No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFL Discussion - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to prove that Top 10 picks are that much more special than the next 10, or the next 10 etc.

Look at this years top 5-10….

Those picks should be worth exponentially more.

People keep saying it's ridiculous to have 27 or 29 picks in Round 1. Why? If someone can give me an answer that isn't based off "the vibe", that'd be great.

Also it gets talked about as if this is a regular occurrence. It isn't, we've just got knee jerk reactions to it. We had a perfect storm of F/S, FA compo, and priority picks this year, in addition to the Northern Academy guys. Change the FA compo and priority picks to start of 2nd round if some people can't handle their sacred 1st round getting impacted. Leaving aside the joke compo for McKay.

Looking at the prior 5 x 1st rounds:

2022 - 21 picks

2021 - 20 picks

2020 - 26 (including 3 NGA players which is no longer applicable, 2 x FA compo, 1 x GC priority)

2019 - 23 (incl 2 x NGA now N/A, 2 x FA compo)

2018 - 21 picks

But yeah it's all the Northern Academies (or F/S).

There was more picks in night 1 than 2 this year…it’s a horrible look. We won’t have this happen again

Sorry, did I fall asleep and we're in 2026 already? How many AFL games have the top 10 (or anyone else from this years draft) played yet?

Look at the previous drafts then. There is a good reason these are prime picks. Double the top 10, and personally I’d have top 10 being no discount, 10% rest of first round, 20% after first round

There was more picks in night 1 than 2 this year…it’s a horrible look. We won’t have this happen again
So 29 is more than 35, plus another 11 (new) rookie selections on Day 3. Got it.

So, "the vibe", got it.

Last edited:
Look at the previous drafts then. There is a good reason these are prime picks. Double the top 10, and personally I’d have top 10 being no discount, 10% rest of first round, 20% after first round
I have looked at previous drafts. Prior to Covid impacted years, you can look at 18 and 19 as being strong early selections versus later. 2017 not so much, and I'd argue that the Top 10 of 2016 isn't any better than the 10-20.

OK, re: discount adjustment. I floated that as a simpler compromise. But you've said plenty more like having a pick in the next 9, exponentially increasing the points for Top 10 picks, which I'm responding to.

I have looked at previous drafts. Prior to Covid impacted years, you can look at 18 and 19 as being strong early selections versus later. 2017 not so much, and I'd argue that the Top 10 of 2016 isn't any better than the 10-20.

OK, re: discount adjustment. I floated that as a simpler compromise. But you've said plenty more like having a pick in the next 9, exponentially increasing the points for Top 10 picks, which I'm responding to.

They need to do both. The pick within 9 is a perfect compromise really. But they NEED to fix the curve badly

Considering the 20% already doesn't apply after the first round as it stands and there are also already limits on how many academy players a club can draft based on where they finish, you don't seem to be across the actual rules and are just basing everything on the "vibe".

Considering the 20% already doesn't apply after the first round as it stands and there are also already limits on how many academy players a club can draft based on where they finish, you don't seem to be across the actual rules and are just basing everything on the "vibe".

The 20% won’t apply after this year anyway, it won’t really be that big a deal. Do like the 9 pick idea and think that is a great compromise to everyone. The AFL don’t want a 29 pick first round or whatever it was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd have to prove that Top 10 picks are that much more special than the next 10, or the next 10 etc.
You couldn't prove it because sometimes they are, sometimes not.
Use a hyperbolic distribution starting at 6,000 out to a fixed end point. 20% discount for Northern Academies. 10% for NGAs provided an expenditure bar is reached the previous year. Two (maybe 3) picks max.
No more father son.

Who gives a crap about "the look"? Take Norths priority picks out and how much better does it look then?
All clubs. It shouldn’t be about trying to get players on the cheap.
No, it should be about growing the talent pool and drastically cutting back the abilities of the northern academies to draft their local kids will have a terrible flow on effect.

Last edited:
The Worst Australian encourages a rare sort of parochialism.

That level of coverage is almost abusive.

Hope the Weasels tell the paper to gagf and there will be no more Reid interviews given.
West Coast would be absolutely loving it. For a club that just had one of the most diabolical seasons in the competition's history, the vibes around them are through the roof right now.

It's kinda gross, but it's on the West Australian to be better (hahahahaha)

Horse is going home to Corowa /Rutherglen on the 20th to take the last session before Xmas and do a Q and A . The famous club on the Murray went into recess this season due to floods destroying facilities and the ex coach Peter German deserting .
They will be up and away again and have needed to start at the bottom and will find it tough against Albury/Yarrawonga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back