Unofficial Preview Early thoughts vs Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pray tell. Which games in the NEAFL was he "poor" in? Have you ever played the game? The whole selection of teams are conspiracies - "an action of plotting". You are right I don't know what is going on at the selection table. Whatever it is there have been some atrocious decisions. Start with last years GF. Then Jack this year. Apparently played with a worsening injury without a proper pre-season. While Newman and Dawson were presumably finding form in the NEAFL. Then McVeigh against North. Played without ANY pre-season. Mate when you have lived as long as me, faith in anything is a rare and fading commodity. In football club selection committees? You are having a laugh right? Selections are judged by results and we have a committee and a coach that contributed to the losing of a GF. So no free passes there much less faith.
I've seen the two games played in Sydney and the one in Canberra and I thought he was ordinary at best and certainly not the dynamic player we saw last year and no I have never played the game. I am a middle aged woman, born and raised in Sydney and not many males let alone females played the game around here when I was young, I make my comments on what I have seen this year and I don't feel Aliir is half the player currently that he was last season.
I agree with you about some atrocious selections in last years GF and the early part of this season (I agree with everyone else about the early Newman decision) but if these atrocious selections had come off, this wouldn't be a discussion. The point I'm trying to make is that yes, we don't agree with all the selection decisions but we also don't have all the facts and to say (as I feel from your posts you think) that the likes of Longmire and co are conspiring against Aliir is, to my mind anyway, ridiculous.
To tell you the truth if any player has a right to feel unloved after all the injuries and shocking play from the backline earlier this season, it's Talia. I think he's performed well in the games I've seen and I thought he was at least deserving of a run, so I'm thinking he's the one who's papers are marked.

Me too. I have a general rule to not refer to people by their nicknames unless I know them personally, and that is X 100 if the nickname is "Poppy". Makes my toes curl every time I hear it.

"Stevie J" is undoubtedly the worst AFL-concocted nickname of all time to me. I believe it was Robert Walls who started calling him that one day on Channel 10 and now every f***ing media member goes with it. It's almost too cringeworthy to speak of.

It's like i've been saying - doesn't matter how we play him, we just need to play him. He is the silkiest player on our list and he's in the reserves. That's just not right. Horse needs to make it work
Even just put him on the wing and let him feed off the backline. Do something!

How many reserves games have you actually watched? Dominated the NEAFL??? Really??? I have seen three reserves games lives this year featuring Aliir and he was poor in ALL of them!
Do you really think Longmire and Shaw are conspiring to keep Aliir out of seniors? Do you really think that our coaching panel purposefully weakens our senior team because they have a personal dislike for a particular player? And if Longmire dislikes Aliir so much, why was he given a contract extention? Surely that would have been the time to move him on if Longmire hated him so much!
Truth is none of us keyboard warriors know what's going on in the inner sanctum of the club, so whilst we can all wish for this player or that player to be in seniors, or think that certain players must be losing confidence or getting downhearted or that they are being treated poorly, in reality we have to put our faith in the coaching staff cause we don't have a say in it!
Bring back the sub as an additional player!

Even just put him on the wing and let him feed off the backline. Do something!

He needs to earn it first. Make a case like Newman did in the reserves. I didn't see AA's game last week, but I wasn't impressed at all. That is me being very honest.

I've got a feeling jacks injury is a bit more serious than mentioned .

It's unfortunate for him personally, but it is no surprise we've played better once we have stopped gifting players games. I feel for Jack but the way he's always played was never going to transfer into playing until he was 35+. We should be thankful for what he has given us, and I'd be happy if he provides leadership off the field whilst helping the young kids develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's unfortunate for him personally, but it is no surprise we've played better once we have stopped gifting players games. I feel for Jack but the way he's always played was never going to transfer into playing until he was 35+. We should be thankful for what he has given us, and I'd be happy if he provides leadership off the field whilst helping the young kids develop.

You really think Jack was being gifted games earlier in the season?

After the first couple of poor games, yes. No way should he have played the match before he was injured on form as it was. He wasn't alone there were a few in that first 6 games that were lucky to get games.

