No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFL Discussion - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Herald Sun has their so called journo's predictions for 2024 including final 8 , 2 of them Callum Dick and Slobbo Robbo have us not making the 8 ! fair dinkum waste of space that rat

Not making the 8?

Would have to be gutted by injuries for that to happen IMO

Not making the 8?

Would have to be gutted by injuries for that to happen IMO

After the top 2 (Pies/Lions), it's a jam from 3rd to 12th. We'd have to be unlucky to be on the lower side of that, but it's no certainty to make the 8. We NEED to start well and not do what we did last year and leave us that much to do, we may not get as fortunate this season

I do genuinely lol on how much Carlton are being rated though...we barely scraped into the 8 and should have beaten them.

After the top 2 (Pies/Lions), it's a jam from 3rd to 12th. We'd have to be unlucky to be on the lower side of that, but it's no certainty to make the 8. We NEED to start well and not do what we did last year and leave us that much to do, we may not get as fortunate this season

I do genuinely lol on how much Carlton are being rated though...we barely scraped into the 8 and should have beaten them.
I hope the wheels fall of Carlton nice and early so the false praise can finally stop... they're junk

I hope the wheels fall of Carlton nice and early so the false praise can finally stop... they're junk

Everyone is looking at “they made the prelim”…yeah so Port did a few years ago and missed the 8 next 2 years. Sorry I don’t see it with Carlton. We should have beaten then, Melbourne couldn’t kick worse and should have beaten them and then were belted in a prelim.

Everyone is looking at “they made the prelim”…yeah so Port did a few years ago and missed the 8 next 2 years. Sorry I don’t see it with Carlton. We should have beaten then, Melbourne couldn’t kick worse and should have beaten them and then were belted in a prelim.
I think the Vic optimism comes from the fact they had a strong run leading into finals, which I must admit counts for something, but I don't see it either. They just seem like pretenders to me.

I think the Vic optimism comes from the fact they had a strong run leading into finals, which I must admit counts for something, but I don't see it either. They just seem like pretenders to me.

Just not convinced one single bit.

Carlton were belted in the prelim? They kicked the first 5 goals, lost by 16 points.

Carlton were belted in the prelim? They kicked the first 5 goals, lost by 16 points.

The margin flattered them, and lets be real if Melbourne could kick they'd have beaten Carlton by 20plus, worst goalkicking display in a final ever. That's even considering our cooked side almost beat them too

With robust players like Mills, Reid and Armatey on our list, there is absolutely no way we get gutted by injuries.

Freak accident
Write off last year (kinda a freebie this year)
And expected sporadic

I am talking the injury like run we had at the start of this year. All the tall timber pretty much wiped out

The Herald Sun has their so called journo's predictions for 2024 including final 8 , 2 of them Callum Dick and Slobbo Robbo have us not making the 8 ! fair dinkum waste of space that rat
The Fat Drunk also tipped Collingwood to miss the 8 in 2023 so more to be pleased about than pissed about. Most betting agencies have us at about 3rd favourite so he will be a minority.

Last edited:
The Fat Drunk also tipped Collingwood to miss the 8 in 2023 so more to be please about than pissed about. Most betting agencies have us at about 3rd favourite so he will be a minority.
And of course he'll be the one saying, "Gee they're a great club aren't they?" once whichever Swan he's interviewing on his snoozefest of a show hangs up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Carlton will be tough to beat in 2024. If both Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay stay fit then that’s a pretty powerful forward line, with the 2 forwards sharing the last 3 Coleman Medals between them.

St Kilda is my smokey for Top 4. They have been thereabouts for finals the last couple of years, so again if they can stay injury free I reckon they could be in for a good period. Plus I really rate Ross Lyon as a coach as he’s pretty much the only coach to have done anything reasonably successful with Fremantle and the St Kilda teams he coached in the late 00’s were scary good and extremely unlucky to not have got a premiership out of them. He was also an assistant in our premiership team in 05 😀

I believe internally there’s high expectations for the Swans in 2024, but I think a lot relies as it does with most teams on keeping relatively injury free and a bit of luck in close games along the way. My concern is how we go with life after Franklin as I think our other forwards tend to be inconsistent, although we do have a lot of different players that can pop up forward and kick 2-3 goals from time to time. Down back Rampe is getting on in age so will he continue to perform at a high standard or will someone else step up. Tom McCartin is a gun but my concern with him is if he is one head knock away from having to consider his future.

