Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

In a T20 super over, your innings should continue from where it left off. So in the Sixers' case tonight, Lyon and Darwuis would have resumed at 8/165. If they lose two wickets in the super over, that's it. I understand they want the biggest hitters out there for show, but this would more accurately reflect who was the better team on the day.

If the bowlers have to bat then a batsmen must bowl the super over

I thought the super over was exciting until I watched the Heat vs Sixers and 2 overs took about half an hour.

Should make it like the old ING Cup where you (Adam Voges is the only I recall who did it) win money if you hit the sponsors sign. There are already 1700 KFC & Zooper Dooper signs around the place. Just make it first to hit one wins.

Or just make it so the bowler has to eat a piece of chicken between each ball and isn't allowed to use a serviette or moist towelette to clean his fingers, and the batsmen must eat a whole Zooper Dooper while facing up and isn't allowed to back away and make the bowler re-set just because he gets a brain freeze.

Mitchell Starc is building a strong case for being the greatest ODI bowler of all time.

The only thing unpopular about that is that he doesn't have longevity on his side.

Starc currently has an average under 20, strike rate under 25, economy rate under 5 and is going at near enough to 2 wickets per match.

If he maintains that to 400 wickets he'll be the clear GOAT. 3-400 in the mix. Right now he's in Shane Bond territory. Bond was outstanding but with only 147 wickets from 82 games no one considers him the GOAT since he is retired.

As an aside Ryan Harris has a comparitively better record than Starc, but only played 21 ODIs. What a bowler he was.

Or just make it so the bowler has to eat a piece of chicken between each ball and isn't allowed to use a serviette or moist towelette to clean his fingers.

Oh, man - I can see a lot of research being done to work out whether the Zinger, or the Regular grease imparts more swing to the ball. And what about the salt level - if you have salt on the ball, can you use it to roughen up one side. Is Red Rooster more amenable to reversing? What about Peri-Peri from Nandos?

What about vegetarians? Are they allowed to put mayonnaise on the ball? What about Balsamic vinegar?

To be honest - it's only T20 - go for it!! No foreign substances allowed, except those purchased from the ground take-away. Oh, and the players are only allowed to use funds won for MOMs to purchase the products. That'll make those awards more interesting.

'Woah - Andrew Tye wins Man Of The Match! That means the Scorchers will be able to afford the entire Mega Bucket AND a Filet-o_Fish with Tartare sauce! The opposition are in for a tough night next game!!!'.

The influence that a captain has as a 'tactician' is often overstated. Not that there aren't good tacticians, but often sustained good bowling withorder regulation fields will get the job done, particularly early doors.

See Richie Benaud's quote about captaincy - "90 percent luck, 10 percent skill. But don't try it without that 10 percent."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

t20 squad is a training ground for ODI, ODI squad is the same thing for test cricket
I don't think it's a training ground per se, but I don't mind it being an excuse to get a young player in and around the squad. For the player to see how much more work there is to do, and the selectors/management getting to see what the player is like temperament-wise.

I don't think it's a training ground per se, but I don't mind it being an excuse to get a young player in and around the squad. For the player to see how much more work there is to do, and the selectors/management getting to see what the player is like temperament-wise.

i think you articulated it much better than me (not hard mind you).

by extension of how you put it, to use the t20 squad to indoctrine a player into aust team stuff is IMO not giving the form the respect it deserves.

If a player is on the cusp, yeah go for it BUT only if that is the team the selectors see them ultimately for. For example, a player who is clearly a red ball longer form player, put them into the test squad, not the other ones.

In the wake of his retirement from all forms of the game, and this article on him, I want to say that I think David Hussey was a bit overrated in some circles.
A prolific 192-match journey that saw him plunder 14,280 runs at 52.50 for Victoria, Nottinghamshire and Australia A (for just two matches), plus four Sheffield Shield final victories and a County Championship title.

