Unofficial Preview Early thoughts vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh they are all ordinary

but people have red and white glasses on now and can only see Mitchells faults, eg people claiming he is lazy defensively.
Who said they are ordinary? You did not me. Their disposal is not flash but still over 60% which is just below par but they get a lot of ball which somewhat makes up for it. Early in the season when they weren't getting ball it became obvious though.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

As good as Mitchell is, he's being made to look a star in a midfield without Lewis or S Mitchell. Add these too and he is a 25 - 30 stat accumalator at best

Just came to say that we're pretty f***ed.

We let the one of league's worst forward line get on top of us last week and now we come up against one of the most potent.

With no Frawley or Stratton we have no answer for your talls. Hell we might even need to recall Schoenmakers! Buddy and Tippett should have a field day. Hopefully Buddy gets 4 to overtake Quinlan and enter the Top 10.

Will be interesting to see if you tag Mitchell or let him go.

Also JPK has a chance to notch up 62 consecutive games with 20 or more touches, beating Pendlebury's all time record.

Best of luck.

Couldn't give a stuff about the booing. I just want to embarrass these pr##ks on prime time.
we've played our best footy at graveyard games this season.
Hope tthe bright lights don't scare us.
I can't wait for Bruce's superlatives

Just came to say that we're pretty f***ed.

We let the one of league's worst forward line get on top of us last week and now we come up against one of the most potent.

With no Frawley or Stratton we have no answer for your talls. Hell we might even need to recall Schoenmakers! Buddy and Tippett should have a field day. Hopefully Buddy gets 4 to overtake Quinlan and enter the Top 10.

Will be interesting to see if you tag Mitchell or let him go.

Also JPK has a chance to notch up 62 consecutive games with 20 or more touches, beating Pendlebury's all time record.

Best of luck.

If we play a tag, would be more likely to be on an Issac Smith type i would think. Personally we should just go head to head on mitchell. He will get 30 whether we tag or not.

Surprised Shoemakers hasn't been in your side much. Is he going to play forward or back?

Parker has never been damaging with his disposal imo, a great little player none the less, but he cant hit targets

Agreed. But Parker's ability to take a contested mark, or at least impact a contest, makes him twice as valuable as a mid.

If we play a tag, would be more likely to be on an Issac Smith type i would think. Personally we should just go head to head on mitchell. He will get 30 whether we tag or not.

Surprised Shoemakers hasn't been in your side much. Is he going to play forward or back?

Schoenmakers has been playing mostly forward in the reserves, but he's now down the pecking order due to us wanting to blood young talls like O'Brien, Brand and Heatherley.

Also we could debut a young mid called Cousins who's been carving up the VFL and deserves a chance. Needs rookie elevation though.

I'm confused as to why you guys have turned on Tom Mitchell so quickly, when he was one of the few performers in the finals series (along with Kennedy). The only reason he's at the Hawks is because Tippet and Franklin ate up a lot of the money that should have been given to him as a pay rise for having a legitimate break out year. I barracked for the Swans in the GF against the chuckers, and it's a little bit disheartening to see so much disrespect between two teams sharing a great rivalry.

Regardless, I came to ask a question; do you all feel as though Franklin will be the one who puts us to the sword? It'll be more likely Tippett - big contested marks are hurting us these days and that's one thing Buddy has always been useless at. I'm betting on 6 goals to Tippett, 1.4 to Franklin.

I'm betting on 6 goals to Tippett, 14 to Franklin.

EFA...

As for Mitchell, some of the lunatic fringe disrespect him, but the majority of measured posters here see the whole thing for what it was, a cap squeeze and he was expendable given what we already had. If we paid Mitchell what he wanted, which mind you was probably what he was worth, we would have no chance to keep Zac Jones at the end of this year. Given their respective strengths, Jones is much more important to our needs...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker has never been damaging with his disposal imo, a great little player none the less, but he cant hit targets

I agree with you, but strangely enough I have always considered him a reasonable shot for goal. He keeps the ball low and punches it through and is especially good on windy days...

EFA...

As for Mitchell, some of the lunatic fringe disrespect him, but the majority of measured posters here see the whole thing for what it was, a cap squeeze and he was expendable given what we already had. If we paid Mitchell what he wanted, which mind you was probably what he was worth, we would have no chance to keep Zac Jones at the end of this year. Given their respective strengths, Jones is much more important to our needs...

