Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
I thought the unfairness would stop after Wade and co departed but more of the same by the look of it. Why dont they just kick the north west teams out and be done with it. This is crap.

Be happy you got one home final, Glenorchy gave finished on top two years in a row and got none.

The league have just made an early call on what is inevitable anyway, with rain forecast West Park won't be fit to host it anyway.

I thought the unfairness would stop after Wade and co departed but more of the same by the look of it. Why dont they just kick the north west teams out and be done with it. This is crap.
Rather than offer a game where a local community could engage at club and competition level, they prefer to play at a neutral venue for cosmetic reasons.

Be happy you got one home final, Glenorchy gave finished on top two years in a row and got none.

The league have just made an early call on what is inevitable anyway, with rain forecast West Park won't be fit to host it anyway.
I agree Glenorchy should have got a home final but they only have a 15 minute trip compared to nearly 2 hours for Burnie to play their "home" final. Its no suprise you are excited about this decision.

MEET ESSENDON LEGEND DUSTIN FLETCHER THIS SATURDAY AT THE TCA GROUND FOR THE SEASON DEFINING SFL CLASH BETWEEN HOBART TIGERS & HUONVILLE LIONS.

Essendon & AFL Legend Dustin Fletcher will be in attendance at the TCA Ground this Saturday, 27 August between 1 and 5 pm. while Hobart do battle with Huonville for a place in the SFL finals

There will be a chance to get photos and meet Dustin Fletcher at the ground between 1-5pm.
Is he even allowed to attend the game?

I agree Glenorchy should have got a home final but they only have a 15 minute trip compared to nearly 2 hours for Burnie to play their "home" final. Its no suprise you are excited about this decision.

Travel has nothing to do with it, the ground won't be in a suitable condition to host a final, simple as that.

It also gives the opportunity for the Development league final to be played on the same day with adequate change room facilities at Aurora.

It's not as if Burnie are disadvantaged by the travel, Lauderdale have to come even further to play.

Burnie should be the last club complaining about home finals, they are the only club to get one to date, that along with the double chance is sufficient enough for finishing second.

Last edited:
Yes, banned players have been going to AFL matches all season.
I forgot how much of a joke the AFL has treated the suspensions, compared to every other sport in the world.

On to the Burnie game, why at York Park? How does that make sense? I can understand it for Grand Finals, and probably preliminary finals, where maybe a few thousand will turn out. But even for the preliminary, it should be on the coast. West Park can easily cater for 4k or so, I doubt they would be getting that.
AFL Tas needs to make the requirements clear, this picking and choosing at the last minute is asking for the perception of favouritism.

I forgot how much of a joke the AFL has treated the suspensions, compared to every other sport in the world.

On to the Burnie game, why at York Park? How does that make sense? I can understand it for Grand Finals, and probably preliminary finals, where maybe a few thousand will turn out. But even for the preliminary, it should be on the coast. West Park can easily cater for 4k or so, I doubt they would be getting that.
AFL Tas needs to make the requirements clear, this picking and choosing at the last minute is asking for the perception of favouritism.

It's because of the state of the ground, a spit of rain and it turns to s**t, when we have AFL quality venues to play on then why shouldn't we use them for our finals?

Burnie got there home final this week just gone(only club to do so) and the double chance, thats enough I would have thought.

It's because of the state of the ground, a spit of rain and it turns to s**t, when we have AFL quality venues to play on then why shouldn't we use them for our finals?

Burnie got there home final this week just gone(only club to do so) and the double chance, thats enough I would have thought.
West Park can become a slop heap, but if that's deemed a problem for finals, why not at least Devonport rather than a ground over an hour away that "home" fans are unlikely to travel to.
Glenorchy should have got a KG5 final as well (and prelim there should they lose the semi). Stuffing that decision up doesn't justify another stuff up. At least they play in a home region, Burnie don't even get that.

Probably only Lauderdale and Windsor Park are unsuitable for all finals. Bellerive, York Park, and NHO (some could argue not on that one I guess) are all suitable for GFs.

West Park can become a slop heap, but if that's deemed a problem for finals, why not at least Devonport rather than a ground over an hour away that "home" fans are unlikely to travel to.
Glenorchy should have got a KG5 final as well (and prelim there should they lose the semi). Stuffing that decision up doesn't justify another stuff up. At least they play in a home region, Burnie don't even get that.

Probably only Lauderdale and Windsor Park are unsuitable for all finals. Bellerive, York Park, and NHO (some could argue not on that one I guess) are all suitable for GFs.

Not sure Devonport is listed as a finals venue? could be wrong?

