Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I think we all know what a rat Mike Fitzpatrick is in relation to our club, then you read about comments he's made about James Hird , as revealed by Danny Corcoran in todays Herald-Sun.
Richard Colless has always been in to him for his treatment of the Bloods and I would trust that man on anything he says.

I think we all know what a rat Mike Fitzpatrick is in relation to our club, then you read about comments he's made about James Hird , as revealed by Danny Corcoran in todays Herald-Sun.
Richard Colless has always been in to him for his treatment of the Bloods and I would trust that man on anything he says.
Absolute dog is Filthpatrick.

The ANZ deal alone should be enough to tell everyone where his priorities lie.

And the recent comments on him dissapointed about the Buddy deal are ridiculous.

I don't think people in his position should have a public opinion one way or the other about clubs (legal) transactions or actions. His role is to help be part of the executive that runs the game in an even, fair, unbiased way.

He clearly can't do his job if he holds vendettas against certain clubs, people or has his own financial interests in mind. This isn't a dictatorship.

He needs to be gone & needed to be gone a long long time ago.

It's worth reading the Corcoran piece, he got 4 months and has effectively been banned from footy . He was a straight shooter , but it's an honest piece. Whatever you think of Hird , he doesn't deserve what's happened. Enough was enough and I would love to remember him as the superstar he was. The funny thing is that we could have got him.

Fitzpatrick is as crooked as it gets in the Australian corporate world but I hold very little sympathy for Corcoran in any sense.

Also he needs to STFU with trying to diagnose Hird with PTSD. Allow a professional to do that instead of confidently speculating needlessly in the media. That helps nobody.

Fitzpatrick is as crooked as it gets in the Australian corporate world but I hold very little sympathy for Corcoran in any sense.

Also he needs to STFU with trying to diagnose Hird with PTSD. Allow a professional to do that instead of confidently speculating needlessly in the media. That helps nobody.
Read the story mate. He's admitted he mad a mistake, not like Ian Robson.

It's worth reading the Corcoran piece, he got 4 months and has effectively been banned from footy . He was a straight shooter , but it's an honest piece. Whatever you think of Hird , he doesn't deserve what's happened. Enough was enough and I would love to remember him as the superstar he was. The funny thing is that we could have got him.
Fitzpatrick effectively put a life time ban on two people who had been punished, quite rightly in my view, through the processes of the AFL. So procedural fairness is out the window, double jeopardy in and a piece of steaming excrement imposes his own penalty. Its not proper to speculate on Hird's condition except to wish him well in his recovery and his family compassion at this time. However, the effect on anyone to be told that they are finished for life in any endeavour that they passionately anticipated in, as Hird did, is cruel and unfair beyond belief. We don't really know what happened at Essendon post-doping but if the Essendon mafia headed by little Billy Kelty, a great mate of Demetriou and Fitzpatrick (look up how the pile of steaming excrement got started in financial funds) threw Hird under a bus, the utter despair of a man becomes understandable. Get well champion. You made mistakes but a champion is always a champion.

Fitzpatrick effectively put a life time ban on two people who had been punished, quite rightly in my view, through the processes of the AFL. So procedural fairness is out the window, double jeopardy in and a piece of steaming excrement imposes his own penalty. Its not proper to speculate on Hird's condition except to wish him well in his recovery and his family compassion at this time. However, the effect on anyone to be told that they are finished for life in any endeavour that they passionately anticipated in, as Hird did, is cruel and unfair beyond belief. We don't really know what happened at Essendon post-doping but if the Essendon mafia headed by little Billy Kelty, a great mate of Demetriou and Fitzpatrick (look up how the pile of steaming excrement got started in financial funds) threw Hird under a bus, the utter despair of a man becomes understandable. Get well champion. You made mistakes but a champion is always a champion.
Yep. Look at Duck. He glassed his missus in the face, cut his best mates lunch, arrested for drug & violence issues, has had sexual harrasement claims made against him etc etc.... Somehow, now, after he's apologised a few times, he's been accepted back into the fray. I'm sure he's a changed man now & I think most people can see that. Hird can be in a similar situation in the future. Time heals all wounds kinda thing.

IMO Forgiveness is one of the hardest but also most notable of the human chatacter traits. If you can forgive, and I mean actually forgive (based on realistic acceptance, shared grief & based in reality), you can do most things.

