Public Transport stories

Remove this Banner Ad

dating someone

tenor.gif

On the rare occasions I have had to catch a tram to an outer suburb of Melbourne, I have regularly seen people getting onto (and off) the trams without touching their myki on (or off). This has been when the tram was well and truly outside the free travel zone. Are these dozens of people I have witnessed taking a chance they won't encounter a ticket inspector or are there other reasons you don't need to touch on?

On the rare occasions I have had to catch a tram to an outer suburb of Melbourne, I have regularly seen people getting onto (and off) the trams without touching their myki on (or off). This has been when the tram was well and truly outside the free travel zone. Are these dozens of people I have witnessed taking a chance they won't encounter a ticket inspector or are there other reasons you don't need to touch on?
Some have active passes on them so they don't bother. Although the rule is still touch on and off. The ticket inspectors reader still sees the pass on it.

On trams you only have to touch off if your trip is in Z2. It gives me the ****s when people hold up everyone else getting off when they touch off when they don't have to.

Some have active passes on them so they don't bother. Although the rule is still touch on and off. The ticket inspectors reader still sees the pass on it.

On trams you only have to touch off if your trip is in Z2. It gives me the ****s when people hold up everyone else getting off when they touch off when they don't have to.
Agreed. There are a ridiculous number of people that clearly have no idea how Myki works.

I feel like I'm forever informing people that you don't need to touch off.

So how are you supposed to know when you are in a zone 2?
If you do not touch off when exiting a tram, what happens when you want to board a train later that day? Will your card still be accepted when you try to go through the turnstiles at Southern Cross?

Caught a slightly later train the other day. I'm talking 9am, so still a businessy crowd and busy train rather than the 10am onwards empty trains patronised single mums and delinquents.

One bloke who looked about 40-50 on a mobility scooter and another bloke who looked about 40 but said that he was 26. Drugs are bad mmkay. Topic of conversation was drug dealing and how to 'buy 8-balls for 300 and split 'em up and sell 'em for 500 aye'. Don't change, Perth.

So how are you supposed to know when you are in a zone 2?
If you do not touch off when exiting a tram, what happens when you want to board a train later that day? Will your card still be accepted when you try to go through the turnstiles at Southern Cross?
The maps have the zone info on them. Even then its only the outer sections of the 75, 86 and 109 that venture into Z2( technally Z1 or Z3)

The card will still be accepted if you get on another tram, train, bus.
When you touch on it creates a 2hr product. When you touch on another mode it forces a touch off and touches on again. A deafult fare. The difference is that the tram network is entirely in Z1. So it charges a 2hr Z1 fare that stays active for 2 hours like a normal ticket.
It wont charge if it sees an already active pass, 2hr ticket or youve reached the day cap that covers the relevant zone.

Catching the train back to Frankston after the footy....i think I seen it all
The best was this guy who got on the train and hanged a slash on the seat in front of everyone then got off at the next station.
Watching people get on at each train stop after and then sitting in it was something

Has anyone ever been able to figure out why there are always twice as many Glen Waverley trains (often half empty) when 10x the people are waiting for a Belgrave or Lilydale on a full platform?

It's always been one of the great mysteries to me...

Last edited:
Has anyone ever been able to figure out why there are always twice as many Glen Waverley trains (often half empty) when 10x the people are waiting for a Belgrave or Lilydale on a full platform?

The reasoning from what Im told is because trains to ringwood are every 10 mins and that covers it.
Its the same for pakenham/cranbourne.

The reasoning from what Im told is because trains to ringwood are every 10 mins and that covers it.
Its the same for pakenham/cranbourne.
Yet anyone who travels those lines (especially after a game) will tell you it is far from sufficient (especially as Ringwood services two very busy lines). No doubt Pakenham and Cranbourne are the same.

Meanwhile those near empty Glen Waverley's keep rolling by bewildered passengers.

Yet anyone who travels those lines (especially after a game) will tell you it is far from sufficient (especially as Ringwood services two very busy lines). No doubt Pakenham and Cranbourne are the same.

