No Oppo Supporters 2017 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean by the NRL analogy, but I think the scenarios are different. Logically, rather emotionally, I think the Brownlow should have been given to Cotchin/Mitchell.

The Storm performed in the final game of the year each of their premiership years, won the game and were subsequently disqualified. But to have given the team they defeated the premiership when they lost the game (even against the team that was disqualified in the end) would have rung very hollow.

In Watson's case, he ended up being disqualified from the competition just like many other players are disqualified (due to suspension, think Paddy Dangerfield or Corey McKernan). McKernan ended up with the most votes, but didn't win the medal because he did not follow the rules of the medal (Hird/Voss did). Dangerfield may do the same this year. Watson is in the same category for me. He got the most votes, but has since been ruled out. It should go to the person (or people) who ran 2nd and did follow the rules set out for the Brownlow.

People just cant fathom the idea of an Australian drug cheat, so come up with ridiculous ideas as vacating the medal, when there are rules to handle just this sort of thing.

Reckon some on here also hold that lance Armstrong was a good bloke.

Really?
One guy took dodgy supplements with his team mates because he trusted his coach

One guy was a megalomaniac that was directly responsible for rorting billions, making 10 years of cylcing history redundant, building a wellbeing empire on lies, ruining dozens of careers, abusing people to cover his lies and he still refuses to take responsibility

They give medals retrospectively in the Olympics. Passing on the Brownlow makes sense.

But I don't think any player who wins that way will exactly write an autobiography about their 'awesome' Brownlow year.

I don't think Cotchin or Mitchell have ever repeatedly injected banned substances, pressured their younger teammates into doing the same, repeatedly lied about it to investigators, then refused to admit any wrongdoing. Happy for them to have the medal

I don't think Cotchin or Mitchell have ever repeatedly injected banned substances, pressured their younger teammates into doing the same, repeatedly lied about it to investigators, then refused to admit any wrongdoing. Happy for them to have the medal
Wasn't intentional.

He accidentally drove to an offsite location to receive legitimate injections the back room of a beauty salon and was told not to tell anyone about it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I like Jobe and wish him well.

I just can't help but continue to feel that across the board there has never been full ownership of what went on. Hird was coach, Jobe was Captain, Tim was his dad and the club's mouthpiece on SEN. The price paid was heavy but that was only because of their collective continual denial that they did anything wrong.

The rules around substances have been clear for years. The responsibility lies with the individual.

Not one single player had a spreadsheet that said "on this date I was administered this substance which the doctor/nurse/witchdoctor told me was this".

Not one.

Not the captain even.

And they know that that is their level of responsibility.

But they keep talking about how they were deceived without even acknowledging their own part in the deception.

I accept that they probably thought the drugs were legal. And I accept it can't really be proven that they weren't.

But no one, least of all Hird, but also Jobe, has ever really owned their responsibility in the thing and that's what continues to s**t me.

And Essendon are talking about welcoming Hirdy back to the fold. And the media are printing his articles.

Now I believe in forgiveness. Some of my Catholic background still lies deep within. But contrition has to come first. And I have never seen the contrition.

All AFL players fill out a form when they receive injections outlining what they were injected with and that they acknowledge it. Jobe has been around long enough to realise he all of a sudden wasn't doing paper work for a particular regular needle. He may have been advised to trust the doctor and been pressured into ignoring it but that does not make him innocent. There is so much evidence to suggest they very clearly knew what was being injected in their body and they chose to ignore it. The 1yr off was too short IMO

Really?
One guy took dodgy supplements with his team mates because he trusted his coach

One guy was a megalomaniac that was directly responsible for rorting billions, making 10 years of cylcing history redundant, building a wellbeing empire on lies, ruining dozens of careers, abusing people to cover his lies and he still refuses to take responsibility

That's an interesting way of spelling 'drug cheat'.

If you choose to hold him to a lower standard because he's a good bloke that's up to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also will point out its an interesting narrative they're trying to push on the main board with the no ASADA/WADA in jobes retirement thread.

Mate I hope i never wrong you

You hold a grudge

Anyways, Jobe *is* essentially branded for life.

So I'm pleased to practice a moment of empathy and send him off in a manner that doesn't resemble kicking a down dog over and over again

or comparing him to Lance Armstrong

Can one of a drug cheat's best mates that played for our club then be a good bloke?

I wasn't being facetious Ted.
I have had dealings on a personal level with Jobe, he really is a genuinely good person.
Unfortunately for him he is going to carry around the drug cheat label for the rest of his life.

I don't know why we bother hating on Essendon for the drug scandal. If it happened at our club, would we accuse all our boys of being s**t blokes and say we're the worst team ever? Highly unlikely. We'd stand by our team. It could just as easily happened at the Swans if we had a few dodgy folks in our upper ranks.

I miss hating Essendon for valid reasons like their fans and their players and the umpires and Kevin Sheedy.

I don't know why we bother hating on Essendon for the drug scandal. If it happened at our club, would we accuse all our boys of being s**t blokes and say we're the worst team ever? Highly unlikely. We'd stand by our team. It could just as easily happened at the Swans if we had a few dodgy folks in our upper ranks.

I miss hating Essendon for valid reasons like their fans and their players and the umpires and Kevin Sheedy.
I hate the Essendon board because they pushed the drug scandal
I hate the Essendon players because they claim innocence despite the knowledge they had and they still chose to act against the rules
I hate their coaches for cheating
I hate their fans for defending their actions
I hate certain members of the media for defending their actions
I hate the way the AFL attempted to cover them up and absolve them of any indiscretion while punishing the Swans for actually following the rules

It wasn't just a couple bad eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back