As a society, if we can forgive a bloke that's done the things that Carey has then I think we should be able to see past our own bias, lack of knowledge & understanding & give James some of the same kind of opportunity to be forgiven in time.

Weekly series of best grand finals since 2000.

2012 apparently wasn't good enough to get in the first four picks.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-11/which-was-the-best-grand-final-since-2000
Holy crap. No 2005?? Wtf??

I still get opposition supporters say to me something along the lines of:

"(insert disclaimer about how much they hate sydney, cola, Goodes is a protected species, afl pet crap here) ... but that GF in 2005, when Leo Barry took that mark, was probably one of the best GFs I've ever seen. 2012 was also great to watch as a neutral".

But neither in the top 4?? What a fu**ing joke!!

Holy crap. No 2005?? Wtf??

I still get opposition supporters say to me something along the lines of:

"(insert disclaimer about how much they hate sydney, cola, Goodes is a protected species, afl pet crap here) ... but that GF in 2005, when Leo Barry took that mark, was probably one of the best GFs I've ever seen. 2012 was also great to watch as a neutral".

But neither in the top 4?? What a fu**ing joke!!

I can forgive 2005 not being there, apart from the last 5 seconds it was a pretty s**t game that just happened to be close in my opinion.

But 2012 is my pick for best grand final that I have seen. Adam Curley is a Swans writer too and he picked the Bulldogs.

I can forgive 2005 not being there, apart from the last 5 seconds it was a pretty s**t game that just happened to be close in my opinion.

But 2012 is my pick for best grand final that I have seen. Adam Curley is a Swans writer too and he picked the Bulldogs.

I'm with you on both counts, the omission of 2012 is just bizarre. Maybe I'm biased because we won, but the effort from both sides was tremendous that day and I thought it was a better game to watch than either of the St Kilda grand finals.

I get the fact some people think the 2005 game itself wasn't the same kind of fast action packed type of play as other GFs but taking the whole package into context it was a belter IMO.

Close game. Down to the dying seconds with one of the most memorable GF moments in history (let alone the last 16 years) with the "Leo Barry you STAR!!" mark.

But also the history throughout & after created one of the best modern rivalries IMO.

The style of play built tension & was teetering on the edge between flashy play by the absolute jets of West Coast .vs. the slog of the blue collar Sydney. It wasn't a free-for-all but a game of strategy which could be blown apart in a second either way (but ultimately wasn't).

There was the drought. Bigger than that given as one of the main reasons for the Dogs win making the list. Unlike the dogs, we weren't provided the support of an AFL with greater resources than ever before (thanks to a more national comp). In fact, our drought was broken after we fought for decades after being left in Sydney to die IMO... TV rights anyone? Not in the early 90s. Def in the 00's.

The comments from the AFL (AndyD) also added that layer to the story in 05. The GFs on the list never had a clear like/dislike from the CEO of the AFL as far as I know (well, indirectly based on umpiring in 16 excluded).

05 had that "Interstate" factor. The AFL wants to be national. This was a great example of the progress we'd made as a competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the fact some people think the 2005 game itself wasn't the same kind of fast action packed type of play as other GFs but taking the whole package into context it was a belter IMO.

Close game. Down to the dying seconds with one of the most memorable GF moments in history (let alone the last 16 years) with the "Leo Barry you STAR!!" mark.

But also the history throughout & after created one of the best modern rivalries IMO.

The style of play built tension & was teetering on the edge between flashy play by the absolute jets of West Coast .vs. the slog of the blue collar Sydney. It wasn't a free-for-all but a game of strategy which could be blown apart in a second either way (but ultimately wasn't).

There was the drought. Bigger than that given as one of the main reasons for the Dogs win making the list. Unlike the dogs, we weren't provided the support of an AFL with greater resources than ever before (thanks to a more national comp). In fact, our drought was broken after we fought for decades after being left in Sydney to die IMO... TV rights anyone? Not in the early 90s. Def in the 00's.

The comments from the AFL (AndyD) also added that layer to the story in 05. The GFs on the list never had a clear like/dislike from the CEO of the AFL as far as I know (well, indirectly based on umpiring in 16 excluded).

05 had that "Interstate" factor. The AFL wants to be national. This was a great example of the progress we'd made as a competition.

Oh, absolutely agree with all of that, but was more saying '12 was a better game from a football purist's perspective.