I also believe the lack of adequate facilities to cater for the Development league final was a part of the reasoning also, I guess Burnie wouldn't care about that though seeing as they don't bother to even field a team.

Sorry a little off topic, but can anyone tell me when the League changed to having the State League Logo with the Tasmanian Map on all the jumpers and did that supersede the Wrest Point Logo? Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B

Burnie play aurora better than west park these days anyway. It sucks for us supporters but they will get the job done against Lauderdale

WIN News interview with Ace Cornelius inferred that players had not been paid for some time and indicated new facility as primary reason. Cause for alarm or nothing to see here?

WIN News interview with Ace Cornelius inferred that players had not been paid for some time and indicated new facility as primary reason. Cause for alarm or nothing to see here?

He actually admitted that players had only been half paid and they had to let some staff go to pay for the new developments.

Sorry a little off topic, but can anyone tell me when the League changed to having the State League Logo with the Tasmanian Map on all the jumpers and did that supersede the Wrest Point Logo? Cheers
Pretty sure that changed for season 2013 which was sponsored by RACT and had map logo. RACT changed to Southern Cross in either 2014/15

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think its a lame excuse to say that there is showers forecast at West Park, so no final there. Now had the forecast said rain for a few days then maybe fair enough, Surely they could at least put some covers over the middle to keep it reasonable.

I think its a lame excuse to say that there is showers forecast at West Park, so no final there. Now had the forecast said rain for a few days then maybe fair enough, Surely they could at least put some covers over the middle to keep it reasonable.
The north west clubs wont put up with being kicked around like this for much longer. It wouldnt suprise me if the members of Burnie and Devonport decided they should pull out and let the elite have a nice little 7 team comp on their own.

The north west clubs wont put up with being kicked around like this for much longer. It wouldnt suprise me if the members of Burnie and Devonport decided they should pull out and let the elite have a nice little 7 team comp on their own.

I dont think Burnie & Devonport can complain about being 'kicked around'. They pulled out of the development league which made it harder for everyone else. They had a home final on a very poor ground whilst the top side hasn't. Theyve both been well supported financially. AFLTas virtually kept Devonport afloat.
Most clubs may say theyd be better off without the TSL. Playing games against out of region sides means a poor crowd & poor takings.
Really their has to be some give & take. Coastal teams would still have to travel, even in a little coastal competition.
I think the best answer would be to better fund clubs, all clubs, so they dont have to worry so much about the loss of crowds playing far flung clubs. Also be able to travel & stay the night before. They are also better off playing on AFL standard grounds in finals anyway.
If the coastal clubs leave, so too will TSL money & a lot of players, especially the best u18s, who will be poached. Coastal footy would suffer.

I dont think Burnie & Devonport can complain about being 'kicked around'. They pulled out of the development league which made it harder for everyone else. They had a home final on a very poor ground whilst the top side hasn't. Theyve both been well supported financially. AFLTas virtually kept Devonport afloat.
Most clubs may say theyd be better off without the TSL. Playing games against out of region sides means a poor crowd & poor takings.
Really their has to be some give & take. Coastal teams would still have to travel, even in a little coastal competition.
I think the best answer would be to better fund clubs, all clubs, so they dont have to worry so much about the loss of crowds playing far flung clubs. Also be able to travel & stay the night before. They are also better off playing on AFL standard grounds in finals anyway.
If the coastal clubs leave, so too will TSL money & a lot of players, especially the best u18s, who will be poached. Coastal footy would suffer.
I don't think the Northern or Southern clubs understand the frustration and disappointment with these decisions about finals venues. All the talk is about the standard of facilities which I understand but no-one ever mentions the home advantage that has been earned then snatched away. Burnie players and supporters left West Park at 4 o'clock last Saturday believing they would be back next week to play the first semi there then find out at 10 o'clock on Sunday morning that the final has been taken off them. This is something that the other 7 clubs in the league don't have to even think about.The answer to this issue is perfectly clear. There needs to be a single high standard venue built somewhere in the North West. It doesn't have to be on the same scale as Blundstone or Aurora, that would be silly but it just has to able to provide a good playing surface without a bike track and adequate facilities to cope with 5 or 6 thousand people for a TSL Grand Final. The North West has a similar population to Launceston but the difference is they are scattered around all over the place in small towns and cities without a major centre. AFL TAs has promised for years to help the North West get such a facility but nothing has happened. Central Coast Council are about to commence building a new twin oval complex at Penguin which may be able to be developed as the type of venue I mentioned above but there are a couple of problems I see with that. Firstly it is not a home base for either Burnie or Devonport, it is for Penguin football club which limits its usage for TSL footy, and also I cant see that Central Coast Council could justify the cost of the spectator facilities required. I think it will be similar to Kingston in many mays, fantastic surface and pavilion but not much in the way of spectator facilities. If only AFL Tas can show some strong leadership on getting a decent venue up here we could forget about this annual bunfight forever.

