No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFL Discussion - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft review to be discussed at a meeting between the AFL and club general managers of football tomorrow.

EDIT: no mention in article about priority or compensation picks, like NM were gifted...

Last edited:
It’s not Bedford. I don't think you understand just how much and how deep the anger is that we feel the competition is completely driven to serve Victorian interests.

completely agree And I am a Victorian.

I thought my point was clear.
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Draft review to be discussed at a meeting between the AFL and club general managers of football tomorrow.

EDIT: no mention in article about priority or compensation picks, like NM were gifted...
That's because it's an article , not from the top . wow

Seems an overly complicated solution, mandating certain picks be in certain rounds etc.

I just think increasing the points value of higher picks would resolve the whole issue and be fair for everyone. Everyone knows pick 3 isn't worth three picks in the 30s.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems an overly complicated solution, mandating certain picks be in certain rounds etc.

I just think increasing the points value of higher picks would resolve the whole issue and be fair for everyone. Everyone knows pick 3 isn't worth three picks in the 30s.

Either way achieved the same thing don’t mind it in theory would like the actual semantics announced before I’ll comment too much. I do like restricting sides to having their first pick within 9 of the bid that seems a good compromise. So if Brisbane want Ashcroft they have to trade up rather than down

Melbourne clubs getting anxious. There is a threat from the Northern Academies. Need to sway things back in their favour.
Because the last 10 premiers have been
2023: Collingwood
2022: Geelong
2021: Melbourne
2020: Richmond
2019: Richmond
2018: West Coast
2017: Richmond
2016: Western Bulldogs
2015: Hawthorn
2014: Hawthorn

Can you see the threat. Clubs with academies are threatening the competition. Victorian clubs are at a disadvantage. It is clear.

Melbourne clubs getting anxious. There is a threat from the Northern Academies. Need to sway things back in their favour.
Because the last 10 premiers have been
2023: Collingwood
2022: Geelong
2021: Melbourne
2020: Richmond
2019: Richmond
2018: West Coast
2017: Richmond
2016: Western Bulldogs
2015: Hawthorn
2014: Hawthorn

Can you see the threat. Clubs with academies are threatening the competition. Victorian clubs are at a disadvantage. It is clear.
Fun fact! Outside of West Coast's flag the Victorian teams that won the premiership that year were either against non-Vic side or the game wasn't played in Victoria

Whilst it may himder us we can't have a situation of the GC this year where they get two top 10 picks plus two extra first rounders for 50cents in the dollar at most. That hurts the whole competition. It's not your Gudens who were 2nd/3rd round talents going forward its the 1st rounders.

Easiest thing would be to fix the curve which has been horrific since it's introduction. The discount will be halved at most, maybe down to 5% within 5 years or something whatever that is.

Whilst it may himder us we can't have a situation of the GC this year where they get two top 10 picks plus two extra first rounders for 50cents in the dollar at most. That hurts the whole competition. It's not your Gudens who were 2nd/3rd round talents going forward its the 1st rounders.

Easiest thing would be to fix the curve which has been horrific since it's introduction. The discount will be halved at most, maybe down to 5% within 5 years or something whatever that is.
But how many years is that going to happen? If next year and the year after, any of the northern academies are doing what happened with GC this year, then yes time to react, but after one fortunate year when the team that has been raped and pillaged the most wins the talent lottery, I think the reaction is knee jerk.

But how many years is that going to happen? If next year and the year after, any of the northern academies are doing what happened with GC this year, then yes time to react, but after one fortunate year when the team that has been raped and pillaged the most wins the talent lottery, I think the reaction is knee jerk.

GC are projected to have more high selections next year and the year after, so something needs to be done. I like the idea where a selection has to be matched within 9 selections. It's fair, it's transparent. This means GC can't sell pick 4 for junk in the 30's. It means they have to use 4 to match Walter. Fix the curve and you don't need to do this though. Top 10 picks should be worth double.

