured to play down at Geelong again.

Collingwood F.C. has no issue with playing at Kardinia Park for the AFL pre-season, VFL or AFLW games.
Geelong v Collingwood AFL Premiership Season games and finals will always be held at the MCG.
If it's good enough for GWS, it's good enough for Collingwood

Carlton and Essendon have both made trips to the Cattery the last five years.

The AFL now sends any of the big Melbourne clubs down to KP if they add projected go struggle on field that season.

If or when Collingwood are ever slated to finish around the bottom 4/6 again, I am certain they will be fixtured to play down at Geelong again.
The decision should be made based on crowd rather than ladder projections.

Regardless of whether the Geelong home split is 11-0, 10-1 or 9-2, there should be no argument that every other club plays at Kardinia Park starting from next season. But the Pies and Tigers fans who point out that they have to host at least one Docklands game each year (sometimes vs Saints/North/Dogs) are correct too, and while that situation is still in place they can reasonably argue that we shouldn't get a full 11-0 split.

Also, obviously there's going to be Geelong fans who disagree on how many games we play in Geelong, a lot of fans would have loved it when we played four 'home' games in Melbourne until recently. I don't get to the footy much but getting to Docklands is a lot easier for me to attend a game than the MCG and it's a shitload easier than Kardinia Park, but if the club wants us to play our home games exclusively in Geelong then I'll support their decision.
A walk from the Docklands stadium to the MCG is 4km.

The decision should be made based on crowd rather than ladder projections.

Nope. We also had to play Hawthorn and North down in Tassie when we were struggling on field a couple of years ago.

If Essendon were worried about crowd numbers, they wouldn't play most of their home games at Marvel Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Majority of your players would prefer to play the Pies at the MCG in front of 80,000 rather than the Cattery. And there are probably just as many Geelong supporters in Victoria who live outside Geelong than live in it, so I’m sure majority prefer marquee games are at the MCG and not Geelong.

So I accept you and a selection of Cats supporters want 11 home games in Geelong. But I don’t accept that’s the opinion of majority of supporters and I don’t accept it’s the opinion of majority of players.

Why anyone is so bitter about non-Geelong based members and supporters getting a coupled of extra opportunities to see their beloved Cats at the G in some marquee games is bewildering. Particularly when the players representing your club love playing at the MCG as well. Pretty selfish attitude TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You’ve asked our players this, have you?

Our club requests to NOT play those games at the MCG despite most of our players WANTING to play them there?

Interesting.

Our club requests to NOT play those games at the MCG despite most of our players WANTING to play them there?
No Victorian club ever gets all of its home games at the one ground. It has been this way since the 1970s when clubs started playing home games at VFL Park and the MCG. Geelong isn't exempt and nor should they be.

I don't care where we play Geelong because 95% its a loss to the Dogs.
What I hate is the fact that the state Government blew all this money on alphabet park and they couldn't spare a cent to fix the dimensions of the ground being woefully not-AFL standard.
There's an unbelievable carry on about pitch dimensions for AFL supporters but none for other sports.

In the Premier League for instance you have Nottingham's pitch at 7500 square meters and Fulham's at 6500. Some are a bit longer, some are a bit wider. Nobody cares and the players get on with it. The good teams win anywhere and the strong home sides win at home whether their pitch is closest to "standard" size or not.

Likewise for cricket. Some grounds are relative postage stamps and some are huge. Not to mention the variation in the bowling surface.

The cry baby mentality exclusively applies to AFL supporters.

They did just have their first preliminaryship in a long old time, a feat poor old doomed Geelong have only matched or bettered 13 times over the past 20 years.
Well I am a dockers fan so my expectations are bloody low. So Preliminary finals are rare at Freo. Dockers have been in 3 (2006, 2013 and 2015) in a 30 year period. GWS has been in 4 (2016, 2017, 2019 and 2023) in 7 years.

Port fans have gone on a rampaging drunken tirades about their current coach Ken Hinkley everywhere from the board board to the AFL main board to bay 13. lol

Port fans claim Ken Hinkley is a horrible coach with 5 finals wins from 2013-21.

I am already waiting for the 2024 season to start and end. Regardless, even if freo make finals, the only time the dockers made back to back finals is 2012-5. To be honest, I would be happy with 5 or 6 finals wins in 30 years. Yep thats how bad freo are. Dockers are unlucky too.

Dockers making finals 10 times in the next 30 years from 2025-2054 would make me happy. Hoping for a few back to back finals periods or eras where dockers make finals for at least 2 years in a row.

I would love to see freo do what North did in 2014-6. even if its back to back elim finals wins and semi final exits like north should of done in 2014-5.