Meanwhile those near empty Glen Waverley's keep rolling by bewildered passengers.
I agree with that. 10 min gaps don't move the crowd quickly enough.
After night games they have about 3 trains in succession which works a little better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah not sure on the logic of running half empty trains every 10 minutes vs over full trains halfway to a destination every 10 minutes but thats PTV logic for you

I left my handbag (which had a very large amount of cash inside it) on a bus en route to the Port game last week, but unexpectedly got it back less than 24 hours (and several phone calls) later!
I wish I had a way to thank the lovely person who handed it in , but there are certainly some honest/good people out there

Last edited:
I left my handbag (which had a very large amount of cash inside it) on a bus en route to the Port game last week, but unexpectedly got back less than 24 hours (and several phone calls) later!
I wish I had a way to thank the lovely person who handed it in , but there are certainly some honest/good people out there
Thank goodness someone honest found it, you must have been panicked.

Thank goodness someone honest found it, you must have been panicked.
Yeah I was so grateful/relieved!
That was the first time I have ever left something on a bus, but it's hopefully also the last time!

Just one last thing concerning myki. At Southern Cross they have electronic turnstiles, or whatever you want to call them, so it's almost impossible to go in or out without swiping your card. Let's say I touched on at Southern Cross, then travelled to a random Melbourne suburb and then exited the station without touching off. Later that day I board a train at the same station I exited to go back to Southern Cross but do not touch on. When I arrive back at Southern Cross, would my card still be classified as Touched On, because I have not yet touched off?

Just one last thing concerning myki. At Southern Cross they have electronic turnstiles, or whatever you want to call them, so it's almost impossible to go in or out without swiping your card. Let's say I touched on at Southern Cross, then travelled to a random Melbourne suburb and then exited the station without touching off. Later that day I board a train at the same station I exited to go back to Southern Cross but do not touch on. When I arrive back at Southern Cross, would my card still be classified as Touched On, because I have not yet touched off?
used to time out after a couple of hours, not sure if they have changed that
a year or two ago with one of the massive morning delays by the time we got into the loop and got off the train most of our tickets had expired, took about 3 hours to get in from memory, they had to just open all the gates and wave everyone through

Got caught in the city loop the other day when Metro had a computer fault. Stuck between Parliament and Richmond for about 2 hours. An hour into this some dude starts pacing up and down the carriage carrying on about needing to piss and have a smoke. He calls the emergency line and they tell him to go between the carriages. Old mate responds with "im not a dog! f*** you c***!" and tries to open the emergency exit on every door before getting the last one to open and hopping out of the train.

Truth be told it was a s**t situation to be in but everyone except for the above mentioned were super calm and respectful, which honestly surprised me.

Got caught in the city loop the other day when Metro had a computer fault. Stuck between Parliament and Richmond for about 2 hours. An hour into this some dude starts pacing up and down the carriage carrying on about needing to piss and have a smoke. He calls the emergency line and they tell him to go between the carriages. Old mate responds with "im not a dog! f*** you c***!" and tries to open the emergency exit on every door before getting the last one to open and hopping out of the train.

Truth be told it was a s**t situation to be in but everyone except for the above mentioned were super calm and respectful, which honestly surprised me.

jesus, serious?

I think I would struggle with that - I get tiny bits of claustrophobia going through the city loop normally but am fine knowing it wont last long

were you stuck in the actual tunnel?

jesus, serious?

I think I would struggle with that - I get tiny bits of claustrophobia going through the city loop normally but am fine knowing it wont last long

were you stuck in the actual tunnel?
Yeah in the actual tunnel, didn't really know exactly where but after we finally started moving again we'd been sitting about 200m from the end of the tunnel towards Richmond station. I think it was a bit easier as they were giving us updates every 5-10 mins over the speaker and the train wasn't all that packed. Left work at 3.45pm that night and got home at 6.40.

Yeah in the actual tunnel, didn't really know exactly where but after we finally started moving again we'd been sitting about 200m from the end of the tunnel towards Richmond station. I think it was a bit easier as they were giving us updates every 5-10 mins over the speaker and the train wasn't all that packed. Left work at 3.45pm that night and got home at 6.40.
Imagine if you were in a sardine can

Wish we had bans for music being played through speakers on trains. Have these loud birches playing Eminem swearing having a speakerphone conversation telling everyone they're a lesbo and swigging goon. All at 3pm Friday.
Absolute classic.

The best of public transport in one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back