Fair answer, Jones has a lot of toe and breakaway speed and you probably had the contested situations covered. Lucky you managed to get two likely replacements through the Academy as well, Heeney will dominate if he gets a clear run at a season.

Disagree with your edit though, Buddy will have his chances and blow them. Call me nostradamus!

Buddy's going to kick a bag on Gibson. He hasn't been anywhere near his regular form this year

Gibson has been absolutely cooked for 18 months, I'm amazed they didn't move him on when the Mitchell/Lewis fire sale was in full swing. I guess he was contracted, but my God he is terrible...

I'm confused as to why you guys have turned on Tom Mitchell so quickly, when he was one of the few performers in the finals series (along with Kennedy). The only reason he's at the Hawks is because Tippet and Franklin ate up a lot of the money that should have been given to him as a pay rise for having a legitimate break out year. I barracked for the Swans in the GF against the chuckers, and it's a little bit disheartening to see so much disrespect between two teams sharing a great rivalry.

Regardless, I came to ask a question; do you all feel as though Franklin will be the one who puts us to the sword? It'll be more likely Tippett - big contested marks are hurting us these days and that's one thing Buddy has always been useless at. I'm betting on 6 goals to Tippett, 1.4 to Franklin.

Not many have turned on Mitchell. It's just chatter. As the first 6 weeks this year showed, we need to bat very deep in the midfield and therefore can't be paying elite dollars to any single midfielder. Key Position Forwards are a different thing, given their rarity. Even without the Tippett and Franklin contracts, our history shows we've never paid huge dollars for mids.

And it will be our midfield that puts yours to the sword on Friday. The forwards will simply be beneficiaries. But if Gibson stands Franklin and is as lazy as he was last match, Franklin will kick 12.

Mitchell is a clearance beast and knows how to find the footy, but even leaving Franklin and Tippett out of it, the reality is we had Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, Mitchell, Heeney and Mills and we couldn't keep all of them. Whether it was a mistake not freeing up enough salary cap space to keep Mitchell, only time will tell. Opinion on our board has been divided on that front.

Buddy's form against the Hawks has been patchy since he crossed over, IIRC he's gone goalless in one game and kicked something like 2.7 in another. Tippett could expose you guys down back but according to some he's a soft former basketballer so I wouldn't worry too much ;)

Btw I respect the Hawks but I don't have to be nice to you on our board :p

With the injury report being released, it would appear Cunningham will be replaced by either Florent or Jack - given Robinson is out with a broken jaw and McVeigh will be back after the bye.

You'd have to lean towards Florent as Jack sounds like he might start back in the NEAFL. Fox might also be a possibility. Dawson didn't play at all last week so I imagine he's not in the running.

We haven't turned on Mitchell. I for one rate the hell out of him and he's one of the gun midfielders in the competition. Was last year, still is this year. But he's the same player, which means some of the things we critiqued him for aren't limited just to his time at the Hawks. There's long been talk of him being a plodder, not doing much with his stats etc so if finding flaws in a player is turning on him then we've turned on every Swan whose ever worn the jumper because nobody is perfect.
As for the disrespect overshadowing a great rivalry, your mob can wear that. It was Hawthorn (along with Eddie & co) who cried all the way to the AFL when we completely-legally obtained Buddy, and it was Hawthorn who were partly responsible for the systemic harassing of one of our clubs greatest champions when it was a hard time for him. It was then our supporters who stood up in support and praise of one of your clubs greatest champions Roughead when he was having a hard time. So yes, it is a shame that there's such animosity between the two best clubs of the last five years or so, but I imagine your fellow Hawks fans would be closer to the source.

Please no K Jack this week, let him build fitness and find form in ressies. Don't get me wrong if 100% fit he's in our best 22, but there is no rush to play him.

Florent or Dawson for Cunningham.

Who said they are ordinary? You did not me. Their disposal is not flash but still over 60% which is just below par but they get a lot of ball which somewhat makes up for it. Early in the season when they weren't getting ball it became obvious though.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair point sorry

Please no K Jack this week, let him build fitness and find form in ressies. Don't get me wrong if 100% fit he's in our best 22, but there is no rush to play him.

Florent or Dawson for Cunningham.
Harry out for 6 weeks. Dawson didn't play last week...come on down Ollie!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back