Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Layne Staley is imo the best vocalists of the grunge era, which is something when you are putting him up against Cornell, Vedder, Weiland etc. Almost everyone butchers his stuff but AIC were so lucky with Du Vall, I think he does as well as anyone on the globe could.

Hetfield even butchers his own stuff these days so I can't see how it would've ended well with him trying to take on anything Staley sings.

If I needed someone to play a solo for my life I choose Mike McCready.

I know this will cause flamage! ...But I just love his work, the way he closes his eyes and leans back, it just ooozes out of his guitar like an extension of his feelings.

Too Far?

Nope, just an opinion.

I have no idea who I'd choose, would need some good hard thought.

Layne Staley is imo the best vocalists of the grunge era, which is something when you are putting him up against Cornell, Vedder, Weiland etc. Almost everyone butchers his stuff but AIC were so lucky with Du Vall, I think he does as well as anyone on the globe could.

Hetfield even butchers his own stuff these days so I can't see how it would've ended well with him trying to take on anything Staley sings.

I'd argue eddies growl was maybe more imitated, but never topped, wish we heard them together... Plenty of Super groups of the time but can't recall an Eddie Layne combo

I know this will cause flamage! ...But I just love his work, the way he closes his eyes and leans back, it just ooozes out of his guitar like an extension of his feelings.

Too Far?
I've seen Pearl Jam live 3 or 4 times and McCready's solos are always my favourite part of the show.

Too Far?
Not far enough
I've seen Pearl Jam live 3 or 4 times and McCready's solos are always my favourite part of the show.
I think I've seen them 7 times now, for me not much beats McCready letting loose on Yellow Ledbedder

I refuse to watch. I will take your word for it because I imagine the reality is far worse than even what I imagine.

To weigh in on the grunge singer debate though, loved Staley's voice and echo Pweter's sentiments about getting so lucky with DuVall (their last album was rubbish though) but Cornell was and still is ******* amazing. The pick of the bunch for me.

I refuse to watch. I will take your word for it because I imagine the reality is far worse than even what I imagine.

To weigh in on the grunge singer debate though, loved Staley's voice and echo Pweter's sentiments about getting so lucky with DuVall (their last album was rubbish though) but Cornell was and still is ******* amazing. The pick of the bunch for me.

I'm not going to lie, I spent the bulk of the 90s trying to emulate his facial hair Styles with varying degrees if success and he was an idol of mine. I played their slbums to death.... But maybe when I heard Chris I was hearing led Zeppelin, or black sabbath, I mean dazed and confused could be an early Soundgarden song! It was like Chris was paying homage. I had never heard a voice like eddies, maybe Jim Morrison?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too Far?

Right, so after much deliberation I have come down to either of Dave Murray or Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden up until their 1985 World Slavery tour. The solos in those early days were paired brilliantly with the song, whether they were blistering solos for up tempo songs or slower solos were every note smacks you between the eyes if a slower melodic song.

One of my all time favourite solos is by their 3rd guitarist Janick Gers though, on the tune Blood Brothers. From 5:55 to 6:45 or so here. When they played it live when they toured this year it was one of those music moments where I just shut my eyes and was taken to another place for a few moments of time.

It's all subjective though, and that's the great thing about music.

Last edited:
I don't pretend to be a massive Pearl Jam aficionado or anything but McCready's solos always just sound like fast blues licks drenched in wah to me. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that and they sound great but it's not really mind blowing stuff for me.

To be honest im not much of a musician, at all. Just a very amatuer acoustic guitar trier. i have no real idea of technically what makes a great guitatist or soloist or any of that. Maybe when you are proficinet in an instrument like yourself you can see things from a different angle, i can appreciate that opinion.

I guess all i have is my ear, and what makes the hair stand up on my neck when i hear it - like the track november hotel by mad season - when he just goes off on a 6 minute bleeding solo. i guess to me it sounds awesome but somebody who knows their stuff might say he, hes just doing this this and this.

Same time i would hear dave gilmour doing his thing and i would think man, i would love to be able to do that! but it seems impossible to me - then i slowly but surely learnt the solo to wish you were one step at a time over a year here and i thought hang on, i can do this! ...obv not to his or anyones standard.. haha

You guys should update your iPods and listen to the s**t I bloody posted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back