2nds Northern Blues 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may not get an opportunity with us because of the good form of the back six but that doesn't rule out him being a successful player. Plus, Rowe is 30 soon.

I was a close watcher and big supporter of Marcus Adams in the WAFL as a potential target. The Bulldogs picked him up and , although he had a an average game on Friday, he's been a good performer and a solid backman.

Well, Jonses last 5 weeks (admittedly I didn't see yesterday's but it was the best of his games apparently) are so far above Adams output it's not even close. He's taller, faster, better at ground level, a better tackler and a better kick than Adams. The only thing Adams is close to is marking, and Jones at least breaks even.

All for the low low price of pick 46.
Adams was pick 35.

Think the biggest issue is how Jones reads the play, switching to the backline could help improve that side of game dramatically

Looking at the last few weeks, the MC would be very tempted t get Sauce in there with those big pack grabs.

Agree, but as good as his leap has been at ruck contests, the taps just aren't hitting their marks nearly enough.
Hard to say whether the mids aren't positioning themselves as they should be or Philips' radar is off.

Pretty sure they're going to want to give Polson another shot in the seniors also, along with Macreadie.

Agree, but as good as his leap has been at ruck contests, the taps just aren't hitting their marks nearly enough.
Hard to say whether the mids aren't positioning themselves as they should be or Philips' radar is off.

Pretty sure they're going to want to give Polson another shot in the seniors also, along with Macreadie.

I still think Phillips is safe for another year or two.

Let's be honest. Our senior defenders would destroy the VFL as well. Harrison is the future.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll be honest.....we don't have a defender capable of making the impact Jones did yesterday.
That not to say that Jones is better but that he put fear into the Saints players I hadn't seen in a long time..........although ASilvagni was very good before his call-up.

Macreadie is the future but why do we simply keep dismissing someone from the future, when they're still a relatively young 26......Sheehan included?

I still think Phillips is safe for another year or two.
Has to be. MK has to stay. Gorringe will be delisted, as might Korcheck.

We'll bring in a 3rd IMO, whether it be via trade, DFA or a mature ager in the state leagues. All 3 have a part to play though.

Another game where one has to wonder as to how Kerridge will find more games at senior level.
Whereas Palmer can look lazy and sometimes slow with his attack on the ball, Kerridge is the opposite........but he just can't handle that ball.
Fumbling comes about much to often, panic sets in and turnovers come about regularly.

If he didn't have another year of contract, he'd likely be in the firing line. Just can't see how he's going to correct his shortcomings.

Another game where one has to wonder as to how Kerridge will find more games at senior level.
Whereas Palmer can look lazy and sometimes slow with his attack on the ball, Kerridge is the opposite........but he just can't handle that ball.
Fumbling comes about much to often, panic sets in and turnovers come about regularly.

If he didn't have another year of contract, he'd likely be in the firing line. Just can't see how he's going to correct his shortcomings.

Probably can't but it's not all bad.
I look at Sam K and see Plowman, Philips, Sumner and Lamb.

His value to the team is now someone who, although no longer best 22 (or probably 30 , too harsh) is driving professional standards. Which is what was said of him from the moment he walked through the door.

Yes, fumbly bumbly but has played a few good games and a few more serviceable games.

My only issue with him is he looks like an evil German ski instructor.

Probably can't but it's not all bad.
I look at Sam K and see Plowman, Philips, Sumner and Lamb.

His value to the team is now someone who, although no longer best 22 (or probably 30 , too harsh) is driving professional standards. Which is what was said of him from the moment he walked through the door.

Yes, fumbly bumbly but has played a few good games and a few more serviceable games.

My only issue with him is he looks like an evil German ski instructor.

You still have to look at the player in isolation and what he brings to the squad.

Seems to have got the jitters even more in recent weeks.
Maybe just going through one of those patches, where hardly anything goes right for you....but you can't afford to have someone on the list, that the less times the ball is in their hands....the better.

