Game Day PF 1, GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
gotta say - i've read some ungracious threads before but going over yours last night and today - oh boy wow wee - pure hatred and vile dismissal of the opposition like i've never encountered - you're going to figure big in the next 5-10 final series with the odd loss along the way - some humility would help your board and supporter base big-time - saying that you lot helped provide the game of the year yesterday - unbelievable excitement for us neutrals - look forward to a successful dynasty rather than get involved in petty point scoring
That you take aim at only one set of of fans in this s**t fight of a thread says it all for me. if you offered a balanced comment, then I for one would not be dismissing your comment. Do you even get the irony?

I thought it was marginal. Usually their banners are humorous and I like them I thought yesterdays was a step down but given I'm not objective reluctant to judge.
Their club has had little success and maybe they just dont know how to act in a civilised way? Not necessarily the Banner, their coach and their supporters yesterday lacked class, clearly.
I don't think we should descend to that level though, and we will have to learn pretty quickly how to handle success with grace in the not to distant future.
I will take a lead from the club and particularly Leon in his losing press conferences, which are all class.
I was on the opposite side of the ground to the players races so didnt hear the booing as players left the field, but the dogs fans over on my side were fine. Spoke to a few in the beer queues and they were a good bunch. They were impressed with how we have progressed and interested in listening to how footy is growing up here (certainly different to some of the troll posters that wander onto our board). I was impressed with some of their stories of what they went through to get to Sydney for this game. For those guys that i spoke to (bay 210ish), I wish them well for next week.

Yeah, inclined to agree. A lot of our fans, including myself are relatively new to the game. However I think how load it is is often a reflection of where you are sitting. I thought our lot were pretty loud.
I think both sides were very loud with cheering after a goal etc. During general play though, I personally didn't hear a great deal of cheering for the Giants which I did for the Bulldogs. May have been because your supporters were all using those blow up things to clap and they aren't as loud as actually cheering.

As far as comments on the booing at the end of the game, I was too busy cheering I didn't notice it (but I didn't know that Dickson had kicked the ball at the end until this morning). I really hope that if there was booing, it was not directed at the Giants as a club- it was a tremendous game and both teams would have been deserving winners. All the best for the future- hope we can take this one as I think we will be up against it from your boys from next year on.

I was on the opposite side of the ground to the players races so didnt hear the booing as players left the field, but the dogs fans over on my side were fine. Spoke to a few in the beer queues and they were a good bunch. They were impressed with how we have progressed and interested in listening to how footy is growing up here (certainly different to some of the troll posters that wander onto our board). I was impressed with some of their stories of what they went through to get to Sydney for this game. For those guys that i spoke to (bay 210ish), I wish them well for next week.
Each to his own and it's an individual thing. I had two Bulldogs supporters, near me, screaming at every little thing on the field at outrage at every refereeing decision. Even expressed the hope Callan was seriously injured unless I misunderstòod the pitched voices. Then on a very crowded train home had a group discussing our plastic franchise and how we should be disbanded, and it seemed from what I couldn't ignore, that our list should be given to them. To top that off they then took a shot from a distance at the mostly Giants supporters, when they'd got off the train at Strathfield. Lacking the courage to do it from close range.
I dont doubt that it's not all, but today I hold them in contempt.
Check my posts here and on the main board, I have not whinged about the loss and have posted congratulations, thoroughly deserved, on their board.
I do hold their supporters in contempt today though.
I respect your right to have a different view off course.

Hugely proud of Leon, Cal, Phil, Toby, Cogs, Dyl, Haynes and the rest of the squad tonight and throughout 2016.

An outstanding season that has awoke the Giant that will contest for many future flags.

It's laughable to discuss the umpiring tonight - ceasing to umpire incorrect disposal directly drove the result.

However, that's not the Dogs fault.

My three lingering memories of this game will be:

1 Bevo viciously dissing our members at his press conference last week,

2. their official team banner tonight that calls our team 'plastic', and

3. the abuse meated out to Ward after being concussed by another Dogs cheap shot.

We'll remember Dogs, and you'll have it served back with interest in 2017 and beyond.

Dog acts indeed.

Congrats to the Swans on their Flag.

Haha, cheap shot from Cordy trying go for a mark? Complete accident.

What about sniping Palmer or your players disgraceful practice of opening their studs on opponents coming back in marking contests?

