Analysis 2023 Bloods' Performance Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Nuggetz has previously posted this website;

I find the easiest way is just go to the 'Results' section click on MCH and you will get individual player stats and access to their heat map (HM).

I do, but I wanted to post some maps on here sometimes for discussion, I'm just not very good at taking screenshots on my phone and then I have to edit the ruddy shot to put it on here. Where if I had it on the webpage its much easier.

The midfielders heat maps were really interesting. Mills & Gulden were pretty much the same, Parker was freakin everywhere and Rowies was again completely different.

match-120380207-1006126.png

Rowbottom

match-120380207-290778.png

Parker

match-120380207-993905.png

Mills

match-120380207-1013128.png

Gulden

Game Stats (with heat maps) v Hawks

Nuggetz has previously posted this website;

I find the easiest way is just go to the 'Results' section click on MCH and you will get individual player stats and access to their heat map (HM).

Great site for stats.

match-120380207-1006126.png

Rowbottom

match-120380207-290778.png

Parker

match-120380207-993905.png

Mills

match-120380207-1013128.png

Gulden

Game Stats (with heat maps) v Hawks
Here you go Ticky! Cheers for sharing Nuggetz!

Parker took it really seriously when Horse told him to play like a gun.

Should we post swans non game day analysis into this thread?

Centre Bounce Attendance Percentage

Interesting to see Gulden has taken Mills CBA compared to last year. I wonder if it'll continue, this might be a short term trial while it's still early in the season against lower opposition.

I reckon data like CBAs, heat maps and other stats could just go into the autopsy thread after each game, like the coaches votes etc. Up to the mods though

Yea, fair. I was trying to find a general swans game analysis thread. I swear I've seen it somewhere. Think it'll be good for stuff like this where it's something getting discussed at different points in the season (if that makes sense lol).

Chad Warner heat maps...wtf

v Hawks

match-120380207-1012014.png

v Suns

match-120380106-1012014.png

Yea, fair. I was trying to find a general swans game analysis thread. I swear I've seen it somewhere. Think it'll be good for stuff like this where it's something getting discussed at different points in the season (if that makes sense lol).
I made a general analysis thread last year, don't mind making it this, just don't have much to say yet.

I'll probably make it after the Melbourne game with what our upcoming games mean.

I made a general analysis thread last year, don't mind making it this, just don't have much to say yet.

I'll probably make it after the Melbourne game with what our upcoming games mean.
Here is your thread Kapers

Franklin is a detriment to the team atm. We need to change his position.
IMG_20230403_194332.jpg Franklin draws too much of the ball and it absolutely ruins our forward structure. This is NOT a critic on Buddy, he's doing his best, but he's not dominate enough to be our sole focus.

We either have to even out the inside 50 targets, or get him out of the 50. The amount of times I watched the ball float towards buddy only to be marked or spoiled by May/Lever was infuriating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are the mids so unchangeable that the only solution is to move Buddy, can't they be smarter
Clarkson used to say the same thing though, that it's hard not to want to get it to Buddy.

But yes it seems that the mids really are so unchangeable. We can't do anything about them. We can do something about Buddy.

Why are the mids so unchangeable that the only solution is to move Buddy, can't they be smarter
Because a 2 gamer 20 year old coming off injury isn't an answer to our midfield switching off or getting bullied. It would only make it worse

Midfield discussions.

David King thinks we need to get tougher and focus on contested possessions

Gerard Healy & Luke Hodge think we might need a bigger bodied mid in there for big games (skip to about the 10 min mark)

The swans are averaging more ConP than they were during 2022.

Edit sorry.
135 and 9th in 2023
139 and 7th in 2023

Hardly glaring.

Midfield discussions.

Gerard Healy & Luke Hodge think we might need a bigger bodied mid in there for big games (skip to about the 10 min mark)

Are they really saying they expect us to beat the Dees and (2022) Cats in contested possessions consistently? While each additional season should see the younger mids get stronger, more mature, I don't think there's much we can do here. Dees beat us in CP twice last year, we beat them on the scoreboard.

Slightly below AFL average but have the most shots. Fix that up and we'll be much better placed

Would love to see the difficulty of our shots. I think our shots are from good areas.

Franklin is a detriment to the team atm. We need to change his position.
View attachment 1649085Franklin draws too much of the ball and it absolutely ruins our forward structure. This is NOT a critic on Buddy, he's doing his best, but he's not dominate enough to be our sole focus.

We either have to even out the inside 50 targets, or get him out of the 50. The amount of times I watched the ball float towards buddy only to be marked or spoiled by May/Lever was infuriating.

That's ridiculous, Franklin/Papley/Heeney should all be similarly targeted imo. I think Heeney/Papley would do more with those attempts rather than buddy. A short term way to fix it would be Buddy playing out of the forward 50.

Midfield discussions.

I agree with him to an extent, we need to continue improving on contested footy but won't be able to compete at the peak of dees/cats until our youngsters develop more physically which is still a couple of seasons away.

A possible tweak could be to change the mid rotations when versing the top tier big bodied teams so you have Mills/Parker & the likes of Heeney being more prominent in the mids earlier in the game when the contest is fierce. We probably need to be smarter using our big bodied players in those matchups.

Our main focus should be getting improvement in contested footy with a youngish midfield group throughout the season.

It was good to see us dominating clearances verse melbourne in the first half. That's a very encouraging sign imo.

It was good to see us dominating clearances verse melbourne in the first half. That's a very encouraging sign imo.
This is the key point. It shows that it wasn't really anything to do with toughness (for me that came into it only in the last qtr when we threw in the towel), we were getting the ball out of the contest, we were just doing SFA with it and selling our defence down the river.

Would love to see the difficulty of our shots. I think our shots are from good areas.

That's ridiculous, Franklin/Papley/Heeney should all be similarly targeted imo. I think Heeney/Papley would do more with those attempts rather than buddy. A short term way to fix it would be Buddy playing out of the forward 50.

I agree with him to an extent, we need to continue improving on contested footy but won't be able to compete at the peak of dees/cats until our youngsters develop more physically which is still a couple of seasons away.

A possible tweak could be to change the mid rotations when versing the top tier big bodied teams so you have Mills/Parker & the likes of Heeney being more prominent in the mids earlier in the game when the contest is fierce. We probably need to be smarter using our big bodied players in those matchups.

Our main focus should be getting improvement in contested footy with a youngish midfield group throughout the season.

I really don't know what to make of the midfield tbh.

This is the key point. It shows that it wasn't really anything to do with toughness (for me that came into it only in the last qtr when we threw in the towel), we were getting the ball out of the contest, we were just doing SFA with it and selling our defence down the river.

I think it was horse after the hawks game said obvs it wasn't ideal losing clearances but the hawks didn't have effective clearances which meant we could turn it over & counter via halfback. It felt like the dees did this well against us when we won the clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back