List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He definitely deserves credit, as long as he continues evolving. It certainly would've been hard to get the players to buy back in after some of the demoralizing performances. We're also winning games with a young team, something that Ross Lyon teams in the past have struggled to do. Still a long long way to go though.

For a team in the first year of a potential 4 year rebuild, we're not doing too badly.

For a team in the first year of a potential 4 year rebuild, we're not doing too badly.

Certainly not if we make finals. The four recruits we have brought in have made a big difference. If we're going to praise Ross we need to also praise Bond and Brad Lloyd for bringing in those guys, especially at their low value.

Certainly not if we make finals. The four recruits we have brought in have made a big difference. If we're going to praise Ross we need to also praise Bond and Brad Lloyd for bringing in those guys, especially at their low value.
Careful, praising our list management is a death sentence on here, 80% of people seem to hate Lloyd and Bond.

Even though they seem to do a pretty damn good job at draft day and a good job at not getting bent over backwards in trades as we had in the past...

I figured that as Mundy was getting longer in the tooth and playing less in the midfield, that Ross would play him more and more in defence (as he had for a lot of last year). Many people ached for a permanent shift of Fyfe to chf and most people (me included) thought Fyfe would at least be rotating through the forward line and be the one to take some spectacular clunks and hit the goals and give a hint of Wayne Carey.

It was a shrewd move by Rossco to push Mundy forward. Not saying that based on the emotion of that match winning goal, but we needed a leader - particularly with moving Walters to midfield and it's been a great move and he's contributed well as a forward. If it were me, I would have left him in defence as a stalwart and an attempt to keep our rebound out of defence options strong - and everyone thinks Ross is all defence first/everything else second, but pushing Mundy forward doesn't fit the expectations people would have from Ross.

Last edited:
I figured that as Mundy was getting longer in the tooth and playing less in the midfield, that Ross would play him more and more in defence (as he had for a lot of last year). Many people ached for a permanent shift of Fyfe to chf and most people (me included) thought Fyfe would at least be rotating through the forward line and be the one to take some spectacular clunks and hit the goals and give a hint of Wayne Carey.

It was a shrewd move by Rossco to push Mundy forward. Not saying that based on the emotion of that match winning goal, but we needed a leader - particularly with moving Walters to midfield and it's been a great move and he's contributed well as a forward. If it were me, I would have left him in defence as a stalwart and an attempt to keep our rebound out of defence options strong - and everyone thinks Ross is all defence first/everything else second, but pushing Mundy forward doesn't fit the expectations people would have from Ross.
If you told me at the start of the year that Mundy was playing deep forward I would've dreaded it.

Proven me so wrong. He's brilliant down there.

I noticed throughout the year when mundy is forward he is pointing and steering guys like mccarthy and kersten on where to go. With an inexperienced forward line with pav now gone.

Mundy going down there with a experienced head is helping everyone around him. And not only that he makes the best defender accountable to him which lets mccarthy and kersten off the chain and 2nd and 3rd defender's.

Been a great move by Ross.

Careful, praising our list management is a death sentence on here, 80% of people seem to hate Lloyd and Bond.

Even though they seem to do a pretty damn good job at draft day and a good job at not getting bent over backwards in trades as we had in the past...
To be fair we've had quite a few busts with early picks. It's our late picks and rookies that have been shining.

There's a fair bit of luck involved that 4 good WA players over East all wanted to come home at the same time. We got them all at bargain prices because they basically walked out on their teams. That's more a case of good luck than good management if you ask me. I'll still take it though.

There's a fair bit of luck involved that 4 good WA players over East all wanted to come home at the same time. We got them all at bargain prices because they basically walked out on their teams. That's more a case of good luck than good management if you ask me. I'll still take it though.

We targeted Hamling a year out. That is good work.

The Hawks did this a lot, and it something you need to do to get the players you want instead of just the players heading to your state.

We could have got Yarren, Redden, Wellingham. We have targetted the right people, and let the rest go to the Eagles :D

Last edited:

A little from column A, a little from column B. If we were a poorly run club then unless we've paid miles over the odds then they wouldn't want to come here in the first place.

A little from column A, a little from column B. If we were a poorly run club then unless we've paid miles over the odds then they wouldn't want to come here in the first place.