As far as comments on the booing at the end of the game, I was too busy cheering I didn't notice it (but I didn't know that Dickson had kicked the ball at the end until this morning). I really hope that if there was booing, it was not directed at the Giants as a club- it was a tremendous game and both teams would have been deserving winners. All the best for the future- hope we can take this one as I think we will be up against it from your boys from next year on.

It was after all the hugs and handshakes as your team collected their footies to give to the crowd and go get the high fives and victory lap etc. Our guys gathered to go down the race the ground announcer said "and a big hand for the Giants, what an epic contest" and all you could hear was "Booooooo" form your mob.

Sorry but disgraceful, mean spirited, petty, nasty just s#*t act.

Haha, cheap shot from Cordy trying go for a mark? Complete accident.

What about sniping Palmer or your players disgraceful practice of opening their studs on opponents coming back in marking contests?
Opening studs? It's called traction and leverage... Or would you rather they all stood on points like a bunch of ballet dancers?

I think both sides were very loud with cheering after a goal etc. During general play though, I personally didn't hear a great deal of cheering for the Giants which I did for the Bulldogs. May have been because your supporters were all using those blow up things to clap and they aren't as loud as actually cheering.

Sydney crowds are far quieter than other cities it seems. SOO Queensland crowds seem to be more vocal both H&A, for example.

The reality is the numbers went Doggies suporters way. The real difference in volume and amount of cheering though comes from the very different profiles of the support groups. The Doggies that travelled had a very high percentage of male / adult supporters who are committed to going interstate to support their team. Many supporters are second-third generation rusted on fanatics.

Giants crowds have a very high percentage of young families (more than I have seen in club supporter based before - and this comes from years of going to VFL/AFL matches in Vic/WA). We don't have the generational links yet, or the young men and women who have grown up supporting no other team, but the Giants.

The result is the Doggies cheering was far more pronounced. Louder and more organised. I think Giants held their own to a degree, but a lot people relatively new to the game will have witnessed what passion for a club like the Bulldogs can mean. Yesterday's result will mean our supporters will be back with more fire next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was after all the hugs and handshakes as your team collected their footies to give to the crowd and go get the high fives and victory lap etc. Our guys gathered to go down the race the ground announcer said "and a big hand for the Giants, what an epic contest" and all you could hear was "Booooooo" form your mob.

Sorry but disgraceful, mean spirited, petty, nasty just s#*t act.

Mate what do you expect from classless cretins? Most of them had special parole arrangements made with their officers to attend the game.

50 odd years of failure will do that to you.

Mate what do you expect from classless cretins? Most of them had special parole arrangements made with their officers to attend the game.

50 odd years of failure will do that to you.

Quite unneccessary really. Granted this is the GWS board but two wrongs still don't equal a right.

Booing onfield and at the start is ok.. at the end isn't. Perhaps it is the heat between the rival clubs but still not good

Just got back from the Sydney trip. OMFG what a game. We can be dissapointed but not upset. Best game of footy I have ever been to. The dogs supporters I was with were pretty good. ( apart from a few flog comments re plastic franchise but a few choice Footscray jibes usually evened the score in a good natured way) Dissappointed that there are a few flogs posting here hope the mods will give a few red cards.
I agree with a few here that the dogs banner showed a real lack of class.

Well done lads, we have big things to look forward too

Last edited:
Quite unneccessary really. Granted this is the GWS board but two wrongs still don't equal a right.

Booing onfield and at the start is ok.. at the end isn't. Perhaps it is the heat between the rival clubs but still not good
There aren't too wrongs though, only your's count on our board.
Simples

What gets me with these dumb dumbs and their crap about 'plastics' and 'silver platters' is that their clubs' directly benefit from the resultant growth in the game.

I shouldn't be astounded by people's stupidity anymore but they leave me with no choice.

Congrats to your boys on fighting out a top game and for your club having a great season. Like many others, I'm sure your team is destined to go further in the very near future, and I'm looking forward to seeing them pull together and come out hungry next year.

Second highest TV ratings for a non-GF in AFL history. Lock in our first ever Friday night match being against the Bulldogs at some point next season.

Still want to know how they have any idea who is watching what ?

Ratings are a made up w@nk IMO it's impossible in OZ to know how many people are watching footy.

And don't give me ratings family's I'm in my 40s and have meet not a single one.

That game last night was so full on and I hope our boy's come back bigger and stronger to win the premiership next year. I have to congratulate the dog's on a good hard fought win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back