New DVD – "State of Origin: Heritage Collection"

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stumbled across this by accident when scrolling through Twitter as Fox Footy are running a competition on winning a copy of this new DVD (link here for those interested)

Would I be right in saying that this is the first time that any State of Origin games have been released on DVD? And probably also the first time that a number of them have been collated?

I was only young when SoO wound up so I'm not sure if there are any glaring omissions in this 'collection', but please give your feedback in this thread as I am somewhat interested in picking it up. $80 for 10 matches seems reasonable.

Description is as follows:

bhe7628-pack.jpg

For many footy fans, the memories of State of Origin football during its halcyon days still burn bright. Parochial crowds, proud players, physical contests, passionate coaches: these were the hallmarks of the showpiece games that helped define a golden era of footy during the 1980s and 1990s.

While State of Origin may no longer grace the annual football calendar, its legends stay with us forever: a young Gary Ablett Sr making his mark with eight goals against Western Australia in 1984; Gary Buckenara’s miracle snap against the Vics at Subiaco in ‘86; Dermott Brereton, Jason Dunstall and Tony Lockett demolishing South Australia in front of 90,000 fans at The ‘G in ‘89; the boys from Tassie stunning the Big V a year later on a cold wintry day in Hobart; Wayne Carey, Darren Jarman and Tony Modra sticking it to the Vics in the early ‘90s; and Ted Whitten – a man whose mere presence on the sideline embodied all that was good about the interstate contest – farewelling the MCG with an emotional lap of honour in 1995.

In this special collection, witness 10 of the greatest games of State of Origin footy from the archives, presented in their original broadcast format.

Contains:

• 1984: Western Australia vs Victoria
  • 1986: South Australia vs Victoria
  • 1986: Western Australia vs Victoria
  • 1988: South Australia vs Victoria
  • 1989: Victoria vs South Australia
  • 1990: Tasmania vs Victoria
  • 1990: Victoria vs Western Australia
  • 1991: Victoria vs South Australia
  • 1992: South Australia vs Victoria
  • 1995: Victoria vs South Australia
http://www.beyondhe.com.au/afl-state-of-origin-heritage-collection.html

I already said it. $79.99
Ah my bad, bit disappointed every game features vic (even though i am a proud Vic), but surely SA and WA played some crackers between them.

If it was around $50 or $60 i might consider picking it up

Ah my bad, bit disappointed every game features vic (even though i am a proud Vic), but surely SA and WA played some crackers between them.

If it was around $50 or $60 i might consider picking it up
SA v WA weren't under SOO rules.

I wonder why are AFL Videos releasing these classic State of Origin games now on a DVD pack when they should have done it years beforehand. Rugby League has already put out its DVD collections of their State of Origin matches from years gone by.

I wonder why are AFL Videos releasing these classic State of Origin games now on a DVD pack when they should have done it years beforehand. Rugby League has already put out its DVD collections of their State of Origin matches from years gone by.
My guess is the little official AFL logo in the corner.

Maybe they have just waited until they could get the rights to publish really cheaply.

I'm guessing Rugby League did not record over their historic games from yesteryear like the VFL did.
So much footage lost.

A very large percentage of Name a Game titles are games which have come from people who kept their video tapes stored away for years.
It's been savvy collectors who have hunt down VFL/VFA games and helped recovered these priceless gems such as State of Origin footy.

Just on the 1990 WA v Victoria State of Origin game, if Victoria had lost to the Sandgropers (to go with the defeats at the hands of NSW and Tasmania that year), would the late Ted Whitten Snr had kept his job as Victorian chairman of selectors and Bill Goggin as Victoria coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was watching the 1989 Vic v SA game on that DVD collection. The 2 questions I have concerning the game are:

1) Is the Victorian side that played against SA the best team ever in State of Origin history?

2) Would Graham Cornes had made a difference to the result if he had coached SA and not John Cahill, considering Cornes's winning record against Victoria up to 1989?

Was watching the 1989 Vic v SA game on that DVD collection. The 2 questions I have concerning the game are:

1) Is the Victorian side that played against SA the best team ever in State of Origin history?

2) Would Graham Cornes had made a difference to the result if he had coached SA and not John Cahill, considering Cornes's winning record against Victoria up to 1989?