Fitzpatrick is an example of holding power too long, just end up with too much self interest and you become bigger than the role. AFL overall has grown well with fitzpatrick and vlad etc when he was there, but they arent shunted out and stay on years too long then think they can just push around and bully people.

He should f off

I don't know if anyone has seen the new AFL ad channel seven are running with now, but it makes me physically ill. they literally highlight wood's illegal slide to the knees on Hannebery. Ridiculous.

I'm going to watch every swans game on mute this year when I'm not at the SCG.

Jarryd Roughead named captain of Hawthorn...such awesome news! Going to make it so much harder to hate them, he is genuinely one of the good guys in footy.
This.

What a bloody champion. By all accounts he is just one of those great blokes that you meet.

I had lots of respect for him even before this cancer issue. Unlike Mitchell, Hodge or Sewell, he doesn't play the man. He doesn't back away but he competes fairly and with integrity and respect for his opponent. His attitude throughout this horrible ordeal and the way he's kept himself "in life", when it would have been so easy to been downbeat and withdrawn, has added to that impression I already had of him.

He'll be a really really great captain IMO.

Last edited:
This.

What a bloody champion. By all accounts he is just one of those great blokes that you meet.

I had lots of respect for him even before this cancer issue. Unlike Mitchell, Hodge or Sewell, he doesn't play the man. He doesn't back away but he competes fairly and with integrity and respect for his opponent. His attitude throughout this horrible ordeal and the way he's kept himself "in life", when it would have been so easy to been downbeat and withdrawn, has added to that impression I already had of him.

He'll be a really really great captain IMO. Hodge could learn a thing or two about courage off him actually.
You can't say Hodge has no courage, your better than that.

This.

He'll be a really really great captain IMO. Hodge could learn a thing or two about courage off him actually.

you had me until the last line

say what you want about Hodge, but he is bloody courageous

You can't say Hodge has no courage, your better than that.

you had me until the last line

say what you want about Hodge, but he is bloody courageous
Yeah I can see where that was probably a little harsh. Deleted it.

Sure he's done some courageous things... However driving someone's head into a goal post, punching an opponent in the guts off the ball, collecting blokes off the ball when they aren't looking, standing up into someone's jaw with your elbow after the contest is over... all things that show gutlessness and a lack of courage.

He gets talked up too much for his "courage". Standing around as loose man in D with a paddock around you, not accountable to a direct opponent then taking a contested mark against a smaller, lighter opponent isn't courageous either (no matter how much the commentators want it to be).

Same can be said of Selwood. Yes of course there's some courage there - But it's overplayed in the media IMO. Dropping at the knees or ducking into tackles isn't courageous. In fact, to me, it's the opposite. Man up and take on the tackler and beat them if you are brave enough to do it.

Just my opinion.

Yeah I can see where that was probably a little harsh. Deleted it.

Sure he's done some courageous things... However driving someone's head into a goal post, punching an opponent in the guts off the ball, collecting blokes off the ball when they aren't looking, standing up into someone's jaw with your elbow after the contest is over... all things that show gutlessness and a lack of courage.

He gets talked up too much for his "courage". Standing around as loos man in D with a paddock around you, not accountable to a direct opponent then taking a contested mark against a smaller, lighter opponent isn't courageous either (no matter how much the commentators want it to be).

Same can be said of Selwood. Yes of course there's some courage there - But it's overplayed in the media IMO. Dropping at the knees or ducking into tackles isn't courageous. In fact, to me, it's the opposite. Man up and take on the tackler and beat them if you are brave enough to do it.

Just my opinion.
Selwood might drop down, but is as gutsy as anyone going around, he's a leader, not like a McHack.
We also have had Plugger and BBBH, so we can't throw stones. Maybe start again, or try this.
We admire some at Hawthorn and admire what they have done, but we f ing hate them !

Selwood might drop down, but is as gutsy as anyone going around, he's a leader, not like a McHack.
We also have had Plugger and BBBH, so we can't throw stones. Maybe start again, or try this.
We admire some at Hawthorn and admire what they have done, but we f ing hate them !
I did disclaim it with "of course there's some courage there". I didn't say Selwood doesn't do couragous things. I just don't think deliberately seeking high contact (drop knees, duck, wrap opponents arm around face etc) should be praised as courageous & think it is in the media far too often when I'd rather it get called out for what it is. A guy initiating high contact to draw a free as opposed to going in hard for the footy & winning that free legitimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back