Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not so much the average talent Hine's pulled in over the years, but more so how unbalanced he has left this team, so we're basically fielding 12-13 midfielders each week, many of them who are the exact same type, some defenders and very few forwards. He's drafted three key position players in the national draft since 2006 - Moore, McLarty and Gault; that's key forwards AND defenders. Pathetic really.

I think he's only had two big hits since 2008 when he selected Beams and Sidebottom - they are Grundy (Pick 18) and Fasolo (Pick 45); everything else is either a slight pass or a failure. You might say Darcy Moore but he was dished up as a F/S anyway, and Luke Ball obviously had several years of experience already anyway.

IF he been so bad for 10 Years. Why has he kept his Job?

I do agree his Drafting not been Flash but not been Terrible Either. The big problem as you said the Team is Badly Unbalanced.

His Trading been better then his Drafting

It's not so much the average talent Hine's pulled in over the years, but more so how unbalanced he has left this team, so we're basically fielding 12-13 midfielders each week, many of them who are the exact same type, some defenders and very few forwards. He's drafted three key position players in the national draft since 2006 - Moore, McLarty and Gault; that's key forwards AND defenders. Pathetic really.

I think he's only had two big hits since 2008 when he selected Beams and Sidebottom - they are Grundy (Pick 18) and Fasolo (Pick 45); everything else is either a slight pass or a failure. You might say Darcy Moore but he was dished up as a F/S anyway, and Luke Ball obviously had several years of experience already anyway.

Couldn't do both - ie build a great midfield and fwd line at the same time.

Adel have a great FWD line. But stop SLOAN and that greatly reduces their ability to get the ball fwd, as they have very little depth in the midfield ( that's why they wanted, Gibbs ).
I'm very happy we have built a strong midfield as the priority. We can now focus on the FWD line with the confidence that plenty of ball will get fwd with our strong midfield.

I would rather lose a testicle than listen to Phil Collins.
You may only have little use for it, I'd be prepared for a lot more than that price to give it up.

;)

(Jokes)

Don't agree we have been poor drafting, we like every side
(Except AFL giants;)) have basically 1 pick per 18 picks.
It's not that simple in my view.

And for all that we have a super ruck, full of mid area talent (in case, all games have big packs everywhere solids rule) and likely some nice junior talent.

Our future will be determined by Grundy Treloar Maynard De Goey Scharenberg Adams and a few others like Aish Broomhead, and who knows Sier
(Well maybe not)
The future beckons

Couldn't do both - ie build a great midfield and fwd line at the same time.

Adel have a great FWD line. But stop SLOAN and that greatly reduces their ability to get the ball fwd, as they have very little depth in the midfield ( that's why they wanted, Gibbs ).
I'm very happy we have built a strong midfield as the priority. We can now focus on the FWD line with the confidence that plenty of ball will get fwd with our strong midfield.
You have to draft to fill all needs, not bolster some and ignore others. Taking Freeman over McCarthy was a massive blunder, Cam might have settled in well and if he decided to bail, we could have cashed in for close to first rounders and have loaded up again. De Goey over Wright could be a big miss if Wright continues his development. I'm a big JDG advocate but would sacrifice him for Wright or Lever any day, or Ramsay for Membrey, or Aish for Adams.

Derek has got a few right, but got plenty wrong. Its a tough caper, but these guys make or break their reputation on who they do and dont pick.

His best moments have obviously been Pendles, Beams, Reid, Thomas (early pick), Grundy (no brainer), Goldsack and lesser knowns like Phillips & Smith... but here is a list of some of the talent he has missed on...

Took Ryan Cook and Danny Stanley... ahead of Andrew Swallow, Bernie Vince and Sam Gilbert
Took Nathan Brown... ahead of Jack Riewoldt & James Frawley
Took Chris Dawes... ahead of Goldstein & Tippett
Took Brad Dick... ahead of Robbie Gray (ouch)
Cameron Wood... instead of Robbie Tarrant, Alex Rance or Harry Taylor
J Mac (RIP)... ahead of Jack Steven & Easton Wood
Toby Thoolen... ahead of Cale Hooker (wow)
Daniel Farmer... ahead of Jarryd Lyons, Paul Puopolo and Claye Beams (why?)
Jarrad Blight & Luke Rounds... ahead of Michael Walters
Jackson Paine… ahead of Lachie Neale & Tory Dickson
Shaz and Nathan Freeman ahead of Patrick Cripps & Zach Merrett
not only that
goldstein deadset monty to be a great player, caleb daniels best player in the 2015 championships perfect fit as a crumbing forward
my feeling s on Dawes is no Dawes no flag in 2010 watch the reply ,star until he broke his knuckle ,dead set shame took away his great hands on the lead.he was never the same after that.you under rate Brad dick imo apart from injury had it all. wouldnt say gilbert and swallow are that much ahead either of stanley , no right side cost the saints 2 flags, swallow always overrated .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not only that
goldstein deadset monty to be a great player, caleb daniels best player in the 2015 championships perfect fit as a crumbing forward
my feeling s on Dawes is no Dawes no flag in 2010 watch the reply ,star until he broke his knuckle ,dead set shame took away his great hands on the lead.he was never the same after that.you under rate Brad dick imo apart from injury had it all. wouldnt say gilbert and swallow are that much ahead either of stanley , no right side cost the saints 2 flags, swallow always overrated .

Swallow is never underrated by me

I know it wasn't the intention, but I find the thread title and subsequent OP as disrespectful as the suggestion that Buckley was the real mastermind behind the forward press! I think suggesting that Taylor was a good complimentary staff member to our list management team may have been a more accurate summation of his impact.

You have to draft to fill all needs, not bolster some and ignore others. Taking Freeman over McCarthy was a massive blunder, Cam might have settled in well and if he decided to bail, we could have cashed in for close to first rounders and have loaded up again. De Goey over Wright could be a big miss if Wright continues his development. I'm a big JDG advocate but would sacrifice him for Wright or Lever any day, or Ramsay for Membrey, or Aish for Adams.

Midfield was the PRIORITY, and rightly so.
Look at ADEL - poor midfield and despite great fwds, they are very vulnerable.

We needed OUTSIDE speed that's why we picked FREEMAN.
We needed inside GRUNT that's why we recruited JDG.
So I have to disagree with both points on Mcarthy and Wright, given the circumstances at the time.

But perfect recruiting is always possible with HINDSIGHT.
That said trading Membrey, for Ramsey or Aish would be great, but doubt Saints would bite.

Might watch that later when the wife falls asleep.
Such a great great great movie.

One of cinemas best ever dialogue pieces in "you're a funny guy."

De Niro was my BOG in that movie
Jimmy would never be made.
Irish background.
You had to Sicilian going back.
Real greasball stuff.

That summed up in the movie why Jimmy couldn't be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back