He needs to earn it first. Make a case like Newman did in the reserves. I didn't see AA's game last week, but I wasn't impressed at all. That is me being very honest.
I don't know how you can be impressed or unimpressed with his game last week if you didn't see it. You shouldn't have a ******* opinion on something you have absolutely no knowledge of. If you had seen the game I doubt you would have been impressed anyway as it seems you can be unimpressed not even seeing him play. Socrates would have much fun with that logic.

I did see the game and Aliir was impassable and kicked a goal. He managed to get 21 disposals in a back line that let through 5 goals and only saw 25% of the play. Others were good back there too. Marsh had a very ordinary day. But the stars were: Ollie Florent, Shaun Edwards (must meet his parents and enquire about the spelling of Sean, they must have gone to school with my mate Shaun Fitzgerald's parents), Sam Fisher, BJ, Robby Fox, Darcy Cameron & Aliir Aliir.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

And yet you were advocating playing Edwards. I would say they played Jack reluctantly out of necessity.

To inject some pace yes, and Edwards had been doing well in the NEAFL at the time. Jack was lucky to be playing at the time, and I'm actually reasonably okay with him not playing for a while. He needs a month in the NEAFL. Earn his spot.

I don't know how you can be impressed or unimpressed with his game last week if you didn't see it. You shouldn't have a ******* opinion on something you have absolutely no knowledge of. If you had seen the game I doubt you would have been impressed anyway as it seems you can be unimpressed not even seeing him play. Socrates would have much fun with that logic.

I did see the game and Aliir was impassable and kicked a goal. He managed to get 21 disposals in a back line that let through 5 goals and only saw 25% of the play. Others were good back there too. Marsh had a very ordinary day. But the stars were: Ollie Florent, Shaun Edwards (must meet his parents and enquire about the spelling of Sean, they must have gone to school with my mate Shaun Fitzgerald's parents), Sam Fisher, BJ, Robby Fox, Darcy Cameron & Aliir Aliir.

I wasn't impressed with the game before last week. I saw that game. I was out last week, had a number of things going on last weekend, was lucky to see our game on saturday, was literally the only game I was able to watch live. I have been able to see a couple of games from the weekend this week though.

And yet you were advocating playing Edwards. I would say they played Jack reluctantly out of necessity.

What's wrong with Edwards? Has every tool in the shed and came to Sydney to put it together, an early taste may have got it through his head it's all about defensive accountability

Would imagine that most Swans fans get behind him?

Yes of course he was. With so many out I suppose they thought there was no choice. But there's always a choice. He was obviously not right, was dreadful and lasted 5 games. After rounds 1 & 2 he was pretty ordinary. In the same timeframe Aliir has one bad game and is sent to purgatory. Jack played round 1 with no preseason to speak of.

You don't think that is being gifted games? If you have a reputation and a track record at the Swans you get a bit, maybe a lot, of leeway. Goodes should have retired the year before he did. Macca etc play in GF's straight from the injury list. Reason we have lost two GF in three years I reckon. We would probably still have lost 2014 whether we played injured players or not but we still played them and it does effect the other player's psyche when they see dome getting preferential treatment.
Bruce makes your toes curl? Delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with Edwards? Has every tool in the shed and came to Sydney to put it together, an early taste may have got it through his head it's all about defensive accountability

Would imagine that most Swans fans get behind him?

I'm behind every Swans player. But advocating the selection of a player who doesn't give second efforts, is slow defensively, and is reluctant to put his head over the ball over a player who epitomises all that is selfless in football and describing him as having been "gifted" games is simply ridiculous.

Yes of course he was. With so many out I suppose they thought there was no choice. But there's always a choice. He was obviously not right, was dreadful and lasted 5 games. After rounds 1 & 2 he was pretty ordinary. In the same timeframe Aliir has one bad game and is sent to purgatory. Jack played round 1 with no preseason to speak of.

You don't think that is being gifted games? If you have a reputation and a track record at the Swans you get a bit, maybe a lot, of leeway. Goodes should have retired the year before he did. Macca etc play in GF's straight from the injury list. Reason we have lost two GF in three years I reckon. We would probably still have lost 2014 whether we played injured players or not but we still played them and it does effect the other player's psyche when they see dome getting preferential treatment.

That's not being gifted games. That's sacrificing your own body and reputation for the sake of helping a ridiculously inexperienced side get through a horrible injury period. That's typically selfless. Aliir didn't have a decent pre season. He's not in purgatory. He's getting fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back