News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

It makes sense that AFC would just let them go about their business and quietly profit from it. IMHO, this venture has to be completely non-interventionist (preferred option) or lean in completely to a rebranding effort.

I'm not a fan of (Non-AFL) leagues placing undue importance on 'the Sydney market' so it's disappointing to see that AFC may contribute to this. But I don't know enough about the structures of e-sport leagues to know if this is a thing.

Does our team play lots of different games or just LoL?
According to their Twitter: LoL, CSGo and Smite. But I've also read they have four teams, I don't know what the 4th game is. Apparently the LoL team is the main purchasing reason, the rest is just bonus.

Absolutely it needs Crows branding. Brand is everything for attracting new supporters.
I don't think that is what this is about.

I see it as a separate entity that we own and support and use the profits for our Football program.

Maybe as time goes on and the league grows there could be some sort of Legacey membership, related to that entity. But that would be a long way off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It makes sense that AFC would just let them go about their business and quietly profit from it. IMHO, this venture has to be completely non-interventionist (preferred option) or lean in completely to a rebranding effort.

I'm not a fan of (Non-AFL) leagues placing undue importance on 'the Sydney market' so it's disappointing to see that AFC may contribute to this. But I don't know enough about the structures of e-sport leagues to know if this is a thing.

According to their Twitter: LoL, CSGo and Smite. But I've also read they have four teams, I don't know what the 4th game is. Apparently the LoL team is the main purchasing reason, the rest is just bonus.

Rocket league is the 4th. ESports in Aus has been Sydney-centric mainly due to population. Melbourne a close 2nd. But because of the online aspect it's not such a huge deal. The Legacy LoL team consists of a couple Kiwis iirc.

Absolutely it needs Crows branding. Brand is everything for attracting new supporters.
I don't think our strategy here has anything to do with bringing current eSports fans over to the footy.

if we just wanted a Crows eSports team we could have started one, we want the Legacy brand that's already strong in that marketplace. We want to take that brand to the next level professionally and get to work selling a shitload of advertising and striking up sponsorship deals.

any supporter crossover either way will likely be considered a bonus.

Probably slightly off topic but I recall Fagan saying how we have started using AFCmedia to generate revenue. Not just via YouTube but in producing media for other entities

Given this sport is pretty much social media driven it is a great tie in with AFCmedia. Legacy will help support AFCmedia's work and broaden it's revenue generating capacity.

I think another aspect of AFCmedia's work could be picking up media production work that 7,9 and 10 would have done a few years ago. The tv media in this town is skeletal and few production/editing people employed. This has created an opening for a business like us to exploit in doing corporate media work and other media stuff these guys would have traditionally done.

Rocket league is the 4th. ESports in Aus has been Sydney-centric mainly due to population. Melbourne a close 2nd. But because of the online aspect it's not such a huge deal. The Legacy LoL team consists of a couple Kiwis iirc.
When watching on youtube, the commentators excitedly shouted "the kiwi sniper" a few times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably slightly off topic but I recall Fagan saying how we have started using AFCmedia to generate revenue. Not just via YouTube but in producing media for other entities

Given this sport is pretty much social media driven it is a great tie in with AFCmedia. Legacy will help support AFCmedia's work and broaden it's revenue generating capacity.

I think another aspect of AFCmedia's work could be picking up media production work that 7,9 and 10 would have done a few years ago. The tv media in this town is skeletal and few production/editing people employed. This has created an opening for a business like us to exploit in doing corporate media work and other media stuff these guys would have traditionally done.
they - similar to the print media - seem to have absolutely no idea what someone can do with a decent camera and a computer with an hours worth of training on YouTube.

my only complaint about AFCmedia's work is that while technically quite capable, whoever is heading up the creative aspect is churning out a lot of uninspired work. They ought to offer some entry level positions to local Casey Neistat wannabes and see what they can do.

Is the Youtuvmbe vision created by Legacy ie their own YouTube channel or is it league media?

Both. They have their own channel, and so does the league which shows games in full. The best of 5 semi went for about 6 and a half hours, but you can obviously skip through the breaks and stuff.

they - similar to the print media - seem to have absolutely no idea what someone can do with a decent camera and a computer with an hours worth of training on YouTube.

my only complaint about AFCmedia's work is that while technically quite capable, whoever is heading up the creative aspect is churning out a lot of uninspired work. They ought to offer some entry level positions to local Casey Neistat wannabes and see what they can do.
The type of work I would like to hear about AFCmedia doing is stuff we will most likely never see.
Corporate media. Presentations, producing media for sales pitches, tender bids etc.

Both. They have their own channel, and so does the league which shows games in full. The best of 5 semi went for about 6 and a half hours, but you can obviously skip through the breaks and stuff.
So long term the social media (Youtube) aspect of Legacy could be a decent source of revenue.

Well I for one am pumped that we are getting into the eSports game. Many other international sporting teams are aligning with eSports franchises, really clever by the Crows.

My 16 year old son plays Overwatch with a single-minded aim of becoming a professional player. I have coached at the international level in a few sports, and eSports is as involved and complex as any I have been involved in.

I notice with my son, the parts missing for him and players like him are the same things a good golfer would be lacking without a strong pathway. The skills and game sense could be elite ... but the other things needed to take the next step cannot be done without professional coaching and environment.

Adelaide will bring it's knowledge on what it takes to be a professional athlete to these eSports players. Sports Psych (my field of interest) is starting to become massive in eSports, as the stress and ability to perform under pressure are huge assets. Things like diet, exercise, state of mind, game strategy, game review, teamwork, opp player / opp team scoping are all essential if you want to compete with the best teams ... and most of the eSports guys have no real access to these services.

I'm excited to see where this alignment goes, the idea of bringing in another group of athletes to our club and sharing elite habits with them looks like a great fit. Maybe one day I will have a son or daughter that plays for the Crows in an eSport league? That would be awesome.

Seems the more professional eSports will become, less Red Bull and Doritos will be consumed.
much like they still sell plenty of coke and pies at the footy, that legacy will live on in the amateur scene don't worry :p

EDIT: don't know why anyone would eat Doritos while gaming though, that s**t gets all over your fingers and messes up your mouse and keyboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back