Autopsy Round 1 v Richmond - Blues go down by 43

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
frustrating.... 6 or 7 turnovers/skill errors/wrong decisions cost us goals and that was the difference really (plus not manning up on Martin he seemed to be by himself all the time).....everything has been said..despite the loss there was heaps to get excited about..loved Marchbanks confidence and SPS had some great moments...Macreadie is a find and the likes of SOS and Weiters second year in are perfect fits....Ploughman was terrific...Murp did his job 18 contested was fantastic...Kreuz oozed.....still got some unskilled passengers but they'll be gone when we can replace them...not even half way through the rebuild and looking OK....

Bring on Melbourne

i reckon the MC and coaching staff will study hours of footage and mine a heap of stats and see just how these guys played.

They'll look at the performances of the other players on the list and where they are in their development and then decide if they are going to make changes. Apparently they do this all the time And they seem heavily biased TOWARDS playing youth, as shown last night when they didn't choose Palmer and Kerrridge who, frankly, probably would have offered more for the whole game.

Next week they'll probably pick some more kids and we'll still probably lose but I don't mind as long as players are learning.

It's all pretty obvious if people want to be rational.

Not convinced that we have to go for kids and I'm not sure that studying hours of footage and mining heaps of stats can turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

Daisy looks to me like a player whose body is no longer capable of doing what his brain tells it. I can relate to that, my golf swing doesn't do what my memory tells it but I've come to grips with the fact that I'll no longer play off a 3 handicap. I think it's time Daisy and the MC acknowledge this.

As for Army and White they do nothing better (if even as good) as they've always done which (other than the odd cameo) has, at best, seen them among the last 4 or 5 players selected when they are.

I'd probably like a shade of odds that none of those 3 will be on our list next season.

On the other hand we have Kerridge, Lamb, Sumner, Buckley, Jaksch and Graham who are not kids but still have upwards of 8 years in their prime physical state. I'd rather we give all of these guys some regular game time to see if they can take that extra step than add some or all to the other 3 on the delisted pile. Army, White and Daisy are to old to add a leg. Let's see if these others can.

Our recent history is littered with delists of players who never really got an extended chance to prove themselves. I think this needs to change.

Cripps had a shocker, not sure if it's lack of preseason or, perhaps, a mandate to try and push forward more. For one of the competition's best contested and clearance players, he seemed to be nowhere near getting first hands on the ball. Play him to his strengths, he doesn't need to become a goal-kicker overnight.

agree 100%. just stick him in the middle full stop. Cripps is the type of player that changes games and gets others involved

I mentioned Ed would only get a game for 1-3 other bottom dwelling teams in the AFL and we were one of those unfortunately. I'm gunna take that back and say he would get a game in only some VFL teams only.

He's kicking on the run made Casboult style look like he's Tony Lockett.

Ed really only has one role in the team and that is tagging. So if he's not going to do that he might as well play VFL.

For mine our team next week should look something like:

FB Macreadie - Rowe - Plowman
HB Buckley - Marchbank - Docherty
C C.Curnow - P.Cripps - SPS
HF Wright - Weitering - Smedts?
FF Pickett - Jones/KJ - SOS
FOL Murphy - Kruzer - Gibbs
I/C E.Curnow - Cunningham - Palmer - *

In the * spot, I wouldnt mind seeing one of the other young fellas get a game but cant decide who.

If C.Curnow is going to play a mid role, I think his future is as a tall wing player with plenty of room to lead and mark.

I nearly vomited when i seen Jones

He should be replaced...we have quite a few options for his position.

If fit could go with the likes of a Sumner, Lamb or Polson.

Or could just bring in an extra midfielder instead like Kerridge/Palmer.

Love Dangles, but it appears that the game may have gone past him.
I'd play Cuningham next week in his place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Jaksch or Jones produce less than Levi? I don't see how that'd be possible.

Probably yes.. But either way Liam Jones is finished as an AFL player.. he is not getting any better and should have been cut last year. Would rather give Harry a go, even if he does nothing at least its experience than waste another game on Liam Jones.

This is my argument. We are talking about 3-4 players. We still have our better mature players playing. Personally I reckon within a few games Macreadie Cuningham Williamson or McKay (for example) could do better than White Thomas Armfield Casboult anyway.

I really don't see how those 4 actually add to our performance in anyway. If anything they make us worse.

That is 4 extra spots in our 22 in which 6-8 of our kids can be rotated through during the season

SPOT ON this.......SPOT ON...

Great Post !!

Positive signs.
Weitering kicked 3 on the AA full back and will be a star.
Marchbank is a terrific pick up.
Kruezer beat Nankervis and looks to have recaptured form. Hope he gets a good run with no injuries. Like him a lot.
Murphy was superb.
Your young talls look super impressive.
You hit the scoreboard and that will teach the kids a lot.

Probably yes.. But either way Liam Jones is finished as an AFL player.. he is not getting any better and should have been cut last year. Would rather give Harry a go, even if he does nothing at least its experience than waste another game on Liam Jones.
Harry kicked 4 yesterday but I'd like to see him back that up. What'll push Casboult out of the side won't be Harry, but rather Phillips coming back in.

Jones might be finished as an AFL player, but Casboult isn't far behind. At least Jones would give us a better contest at ground level. I'd have the former Bulldog ahead of Casboult every day of the week (admitting neither are terribly appetising prospects).

Okay here is my evaluation from a toilet break at work.

We were killed by three things.

1. Skill Errors
2. Lack of outside run
3. Overwhelmed defence

1. Skill Errors
There were constant skill errors last night. Even from players like Docherty missing a pass by a metre and sending it out of bounds. The worst errors were the fumbles. Running over the ball, not picking it up clearly, dropping the ball from the hand. Some of these led to clear goals by Richmond.

How can we fix this? Composure experience and picking the right players. Armfield and Daisy have to be dropped. Made too many errors and dont have the composure necessary. Once we get more talented individuals like Cuningham and Fisher in we can build THEIR experience. The rest of the team should settle, i think we had a very poor preseason and got found out because of it. But we can build throughout this year.

2. Lack of outside run
We were too slow and let richmond run in waves outside the packs last night. We never got the ball when it spilled outside.

How do we fix this? Personell and effort. Again, Cuningham needs to play, Fisher or Sumner or Kerridge as well need to come in. We were too slow, Cripps will build as the season goes so we can get better if we try. We do need to hit midfield runners at the draft though.

3. Overwhelmed defence
I think our defence was a little tall and there were too many entries by Richmond

How do we fix this - Macreadie whilst he did okay should be subbed for a smaller player and we need to fix the turnover issue in the middle.

Loved Weities, Marchy, Plowman, Murph, Kreuze and a few others last night

The absolute best we can do is 10 or 11 wins, but realistically we should win 5 or 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back