Autopsy Saints v Richmond - Thanks Roo

Remove this Banner Ad

I've followed the mighty Saints for nigh on 30 years, back to the days of Drew Morphett no less.

I rate these Saints as the best I've seen "Lockett, Harvey, Winmar, Hayes and Riewoldt".

Next year will be the first time we don't have a GOAT playing for us, we have some serious work to do.

So you bring 2 players into the midfield that are having no impact on the game in the hope they will dominate?

Not sure that just throwing players into the middle to see what happens is a great strategy. Sorry I don't think it has anything to do with stubbornness at all.

You don't just put players in the middle to get experience unless they have shown they are capable, we may have lost by 15 goals or more.
Yea, OK so you play Acres , Gresh and Lonie as midfielders at VFL level so that what? they can come and play in the forward line or on the wing for the whole game. Talk me through this logic. Lonie plays VFl for 2 weeks averaging 3+ disposals as a midfielder. Yet he comes into the AFL side and has one opportunity at centre bounce. People get frustrated with him because he lacks an ability to impact on the game. Also clearly Richo does think he and the others are capable as midfielders otherwise he wouldn't have even given them the last 5 minutes of the game on the ball.

Also we're not simply throwing random players into the midfield. These are guys who have spent time developing their midfield craft at VFL level to come and play at AFL in a different position. How do you expect these guys to ever get better if you don't give them a chance at some stage on the ball. At half time we were down by about 40 points but your telling me your worried we are going to lose by 15 goals. So what chances are we lose anyways. The issue with Richo and stubbornness is from the fact that when we have games clearly won or clearly lost he doesn't change the set up at all. It's still the same Dunstan, Ross, Steven,Steven,Steele. If ever he tried to add someone a little dynamic into the mix who knows what could happen. I'm not saying put them all together at once. Try different combinations.
Acres, Steele Dunstan
Lonie Steele Stevens
Gresham Lonie Sinclair

Lastly it's not as if we would be the first team to try and put other players through the midfield. It's amazing the impact that Tippungwutti and Fantasia can have when on the ball for 5 minutes or Toby Mclean who was clearly drafted as a forward and developed into a mid at VFL level. Heck even Jarrod Berry has been tried on the ball but your telling me that Lonie, Acres and Gresham havn't shown any capabilities to play on the ball, I'm sorry but then as far as I'm concerned you havn't been watching closely enough

Longer was great and can kick goals! Another preseason will do wonders. Love the physicality he brings and that leap. Exciting.

Gresham WOWWOWWOW.

RIEWOLDT you amazing saint, The amount of offers he's had and chose to stay is underrated. (See Richmond pitch in for him to play in 2018). Loyal as. Thank you.

Bring on draft/trade period.

Next year will be the first year I have followed St Kilda where we don't have a genuine superstar on the list.

And I'm no spring chicken.
Not only that, but if Joey retires as well, we won't have anyone on our list who has even made an AA team.

Not sure when the last time that happened was, or whether any other team in the comp will be in the same boat. I doubt it.

Last edited:
Just got home. Nearly 8 hours in the car but well worth it to farewell a champion.

Look the game encapsulated our entire season. Effort for the most part was there. Execution was not. When you have repeated inside 50 efforts just to see the forwards stuff up just hurts. Reward for effort is so crucial to the young mids that it is easy for them to drop the heads if they dont see it happening.
He may have missed his shots today but Im looking forward to seeing Lukey D lead the mids next year. His last 6 weeks have been the step up we have hoped for.
Gresh...gee we could have just picked him up for Pick 5. Bring on 2018.
Billings another I'm looking forward to seeing next year.
Carlisle may have been beaten by Townsend but at the same time he was the reason we didnt lose by more. Half way through the last he lead all players for marks.
Longer. God am I glad I was wrong with this bloke. Will only get better and like Carlisle brings that mongrel that we have lacked.

A few out there have question marks heading into next season.
Weller - is he just depth or can he get back to 2016 form?
Bruce - please get your kicking boots back.
Stevens - after the last few weeks is he just depth? With Dunstan seemingly taking the next step is he now 3rd in the Dunstan Steele and Stevens trio?
Lonie - perhaps he is the unlucky one that doesn't get a contract. Cannot fault his effort but he gets taken out of the contest way too easily. Needs more bulk on him. Disposal effectiveness was poor. And for heavens sake that kick for goal. No words needed.

Roo - there are not enough superlatives to give that would even come close to being worthy. I have been privileged to see him from game 1 through to the final hurrah. The embodiment of courage, loyalty, strength and leadership. Fitting that Jack helped him off.

Bring on the trade period and draft. And bring on 2018!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

r2Fhw17wyihv8uPQ1RsFZMDaxTycorDUDJyJqA7d6lI.jpg

Rooey after the game spent some time playing kick to kick with his kid.

And in other news the rain is quite heavy near me.

Today didnt quiet pan out the way I would have liked.

Firstly I slept in a bit due to my dedication to Man U and a few bottles of red so I missed the train and had to drive up the highway... ruining plans for 15 or so. Then after a lot of running around I made my way to Crown with a few mates to cheer on one of my favorite sportsmen ever.. not the bloke that bashes women. That looked promising for a while but oh well.

Then we made the journey to the G clinching to slender hope of the Dockers causing a boilover.. no good also.. but oh well I was still happy to see one of the legends of the game one last time and hopefully get a win to send him off. That also didn't end well.