Hussey aside, no Australian without a Test to their name has finished with a first-class batting average that high (minimum 50 innings).
His Sheffield Shield record - 105 matches, 179 innings, 45.58 average (19 centuries, 43 fifties) - is very good, but is significantly less impressive than his overall numbers.

He dined out considerably on inferior competition in Division 2 of the County Championship - 28 matches, 37 innings, 75.84 average (10 centuries, 7 fifties) - boosting his overall average and numbers considerably in the process, making him seem like a better and more prolific batsman than he was.

Credit to him, he was somewhat of a late bloomer (made his first class debut at age 25 in February 2003) and built a very good, lengthy and successful career in the game, but I don't think he would have done especially well if he was given a Test cap, and I don't think it's any great crying shame that he didn't play Test cricket, because I think he would have had fairly mediocre results a la his ODI and T20I numbers.

by extension of how you put it, to use the t20 squad to indoctrine a player into aust team stuff is IMO not giving the form the respect it deserves.

I think part of the problem there is that we play so few T20Is to begin with, the vast majority of which are relatively meaningless, and there's every chance that a new guy can be selected and barely even get a bat or bowl, depending on the state of the match. Really gives very little scope to actually learn anything, and takes them away from playing full matches with their state side, too.

I mean, what did (for example) Cameron Bancroft really learn from his lone T20I last summer? First off, it's not a format he's especially good or experienced at to begin with, then he got to bat (at #7, when he's a natural opener) for one whole minute and not face a ball, then was made to keep wicket and watch up close as the Indians belt our bowlers around the park and chase down 200 comfortably. Just a pointless exercise all round.

I think part of the problem there is that we play so few T20Is to begin with, the vast majority of which are relatively meaningless, and there's every chance that a new guy can be selected and barely even get a bat or bowl, depending on the state of the match. Really gives very little scope to actually learn anything, and takes them away from playing full matches with their state side, too.

I mean, what did (for example) Cameron Bancroft really learn from his lone T20I last summer? First off, it's not a format he's especially good or experienced at to begin with, then he got to bat (at #7, when he's a natural opener) for one whole minute and not face a ball, then was made to keep wicket and watch up close as the Indians belt our bowlers around the park and chase down 200 comfortably. Just a pointless exercise all round.

always rated your posts mate. You make a great point we dont play enough. Are we serious about it? Can we be?

make runs they say at domestic level to gain selectorship. Bancroft is a good example....run makers occupy the top order, like banny. but enter the national team he's put down the order cause the establishment are set. what to do?

In the wake of his retirement from all forms of the game, and this article on him, I want to say that I think David Hussey was a bit overrated in some circles.

His Sheffield Shield record - 105 matches, 179 innings, 45.58 average (19 centuries, 43 fifties) - is very good, but is significantly less impressive than his overall numbers.

He dined out considerably on inferior competition in Division 2 of the County Championship - 28 matches, 37 innings, 75.84 average (10 centuries, 7 fifties) - boosting his overall average and numbers considerably in the process, making him seem like a better and more prolific batsman than he was.

Credit to him, he was somewhat of a late bloomer (made his first class debut at age 25 in February 2003) and built a very good, lengthy and successful career in the game, but I don't think he would have done especially well if he was given a Test cap, and I don't think it's any great crying shame that he didn't play Test cricket, because I think he would have had fairly mediocre results a la his ODI and T20I numbers.

Overstated first class career perhaps but given the volume of players who have carved out excellent test careers with numbers inferior to Hussey's Shield record alone, it's tough to mount an argument to suggest he wouldn't have made it in tests if given a decent run.

Clarke averaged 47 for his whole FC career, presumably less in Shield, he turned out ok.

David Hussey was quite correctly not given a Test cap, ordinary player.

On what grounds? Regardless of having a record puffed up by county cricket, 47 over a lengthy Shield career is enough to match most decent test players over the years. Looks even better too considering the norm for a shield batsmen these days seems to be mid 30s.

I don't particularly like the bloke, I didn't have the same obsession with his brother that most people had either, but his numbers tell that he was a decent player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back