GC are projected to have more high selections next year and the year after, so something needs to be done. I like the idea where a selection has to be matched within 9 selections. It's fair, it's transparent. This means GC can't sell pick 4 for junk in the 30's. It means they have to use 4 to match Walter. Fix the curve and you don't need to do this though. Top 10 picks should be worth double.
What if a bid comes early and no-one is willing to trade with them on the night (e.g. salty clubs in the required bracket wanting to teach the Northern clubs a lesson).

Adjusting the discount rate or say it applies to only 2 academy picks in a given year, is far simpler. If anything GC and GWS should have a while before any adjustments not in their favour given they have zero possibility of father sons.

Not saying we should get anything adjusted either, but maybe a % adjustment for both F/S and Northern Academy kids in the first round is a compromise. Then watch the Vic clubs erupt about any F/S adjustments.

What if a bid comes early and no-one is willing to trade with them on the night (e.g. salty clubs in the required bracket wanting to teach the Northern clubs a lesson).

Adjusting the discount rate or say it applies to only 2 academy picks in a given year, is far simpler. If anything GC and GWS should have a while before any adjustments not in their favour given they have zero possibility of father sons.

Not saying we should get anything adjusted either, but maybe a % adjustment for both F/S and Northern Academy kids in the first round is a compromise. Then watch the Vic clubs erupt about any F/S adjustments.

You can always flip a future 1 for one this year. Not buying that excuse. If you can’t so be it you miss the player. Should have prepared yourself for it. We can’t have 27 picks in round 1 it’s utterly ridiculous and we all know it.

Fix the curve though that’s where the issue is. Double or even triple the value of top 10 selections.

Not saying tweeks aren't needed, it was after all, an AFL quick fix, I just think all it needs are slight adjustments. The noise and hubbub coming out of the "traditional" states is only because they see the door closing on their favourite feeding ground.
I'd love to see the GCS load up on their local talent

You can always flip a future 1 for one this year. Not buying that excuse. If you can’t so be it you miss the player. Should have prepared yourself for it. We can’t have 27 picks in round 1 it’s utterly ridiculous and we all know it.

Fix the curve though that’s where the issue is. Double or even triple the value of top 10 selections.
People keep saying it's ridiculous to have 27 or 29 picks in Round 1. Why? If someone can give me an answer that isn't based off "the vibe", that'd be great.

Also it gets talked about as if this is a regular occurrence. It isn't, we've just got knee jerk reactions to it. We had a perfect storm of F/S, FA compo, and priority picks this year, in addition to the Northern Academy guys. Change the FA compo and priority picks to start of 2nd round if some people can't handle their sacred 1st round getting impacted. Leaving aside the joke compo for McKay.

Looking at the prior 5 x 1st rounds:

2022 - 21 picks

2021 - 20 picks

2020 - 26 (including 3 NGA players which is no longer applicable, 2 x FA compo, 1 x GC priority)

2019 - 23 (incl 2 x NGA now N/A, 2 x FA compo)

2018 - 21 picks

But yeah it's all the Northern Academies (or F/S).

Not saying tweeks aren't needed, it was after all, an AFL quick fix, I just think all it needs are slight adjustments. The noise and hubbub coming out of the "traditional" states is only because they see the door closing on their favourite feeding ground.
I'd love to see the GCS load up on their local talent

They can do that but you shouldn’t be able to pay junk picks in the 30’s for pick 3. Sorry but that’s not the right system.

Personally fix the curve though double the value of top10 picks. So if there’s a bid at 1, you cop 6000 points not 3,000. Discount reduced to 10%.

They can do that but you shouldn’t be able to pay junk picks in the 30’s for pick 3. Sorry but that’s not the right system.

Personally fix the curve though double the value of top10 picks. So if there’s a bid at 1, you cop 6000 points not 3,000. Discount reduced to 10%.
You'd have to prove that Top 10 picks are that much more special than the next 10, or the next 10 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back