Guitars

Remove this Banner Ad

Im running with a Yamaha Pacifica which i have had for 6 years and a US Tele ive had for 4 years.

Nothing better than a US Fender! :thumbsu:

Most of mine are Japanese offsets these days.

sVgz1TX.jpg

PRS private stock
PRS custom 24
Taylor 814 ce

My man! I love mine so much.

They are amazing. The neck on my private stock is unbelievable.

Totally worth the 6 month wait while they built it for me!

My private stock built to my specs.

tumblr_n5rlkwtEyw1tqge5vo1_500.jpg

2013-07-19185109.jpg

2013-07-23115910.jpg

2014-05-15151705.jpg

2013-07-19185036.jpg

2013-07-24104019.jpg

2014-05-15151806.jpg

And my CU24

2014-10-04170939.jpg

2014-10-04172457.jpg

2014-10-04184718.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

What was the process like WRT getting the Private Stock made? Did you have to go through a local middle-man or deal direct with the factory? I've pondered going down this path if only to get something with a satin finished neck.

My Hollowbody II is my avatar & also have a CU24 amongst other things...

What was the process like WRT getting the Private Stock made? Did you have to go through a local middle-man or deal direct with the factory? I've pondered going down this path if only to get something with a satin finished neck.

My Hollowbody II is my avatar & also have a CU24 amongst other things...

Private stock was easy. Went to the local dealer and went through a spec sheet. They then send that off to Baltimore and we wait for a price.

Setting up our spare room any week now with my guitars since apparently our dining room isn't my music room and is in fact for... Dining :rolleyes: I'll get some photos of my gear then. Drooling over some of the customs. It's a great thing I'm a lefty or I would be broke. I always said if I won the lottery I'd buy a PRS but after finally being able get my hands on a couple lefties at Sky Music to try out can't say I'm a fan anymore. Scale length and radius just don't suit me and I can't justify the cost to have a massive neck joint, they just feel too cramped for my liking. So far it's still the production lines that suit me the best (mostly death and thrash metal with a bit of Malmsteen style noodling) and as I don't have the luxury of being able to just try a lot of guitars being a lefty they are often the safest bet when I know the kind of specs and dimensions I like.

This the list of lefties I have, some are old as I can't seem to part with anything from the 16 years of playing. I'll list them regardless of prestige:

E-II M-II
E-II Horizon-III
LTD EC1000
Schecter KM-7 MkII
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Blackjack C-1
Schecter Omen 6 (put in Seymour Duncan distortion and jazz combo)
Schecter Omen 7
Ibanez RG721RW (looks like furniture. Chucked a DiMarzio x2n in)
Ibanez RG270 (older Korean build and put Seymour Duncan Blackwinters in)

Thinking about another E-II or an actual US ESP next year. They don't really build lefties for the shelf anymore so when you order one you have the option to customise many aspects without being charged the custom premium (still get the lefty tax though). When I got my E-II from their Japanese factory I had the option of changing stuff since it had to be built from scratch but I left it as a standard right handed spec.

Well, sad to say I sold the blue PRS today.
Couple of friends of mine are in need so I'm going to help them out so good cause I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tumblr_n5rlkwtEyw1tqge5vo1_500.jpg

2013-07-19185109.jpg

2013-07-23115910.jpg

2014-05-15151705.jpg

2013-07-19185036.jpg

2013-07-24104019.jpg

2014-05-15151806.jpg

And my CU24

2014-10-04170939.jpg

2014-10-04172457.jpg

2014-10-04184718.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

Absolutely in love with the flame maple board. Is that a 10 top too? Picture a bit cramp on my phone.

I was looking at a US Strat in person a little while ago that I wanted to get for no other reason than the flame maple fretboard. If I ever want to get my David Gilmour on I know exactly what I'll be getting.

Absolutely in love with the flame maple board. Is that a 10 top too? Picture a bit cramp on my phone.

I was looking at a US Strat in person a little while ago that I wanted to get for no other reason than the flame maple fretboard. If I ever want to get my David Gilmour on I know exactly what I'll be getting.

Yeah wood library top

Got an '83 US strat but keep that stored away now cos it's a collectible/limited edition. Don't want to do any more damage. The old bowling ball strats had a limited run, in gold, red and blue, and every one unique. I have the blue version which I think there are only around 100 in the world. Worth around 3 grand in good condition now I believe.
My muck around guitar now is a schecter KM (Keith Merrow sig) 6 string set up in drop C.