I was just a young kid when I went to that game in '89. It was the only SOO game I ever went to.
I don't think anything was going to prevent a Victorian massacre that day. The promotion and build up to that game was something I've only ever seen since with EJ's final lap in '95. Perhaps because it was to be the final year of the VFL, but Victoria was so so keen on burying SA in this game.

I was just a young kid when I went to that game in '89. It was the only SOO game I ever went to.
I don't think anything was going to prevent a Victorian massacre that day. The promotion and build up to that game was something I've only ever seen since with EJ's final lap in '95. Perhaps because it was to be the final year of the VFL, but Victoria was so so keen on burying SA in this game.
I reckon the crowd support was 95% Victoria, 5% SA. To give you an idea just how hostile the crowd was towards the Croweaters, at half-time of the State of Origin game, there was a long kick competition involving representatives from around Australia. When the SA player was called up to take his kick, the boos that he got was like the reception the then VFL president Dr Allen Aylett got when he gave Hawthorn captain Leigh Matthews the premiership cup after the 1983 grand final.

Would it be fair to say the SA team that played against the Vics back in 1989 not the strongest side ever to represent the Croweaters? From memory, Chris McDermott, Gilbert McAdam, Tony Antrobus, Andrew Rogers, Garry McIntosh and the leading goal kicker in the SANFL, Scott Hodges wasn't in the SA lineup that day.

Would it be fair to say the SA team that played against the Vics back in 1989 not the strongest side ever to represent the Croweaters? From memory, Chris McDermott, Gilbert McAdam, Tony Antrobus, Andrew Rogers, Garry McIntosh and the leading goal kicker in the SANFL, Scott Hodges wasn't in the SA lineup that day.

Interesting. When you add this to the fact that some of the Vic side that day weren't even Victorian (Dunstall, Daniher etc) it suggests that this match wasn't as great as the nostalgia filter suggests it is.

Interesting. When you add this to the fact that some of the Vic side that day weren't even Victorian (Dunstall, Daniher etc) it suggests that this match wasn't as great as the nostalgia filter suggests it is.
I think from memory the then VFL asked the National Football League (no, not the US gridiron version) for permission to have Jason Dunstall(Qld), Terry Daniher(NSW), Darren Pritchard (Tas) to be included in the Victorian side. Dunstall earlier that year played for Victoria against WA in Perth and won the Simpson Medal.

I think from memory the then VFL asked the National Football League (no, not the US gridiron version) for permission to have Jason Dunstall(Qld), Terry Daniher(NSW), Darren Pritchard (Tas) to be included in the Victorian side. Dunstall earlier that year played for Victoria against WA in Perth and won the Simpson Medal.
I thought the rules (until Carey was eligible for SA, then the Vics ensure the rules were changed so everyone had one state) were that a tier one state had first rights over players from a tier two state playing in that state - except playing against that second tier state. So, Dunstall was eligible for Victoria; unless they played Queensland.
Which is how the likes of Longmire, Toohey, etc played both for and against Victoria in the same year. For NSW v Vic, and for VicB v Tas. And how Pritchard played for Vic in 1989 despite his original state, Tas, playing on the same weekend.

It all made much more sense after the changes, except they created the Allies.

There was one thing I noticed when watching the 1984 WA v Victoria State of Origin game, and it was the fact that the TV commentators were all from WA.

No Victorian commentary at all.

And seeing the game was beamed back live to Melbourne by Channel 7 (or HSV 7 Melbourne at the time), surely the late Ron Casey could've allowed Peter Landy, the late Lou Richards and Bob Skilton to fly to Perth and call the game for the benefit of Victorian viewers back in Melbourne.

When watching the 1984 WA v Vic game, the WAFL could be considered 'ahead of their time' when you look at the innovations they introduced in the early 1980s:
-25 and 50 metre arcs at each end of the ground;
-Players numbers on front of jumper as well as back;
-Sponsors (ie Town and Country WA) printed on the Burley footballs

Expect to see these games up on my YouTube channel pretty soon. I'm the Robin Hood of footy!
The majority of them are already uploaded to YT. If the quality on the dvd rips is better than what's up at the moment then I guess that would be pretty nifty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back