For sure. I'm just saying it doesn't really take a genius recruiter to recognise that people like Brad Hill, McCarthy and Hamling are people you'd want in your side. We lucked out in the respect that they wanted to come to WA, so we're only competing with 1 other team for their services.

For sure. I'm just saying it doesn't really take a genius recruiter to recognise that people like Brad Hill, McCarthy and Hamling are people you'd want in your side. We lucked out in the respect that they wanted to come to WA, so we're only competing with 1 other team for their services.

Hamling 12 months ago was playing VFL and we starting targeting him then. , Kersten looks like an inspired pick at the moment.

Don't know what it got to do with Ross , all four play in JLT and R1 and rd2 . So far the best thing RTB do were having the courage to dropped 6 players and bringing in players like Ethan ,grey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's all Hawthorn kept doing during their run and they were heralded as geniuses for it.

That's all Hawthorn kept doing during their run and they were heralded as geniuses for it.

It's biting them on the arse now, especially as not all mature recruits are guns (see Vickery). Collingwood too. We still need to develop our own talent where we can.

It's biting them on the arse now, especially as not all mature recruits are guns (see Vickery). Collingwood too. We still need to develop our own talent where we can.

Which we are doing. Can't say we haven't done a good job of bringing guys like Neale, the Three Amigos, Tabs, et. al. on. We'd have a bit more in the cupboard if Ape and AP haven't been unlucky with injury.

Which we are doing. Can't say we haven't done a good job of bringing guys like Neale, the Three Amigos, Tabs, et. al. on. We'd have a bit more in the cupboard if Ape and AP haven't been unlucky with injury.

Can't think of anyone who's been managed worse than Tabs. Dropped every 2nd week, used as the scapegoat for our poor forward delivery/run of bad weather. Criticised for lack of impact when our gameplan was "kick it to Pav". Not really chalking that up to great player management sorry.

Doing the obvious is not always what Fremantle has been known for. Yes it isn't genius, but it would have been pretty easy for players like Hill and Hamling to stay at their clubs though.

I had no sense that Hamling was actively looking for a trade, and the Hill trade involved the decision to let Mayne go. Sure it looks like a no brainer to let Mayne slip away, but staring at the loss of Pavlich, the uncertainty of what McCarthy may actually contribute given his lay off, and at that stage, no Kersten, I think that is at least a little gutsy.

That left the gappiest forward line in history I reckon.

Some people on social media and other boards reckon that the reason we are playing more running football is because apparently Ross has stopped coaching and is just letting the players have at it. :rolleyes: Saw a comment about how we got a lead and how Ross just brought his defensive playbook out and caused us to be run down.

Ross has his shortcomings, but anyone who thinks he's just letting the guys play their own game out there rather than drilling them with structures in place is just moronic. People are quick to hang s**t on the guy when things are going poorly but can't give him credit when things are doing well.

I think that he's doing a good job of balancing a positive way of holding the young players to a high standard while focusing on each game as a learning opportunity. IMO, he's bringing up the young ones pretty nicely, with the help of the grounded vets on the field. :thumbsu:
This might be true, but the comment about the defensive playbook was spot on. The fact that we often change the style of play that has given us a winning lead in order to do something different late in the game to try and defend that lead, only for it to enable the opposition to steadily chip away at our lead is classic RTB.

Can't think of anyone who's been managed worse than Tabs. Dropped every 2nd week, used as the scapegoat for our poor forward delivery/run of bad weather. Criticised for lack of impact when our gameplan was "kick it to Pav". Not really chalking that up to great player management sorry.
He tried hard but was fairly average his first few years. Working with Hale has brought the best out of him what with adding his ruck work, better body positioning and not letting himself be pushed off the ball, and vastly improved marking.

[
He tried hard but was fairly average his first few years. Working with Hale has brought the best out of him what with adding his ruck work, better body positioning and not letting himself be pushed off the ball, and vastly improved marking.
Playing wafl help him improve his ruck work.

I was thinking the same. and watching Mundy chat to McCarthy and Kersten you realise they are all the same height and prob weight. Means mundy could be a foil for rance at times yesterday freeing up the others. smart move ross

Back