Things have turned around for Jones.......so maybe there is still 'hope'. :)

At the end of the quarter breaks Kerridge was asking "Where is the grippo, who's got the grippo". Boy he needed more of it yesterday.

It has been troubling me how has Jones improved so much this year. The thing that has struck me watching him yesterday is as a defender he is marking from behind hands reaching over opponents, whereas before he continually used to try to mark on his chest, maybe because he could get up so high. Have a look at the photo of him spoiling, head and shoulders above Bruce with is arm parallel to the ground. In the past as a forward he would have been in front up just as high trying to chest mark the ball with the defender reaching up to spoil.

This year his hands have been outstanding and he is reach for and grabbing everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another massive positive of having a super strong reserves group is they do maybe give us some flexibility come trade week. May be playing great footy and can't get an opportunity in the seniors so will want a chance elsewhere. They could provide the "cream" to get a bigger deal done. Off topic but just a thought.

This idea cannot be dismissed and I've already mentioned names that may have had zero trade value 6 weeks ago, but may be looked at now.

So important to have a good VFL squad........for a lot of reasons.

You still have to look at the player in isolation and what he brings to the squad.

Seems to have got the jitters even more in recent weeks.
Maybe just going through one of those patches, where hardly anything goes right for you....but you can't afford to have someone on the list, that the less times the ball is in their hands....the better.

Things have turned around for Jones.......so maybe there is still 'hope'. :)

Yes.

I hope so. I like Sam, I like his professionalism, his fitness and sometimes his football .

And he did play some good games last year. His best (IMO)were when we had a fully fit midfield and he could be the wide option coming out of the backline. He was able to use his strength (running) to get free and clear and it took pressure off his weaknesses (handling and kicking under pressure). And then he'd push forward and provide another option.

Alas, that's not his role anymore.

Both Kerridge and Palmer are depth for injuries, managing young players, etc. Graham has taken Kerridge's spot.
Kerridge fights on the field but is a poor kick.
Palmer can't kick over a jam tin ...
Polson and Smedts better kicks and more likely to get a game in the Senior 22 IMO. Lamb could get a spot for pressure forward if he keeps his form up.

Both Kerridge and Palmer are depth for injuries, managing young players, etc. Graham has taken Kerridge's spot.
Kerridge fights on the field but is a poor kick.
Palmer can't kick over a jam tin ...
Polson and Smedts better kicks and more likely to get a game in the Senior 22 IMO. Lamb could get a spot for pressure forward if he keeps his form up.

Seems like it's hard work keeping up with the Joneses....

DAT2Y__UwAAliuM.jpg

Jones current form makes it virtually impossible not to re sign him at the end of the year. It appears he's been re born as a defender come ruckman. I for one am really happy for the guy who has been the butt of many jokes over the years.

MC wont make it easy for him to get a game in an area of the ground we are pretty strong in, but another month of this type of footy is going to make him hard to ignore.

Watching those highlights I couldn't get over how much space players had in the NB's forward line. A combination of some good run & carry & some very dispirited defence from the Zebras. So many relatively easy shots on goal. It is so good to see our players in both the AFL & VFL having shots on goal from good positions. A stark contrast from the days, dating right back to Fev, when we took so many shots on goal from out near the boundary line, or deep in a pocket.

And he would nail every single one...what a player!

This is hopefully where the coaches can earn their dollars, as they seem to be with LJ's marking (as explained above re: old style chest marking that he favoured) and attack on the football.

Buckley appears to be growing as well from his deficiencies (WIP) and Boeky as well.

Any chance LJ can turn the defenders form into a damaging forward?

Or 3 rucks into each zone, MK midfield/centre, Cas forward, LJ back...?

Do we have new player development / sports science people?

I only ask due to a the resting and rotating of players . I don't remember us doing it as often last year. Or is it just that we have a fit list.
Neil Craig may have an influence. He was studying it a Masters level back in the early 80s. Pioneered the sports science role in the SANFL and took it to another level with the original Crowbots. Don't underestimate the man. Uber intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back