Are you trying to make out the a 1 hr trip to Melbourne is bad for Geelong?

Tell us all why this 1 hr trip is so bad?

Also, I hear Bathurst has a car race.

Yes you seem to be getting a lot of mileage, pardon the pun, out of me highlighting the fact that there is a good chance you probably have no idea where the f*** anywhere not in metropolitan Victoria is, geographically speaking.

Yes, for a team based in a regional city an hour away, who’s supporters are based in a diaspora spread a further hour or so around THAT city, it is bad that we have to come to a place based in the centre of a city where the opposition is based where the ground is located in their city, automatically reducing our balance of the crowd support and diminishing any natural advantage.

Now tell us why it’s so bad to play Geelong games at Geelong.

Throw some more Bathurst car race efforts in there too and make out as though that was actually somehow intertwined with my actual argument

Yes you seem to be getting a lot of mileage, pardon the pun, out of me highlighting the fact that there is a good chance you probably have no idea where the f*** anywhere not in metropolitan Victoria is, geographically speaking.

Yes, for a team based in a regional city an hour away, who’s supporters are based in a diaspora spread a further hour or so around THAT city, it is bad that we have to come to a place based in the centre of a city where the opposition is based where the ground is located in their city, automatically reducing our balance of the crowd support and diminishing any natural advantage.

Now tell us why it’s so bad to play Geelong games at Geelong.

Throw some more Bathurst car race efforts in there too and make out as though that was actually somehow intertwined with my actual argument
You are the one that thought a car race had any relevancy,now you seem to be upset that I bring it up.

To answer your question on Geelong, the Club doesn't seem to be pushing too hard about playing at the G, it's just a few whiny supporters on here who seem upset.

If it was so much as a hindrance, I would hope the club had the balls to do something about it.

Either they don't have the balls, or they don't care that much about it,so whine all you like, it doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere.

You are the one that thought a car race had any relevancy,now you seem to be upset that I bring it up.

To answer your question on Geelong, the Club doesn't seem to be pushing too hard about playing at the G, it's just a few whiny supporters on here who seem upset.

If it was so much as a hindrance, I would hope the club had the balls to do something about it.

Either they don't have the balls, or they don't care that much about it,so whine all you like, it doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere.

No, I didn’t think a car race had any relevance, I thought it might be a way of drawing some attention geographically to where the place actually is because otherwise, I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t have a clue.

What can the club do about it. We have spoken quite a bit to the AFL about it and put our fixture in every year to host all our games in Geelong and have gone about - with the oft-acknowledged assistance from the government - a systematic process of redeveloping our entire home ground and increasing its capacity by about 70 per cent so yeah I’d have thought that’s a pretty fair attempt to ‘do something about it.’

What should we be doing? Going to Hertz and seeing if they can put together a hire vehicle to transport the MCG down the highway for a Friday night?

No, I didn’t think a car race had any relevance, I thought it might be a way of drawing some attention geographically to where the place actually is because otherwise, I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t have a clue.

What can the club do about it. We have spoken quite a bit to the AFL about it and put our fixture in every year to host all our games in Geelong and have gone about - with the oft-acknowledged assistance from the government - a systematic process of redeveloping our entire home ground and increasing its capacity by about 70 per cent so yeah I’d have thought that’s a pretty fair attempt to ‘do something about it.’

What should we be doing? Going to Hertz and seeing if they can put together a hire vehicle to transport the MCG down the highway for a Friday night?
There you go again, you have this superiority complex, you like to try put people down, for you info, I live further from Melbourne than Geelong, so all this, "Melbournites wouldn't know where it is" doesn't even cover me, so give up.

The story you made up, that you have no idea is true or not?
Why did we all need to know where the town is to have any relevance, please explain?

It could be any town in Oz, make no diff if we know where it is or not, it was just you trying make out you are smarter than everyone else, same as your comment on "an IQ as big as a sultana"

All you have done is show who the DH is.

There you go again, you have this superiority complex, you like to try put people down, for you info, I live further from Melbourne than Geelong, so all this, "Melbournites wouldn't know where it is" doesn't even cover me, so give up.

The story you made up, that you have no idea is true or not?
Why did we all need to know where the town is to have any relevance, please explain?

It could be any town in Oz, make no diff if we know where it is or not, it was just you trying make out you are smarter than everyone else, same as your comment on "an IQ as big as a sultana"

All you have done is show who the DH is.

Fine mate, the example could have been Wagga Wagga to Gundagai and I could have said ‘there’s a road near it, you might have heard it mentioned in a song.’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back