I think Carlton will be tough to beat in 2024. If both Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay stay fit then that’s a pretty powerful forward line, with the 2 forwards sharing the last 3 Coleman Medals between them.

St Kilda is my smokey for Top 4. They have been thereabouts for finals the last couple of years, so again if they can stay injury free I reckon they could be in for a good period. Plus I really rate Ross Lyon as a coach as he’s pretty much the only coach to have done anything reasonably successful with Fremantle and the St Kilda teams he coached in the late 00’s were scary good and extremely unlucky to not have got a premiership out of them. He was also an assistant in our premiership team in 05 😀

I believe internally there’s high expectations for the Swans in 2024, but I think a lot relies as it does with most teams on keeping relatively injury free and a bit of luck in close games along the way. My concern is how we go with life after Franklin as I think our other forwards tend to be inconsistent, although we do have a lot of different players that can pop up forward and kick 2-3 goals from time to time. Down back Rampe is getting on in age so will he continue to perform at a high standard or will someone else step up. Tom McCartin is a gun but my concern with him is if he is one head knock away from having to consider his future.
Really can't believe this

Sad news with Bailey Smith doing an ACL at training , no club is immune from this

Don't Carlton have one of the softest draws next year? I'm tipping them to play finals.

I don't see Collingwood as being so much better than the rest, especially not in terms of talent on their list. I think they are just at the sweet spot of being experienced, well coached and have some momentum and synergy happening. Who knows whether it's sustainable. They're not like the Lions 2001-2003. And nor are the Lions 2023-2024, for that matter. In short, I think we're in with as much of a shot as any but competing with something like 12 teams to win the flag. I hope for top 4 and will be very disappointed if we miss finals.

Don't Carlton have one of the softest draws next year? I'm tipping them to play finals.

I don't see Collingwood as being so much better than the rest, especially not in terms of talent on their list. I think they are just at the sweet spot of being experienced, well coached and have some momentum and synergy happening. Who knows whether it's sustainable. They're not like the Lions 2001-2003. And nor are the Lions 2023-2024, for that matter. In short, I think we're in with as much of a shot as any but competing with something like 12 teams to win the flag. I hope for top 4 and will be very disappointed if we miss finals.
Sweet spot, Well coached????
more like a Good run with injuries. Just like the Swans in 2022

Injuries play a HUGE part in any teams success

Honestly, where is this going to end? As bad as I feel for Brayshaw, imo, Maynard made a legitimate attempt to smother the ball. Jumping up as he did was the only way he could possibly have smothered it. Whilst in the air he has zero control over where his body is going to end up, so how is he supposed to then, "show a duty of care"?
Take out tackling, take out jumping in the air, take out collisions and take out hitting someone in the head whilst taking a mark.
Unfortunately, this is where our great game is headed.

Honestly, where is this going to end? As bad as I feel for Brayshaw, imo, Maynard made a legitimate attempt to smother the ball. Jumping up as he did was the only way he could possibly have smothered it. Whilst in the air he has zero control over where his body is going to end up, so how is he supposed to then, "show a duty of care"?
Take out tackling, take out jumping in the air, take out collisions and take out hitting someone in the head whilst taking a mark.
Unfortunately, this is where our great game is headed.

Fully support the idea of the rule change but want to see the wording. I strongly suspect the ‘smother attempt“ was not realistic and designed to take Brayshaw out.

Those lists shouldn't be taken seriously.

Everyone just picks a slight variance on the previous season with a couple of teams moving up a bit and couple moving down.

When we know that there will be teams that far exceed expectations and some that dramatically underperform.

There is every chance someone from the 2023 bottom 6 plays in a preliminary final and almost definitely a team from outside the 8 will.

You only have to look at the 2023 AFL.com predictor to see how clueless most journalists really are. Nearly all of them had Collingwood dropping off. All except one had Geelong in the top 3, and the rebel had them finishing 5th.

Yet they will all be there during the season next year delivering sermons to the masses about why some teams are good and others aren't, like they knew it was going to happen all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back