A rare as early 90's beautifully German handmade burgundy Shadow Superstrat with a Floyd Rose bridge and double locking tremolo.

A sweet sounding versatile beast that can cover all bases with it's H-S-S pickup set-up and 5 way pick-up switch.

I've never wanted for another guitar. It is so hard to find info on these guitars as well which creates an element of mystique and curiosity about them.

Shadow is an electronics company which is best known for manufacturing pick-ups. They went into guitar making in the 90's (to showcase their pick-ups) but couldn't compete and discontinued their lines. The guitars were rather expensive. Overstock left saw some guitars completed in the Kramer factory.

Also have an EVH Frankenstein design made and have customised and modified it a bit. Genuine Frankenstein pick-up in it. Hangs on the wall now in the home studio.

Acoustic Electric I have an Ovation DJ Ashba Demented Series Bone Daddy. Love the bottom end you can get out of it.

Last edited:
Out of the 20+ Guitars and Basses I own my personal faves are:

1960's Vintage Rickenbacker Bass
Fender Jazz Bass and
Gibson Short Scale Thunderbird Bass.

The short scale Gibson is only around 1 inch shorter in the neck but literally has half the weight which is awesome since I have shoulder "issues" due to my old age :huh:

Some nice collections there, guys!

Not sure how many guitars I own at the moment - would have to do a stocktake.

Main guitars:
-Jap Strat early 90s with Floyd. Great all purpose axe.
-Gibson Les Paul Studio. Don't use it much pretty much there just in case I need that kind of sound for something.
-Ibanez Universe 7 String. My main go to axe - does everything well, love the extra string for fat chord voicings that a 6 string can't do.
-Ibanez RG 7 string. A back up for my Universe, but an experimental guitar fro trying out different wiring and pickups.
-Kramer Focus - the original 80's glamour guitar.
-Maton cutaway acoustic - got this back when quality tonewood was everywhere. Was only a midrange guitar when I bought it, but outperforms Maton's best guitars these days since we ran out of high quality tonewood for guitars.
-Richard Howell Handmade Classical guitar. Made in Mornington by a master luthier based on Spanish building principles. Gorgeous instrument.
-Yasuga 12 String. Decent quality 12 string from Japan - nice to bash something out on this.
-Yamaha classical 7 string - my Frankenstein guitar. I converted it into a 7 string classical, which is fun to have. The extra string is useful for a lot of transcribed music like Bach.

I've got more, but these are my faves. I don't see myself buying another guitar. I'm more into piano these days. I've got a Yamaha U3 acoustic piano, a Korg Kronos 2 beast of a synth. Would like to get a grand piano next, when I get a bigger house!

Wife is going to hit the roof and I'll worry about that later, but was scrolling through Facebook last night, went past Paramatta Guitar Factory which just got in one of the limited run Jap made Ibanez prestiges, RG653AHM in lefty. I've always been envious of the limited runs that I only ever see right handed and wasn't going to pass this one up.

IMG_1141.JPG

Has anyone tried/played one of these Australian made Perry Ormsby multi-scale guitars.

Interested to see any difference in sound with the multi-length strings and fanned frets which supposedly gives a more precise intonation and more natural playing feel as the frets "lean" in the natural direction that your hand wants to.

There are some Youtube vids but no-one seems to be doing them any justice!

They look beautifully made.

5366805_orig.jpg

Has anyone tried/played one of these Australian made Perry Ormsby multi-scale guitars.

Interested to see any difference in sound with the multi-length strings and fanned frets which supposedly gives a more precise intonation and more natural playing feel as the frets "lean" in the natural direction that your hand wants to.

There are some Youtube vids but no-one seems to be doing them any justice!

They look beautifully made.

View attachment 319030

My mate has an Ormsby hype already with a SX and a custom on the way. Quality axes, mate also swears by multi scale now. Precise about the intonation, you can set these up perfectly though honestly intonation out by 5% on one string over a couple of frets has never bothered me. I bought one of the new Schecter KM-7s this year with the Ernie Ball compensated nut which solves any intonation issues on that guitar.

Ormsby are doing production runs out of Sth Korea now (same factory as Schecter's and I think LTD) but if you want to get a custom or get on a run just be prepared to wait as the demand for Ormsby now is huge. Unless you are a YouTube celebrity though then you go front of the queue. My mate has been waiting over two years for his custom and another that was on a run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back