They need to realise that they are the only club that has so far even had a home final, but somehow they are hard done by?

To win the Premiership you need to win at Aurora and Blundstone anyway, the more games on there the better

It is believed that Jake Rice from the Launceston football club is now running a company shed in Burnie and is in talks with the Burnie dockers for 2017..

I don't think the Northern or Southern clubs understand the frustration and disappointment with these decisions about finals venues. All the talk is about the standard of facilities which I understand but no-one ever mentions the home advantage that has been earned then snatched away. Burnie players and supporters left West Park at 4 o'clock last Saturday believing they would be back next week to play the first semi there then find out at 10 o'clock on Sunday morning that the final has been taken off them. This is something that the other 7 clubs in the league don't have to even think about.The answer to this issue is perfectly clear. There needs to be a single high standard venue built somewhere in the North West. It doesn't have to be on the same scale as Blundstone or Aurora, that would be silly but it just has to able to provide a good playing surface without a bike track and adequate facilities to cope with 5 or 6 thousand people for a TSL Grand Final. The North West has a similar population to Launceston but the difference is they are scattered around all over the place in small towns and cities without a major centre. AFL TAs has promised for years to help the North West get such a facility but nothing has happened. Central Coast Council are about to commence building a new twin oval complex at Penguin which may be able to be developed as the type of venue I mentioned above but there are a couple of problems I see with that. Firstly it is not a home base for either Burnie or Devonport, it is for Penguin football club which limits its usage for TSL footy, and also I cant see that Central Coast Council could justify the cost of the spectator facilities required. I think it will be similar to Kingston in many mays, fantastic surface and pavilion but not much in the way of spectator facilities. If only AFL Tas can show some strong leadership on getting a decent venue up here we could forget about this annual bunfight forever.

I think every club has frustrations of one sort or another. However to say they 'earned' a home final is a bit rich. I remember AFLTas saying that it is their competition. So they'll say who plays where. Also if any club 'earned' a home final, surely it was Glenorchy?
People live on the coast because they choose to. However like the health & hospital discussion, not every place can have all the best facilities. We'd go broke trying to provide them.
With a new facility, could you see all the local councils working together to put it ,where? We have enough trouble with AFL games. At least Hobart & Launceston have AFL standard grounds.
Its only Federal & State money that could get something built. AFLTas would have little say in such a thing. Such a facility would have to be multi use. It would have to serve multi clubs too. Sharing is the reality of getting anything.
If it comes to it, Burnie & Devonport can decide to play in the TSL or not. I think leaving would be detrimental to coastal footy in the long run. But also they cant have it all their own way.

I think every club has frustrations of one sort or another. However to say they 'earned' a home final is a bit rich. I remember AFLTas saying that it is their competition. So they'll say who plays where. Also if any club 'earned' a home final, surely it was Glenorchy?
People live on the coast because they choose to. However like the health & hospital discussion, not every place can have all the best facilities. We'd go broke trying to provide them.
With a new facility, could you see all the local councils working together to put it ,where? We have enough trouble with AFL games. At least Hobart & Launceston have AFL standard grounds.
Its only Federal & State money that could get something built. AFLTas would have little say in such a thing. Such a facility would have to be multi use. It would have to serve multi clubs too. Sharing is the reality of getting anything.
If it comes to it, Burnie & Devonport can decide to play in the TSL or not. I think leaving would be detrimental to coastal footy in the long run. But also they cant have it all their own way.
I agree with you about Glenorchy not getting a home ground final, I couldn't understand that decision, they deserved it more than anybody else by finishing on top but I think the term home final has been confused a bit. Glenorchy and Lauderdale didn't get a home ground final but they certainly got a home region final. We don't have that option, if its not in Burnie the next ground is Devonport then Aurora. I also agree with you about the standard of facilities we should aspire to up here. As I said we cant justify trying to replicate the facilities like Blundstone or Aurora as that would be ridiculous but a high standard regional facility shouldn't be too much to ask for. The Penguin twin ovals project is a goer and already has $10 million in funding from federal and state governments as well as the Council and I believe will be commenced soon. Its a good starting point and when you look back both Aurora and Blundstone were developed over a period of time, it wasn't all done at once. I love the TSL footy and really want it to grow and prosper. AFL Tas may not be able to provide funding for the Penguin project but they could certainly help lobby on its behalf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back