Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the tips - no idea what to expect from Nashville. Wasn't even in our plans but we've managed to squeeze in a few days in between Miami and NYC :thumbsu:

Gotta check out some live music while you're there. The Station Inn, the Bluebird Cafe, the Mercy Lounge and the Exit/In are all top notch.

Anyone ever road tripped from Cali/ LA to Florida?

Planning on doin it next year over 10 weeks. Anyone know some cool and interesting things to see along the way? Or cool places to stay?

I have a bit of an odd question regarding stopovers in American Airports. I'm currently in Asia and I'm wanting to fly to Central or South America once I receive my new passport over here. I recently went to Iran so I'm not eligible for the Visa Waiver. Does anyone think I can get away with a visa free American stopover without leaving the airport on a new passport? If not I have other options (eg going through Vancouver) but they are more expensive and time consuming.

I have a bit of an odd question regarding stopovers in American Airports. I'm currently in Asia and I'm wanting to fly to Central or South America once I receive my new passport over here. I recently went to Iran so I'm not eligible for the Visa Waiver. Does anyone think I can get away with a visa free American stopover without leaving the airport on a new passport? If not I have other options (eg going through Vancouver) but they are more expensive and time consuming.

If I'm reading your question correctly and you don't leave the international terminal at the airport, you should be fine. If you go international flight to international flight. You shouldn't need a visa.

Canada (in fact everywhere in the world that requires visitors to have a visa) should be the same. As soon as you entre immigration of one country, you will need to produce a visa

If I'm reading your question correctly and you don't leave the international terminal at the airport, you should be fine. If you go international flight to international flight. You shouldn't need a visa.

Canada (in fact everywhere in the world that requires visitors to have a visa) should be the same. As soon as you entre immigration of one country, you will need to produce a visa
You need a visa waiver no matter what.
Doesn't matter if you're doing Antigua-Miami-London and never leave the airport you still need that visa waiver. (Or maybe actual visa if you've been to Iran)

Makes me wonder. I've been to Cuba, will I need an actual visa for that then?

Now, the original reason I came back here, anyone have any advice on what to do in Houston?
I land afternoon of the 3rd and leave the 7th.
Only the 5th (super bowl) has plans in it ATM.

You need a visa waiver no matter what.

Makes me wonder. I've been to Cuba, will I need an actual visa for that then?

Now, the original reason I came back here, anyone have any advice on what to do in Houston?
I land afternoon of the 3rd and leave the 7th.
Only the 5th (super bowl) has plans in it ATM.

I wouldnt think you would need a visa from going to Cuba. I went to Cuba and then back to the US a few months later and nothing was said.

As for Houston, that place is ******* busy, let alone with the Superbowl being on too. I have friends there who will leave town when the rodeo comes by, let alone the superbowl. The space center is pretty cool and Kemah Boardwalk is nice but both a fair way out of the city. We had a car so it wasnt to bad. Not sure about public transport though. The locals laugh at you if you ask them about it.

Go Pats

I don't mind tipping. Most experiences I've had eating over there, most do work hard for the few extra $$ tip. I travelled as a group of 9 last year, once over 8 I think it is gratuity is added to the bill. That's when they get lazy as hell but still excpext the 15-20 percent tip aswell.. Vegas especially was terrible for it with a big group. And Denny's. Stay away from that overrated hole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was planning to go back to the states this year in June/July, surely all of this airport protest stuff will be over by then?

Was planning to go back to the states this year in June/July, surely all of this airport protest stuff will be over by then?
It's totally overblown by an Australian media trying to push their own anti-Trump agenda. The US is as comfortable and peaceful as it has ever been right now.

Mate of mine leaves Thursday to live in San Antonio. A lot of hoops to jump through to get to this point, but it does hopefully mean a good excuse to head over again soon.
Aweome city San antonio

I Was there for his wedding in 2010. Didnt find it the greatest tourist city, but wouldn't be the worst place to live.

The river walk is fantastic.
Yeah i was there for a weekend. Just checked out the alamo and hung out near the river at a few bars for a day

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I'm looking at flying into New York and then heading to Texas, probably flying out of there. Very keen on Austin, but what is a good way to do this – I'll have five to eight, probably six weeks for the US. Easy enough to get the M79 to Boston, like the Vampire Weekend song? Any good places to just spend two or three days in that are close to NY? Is Upstate NY worth it? What are the best cities in Texas? Should I just fly from somewhere near New York to Texas, or should I get a bus or a train or something – is there somewhere to stop along the way?

For some background, I'm interested in small towns and checking out classic America but also obviously want a big city too where there are things to do, locations to see, great food to eat, I'm into my beers so stuff like that, live music, some culture, 'cool' sort of towns... not into your Las Vegas or theme park sort of thing.

I'll be there late July to late August, maybe early September.

As I'm flying to Perth, is it worth going to Los Angeles/San Francisco/California on the way back?

Cheers.

I'm looking at flying into New York and then heading to Texas, probably flying out of there. Very keen on Austin, but what is a good way to do this – I'll have five to eight, probably six weeks for the US. Easy enough to get the M79 to Boston, like the Vampire Weekend song? Any good places to just spend two or three days in that are close to NY? Is Upstate NY worth it? What are the best cities in Texas? Should I just fly from somewhere near New York to Texas, or should I get a bus or a train or something – is there somewhere to stop along the way?

For some background, I'm interested in small towns and checking out classic America but also obviously want a big city too where there are things to do, locations to see, great food to eat, I'm into my beers so stuff like that, live music, some culture, 'cool' sort of towns... not into your Las Vegas or theme park sort of thing.

I'll be there late July to late August, maybe early September.

As I'm flying to Perth, is it worth going to Los Angeles/San Francisco/California on the way back?

Cheers.
I can't offer anything on the eastern side of the US as o haven't been there. My brother had great things to say about North Carolina though if your looking for something outside the big cities

Los Angeles isn't a very nice city - San Francisco I think is far more interesting albeit I only spent a couple of days there but wished I stayed longer as it was a lot better than I thought it'd be

SF would be more appealing to you than LA I believe - bit more of a counter-culture there and not as car dependant

California will only be a goer if it's no more expensive to fly via there, I guess. Mostly interested in Texas and people's experiences and reviews, and also good towns nearby to New York City that are easy to get to on buses or trains. Cheers. Thanks anyway Keys.

I reckon San Francisco would really interest you SA. The bay area is stunning and there's heaps of interesting stories behind the city.

LA itself isn't great. Large and sprawling, lots of homeless people and anger. Santa Monica beach is the best I've been to anywhere though.

New Orleans is a place I'd recommend highly though maybe not everyone's cup of tea; stood out as different to everywhere else I went . Bourbon street is dirty but pumping every night of the week but personally enjoyed Frenchman street the most. Great Jazz and blues.

Went to Dallas and Houston in Texas but wish I'd just done Austin. Probably one regret of my trip apart from not getting to Chicago.

I''d definitely recommend Boston. Probably my second favourite place behind New York.Would happily live there. Some parallels with Melbourne for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back