I spent the game with my Richmond mate in a sea of Richmond members... wowee. I have never seen a bigger bunch of hard done by sooks in my hole life! That was probably the highlight of my day. Every time they sooked I stood up and mocked the hell out of them! And I did a bloody great job of it.. some of my best work! Was a great laugh.

I also stood up and mocked the crap out of Maverick Weller.. he was on the flank in front of me for a spell whilst the ball was down the other end and the crowd was quiet so I'm sure he could hear me calling him a marshmallow and tellinghim to hang them up. This was also significantly pleasing.

I've honestly never hated a player as much as I hate that donut and it's not even his fault. It's not his fault that he footballs so bloody badly and keeps getting selected! If he was in the 2s I would probably love the bloke. All year campaigners have defended the marshmallow telling me we don't have a defensive forward to replace him with. Well he hardly spends any time in the bloody forward line. Today he played in defense half the time and what an absolute liability he was! If he is selected round 1 next year I struggle to see myself attending unless I get to watch Dusty or Jelly chuck on the red white and black.

Anyways... I've complained enough about the soft piece of crap this year so I'll let it go.

Nick I'm going to bloody miss you so much champ! Excessive partying has clouded my early years so I pretty much only know a St.Kilda side with him in it. Absolute legend of the game. I hope I'm still around to see James Riewoltd lead St.Kilda one day and win a flag for his Dad.

Please get the job done in the offseason recruiters! Go Saints!

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roberton will most probably be All Australian

Webster is 24 has only played 64 games and is just starting to show his worth

26 disps (17 kicks 9 hballs) and 5 marks in Rd 20 8-pt win over West Coast at Etihad Stadium (6 Aug 2017)

dot.gif

29 disps (17 kicks 12 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 7 23-pt win over GWS at Etihad Stadium (5 May 2017)

dot.gif

26 disps (17 kicks 9 hballs) and 8 marks in Rd 6 75-pt win over Hawthorn at UTAS Stadium (29 Apr 2017)

dot.gif

25 disps (13 kicks 12 hballs), 6 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 4 14-pt win over Collingwood at Etihad Stadium (16 Apr 2017)

Bruce has not had a great year , however he will only improve on this year - if the ball gets delivered better he will be better.

Lonie is young and needs more time

Savage has had a pretty good last half of the season - and looking at todays game it is pretty had to stop the ball going into the backline when it's coming in continuously

Brown was recruited because we never had a tall defender and he has performed O'k this year - hopefully Goddard comes good and we pick up another tall defender

Weller has not had a good year and going forward he will only be a depth player = hope we can use him in a trade

So out of the list of players you have named I would keep them all but Weller if we could find a good trade for him, if not keep him as well.

We have lost Roo , Montagna , Dempster and will most probably de-list Holmes and will most probably move on another for trade and that could be anyone from Hickey , Weller or Armitage depending on who we can get and if this is the case we need to draft at least 5 players.

If we can get a elite mid like Kelly and a FA like Martin or Rockcliff and a good young defender and use pick 7 in the draft to score another young mid, this will only give us one more vacant position to fill and if we trade Hickey or Weller for a Ballic or someone that's our squad and that squad looks pretty good going forward.

Remember - Roo , Armitage , Steven , Montagna , Hickey , Weller , Bruce , Savage , McCartin , Goddard have not had great years due to form or injury and we only just missed out on getting in to the finals so a couple more good mids and McCartin, Battle or Marshall coming good we will be in the finals and we have a lot of upside to our squad.

I'm not saying trade/delist them all this year just the problem is not in our midfield.

I Completely agree Richmond have had an ideal run with injuries and that injuries to Roo, Armitage, Steven, Gilbert, Dempster, McCartin and Montagna likely cost us top 8 finish (Roo's knee was clearly shot before the break)

But our defence has preformed below average this year I know Geary went down today but no one stepped up and the numbers would be similar in other games.

2017 Tigers average I50 56 Marks I50 14 Goals 13 Behinds 12
Tigers vs Saints I50 58 Marks I50 13 Goals 18 Behinds 8

The tigers kicked more goals because they had more easy shots.

- Brown I'm really glad we pinched him but he's a boat who gets beaten at ground level follows his man to the ball drop which teams use to create space for other forwards.

- Roberton will not be All Australian he's an over sized medium defender but being played as poor 3rd tall and is best loose.

- Webster is a better defender, solid spoil but not an intercept mark and faster players run off him.

- Savage likes to get and run but he's not particularly fast is a average defender, poor spoil, poor intercept mark.

All 3 (Roberton, Webster and Savage) are excellent kicks but not a great defence together choose 2 and get a fast defender to collect the loose ball and run it out of defence or a Jake lever.

- Bruce Has gone downhill since the middle of 2015 sometimes forwards do it like Cloke or Heatley and he is a liability as 2nd ruck.

- Lonie Should get another year but he has kicked 3 goals twice averages 0.5 Goals and 1.2 Behinds so he's a small forward who isn't particularly good at kicking goals. Lonie isn't particularly fast and is very small teams are playing guys off him unless he improves we need to find better.

- Weller has had a rubbish year after his best ever game I hope he can come back next year and find his form but many times his direct opponent has been BOG (I actually partly blame Richo for playing him his VFL form didn't warrant a return)

Delivery isn't actually the problem Marks inside F50 is top 5 (equal to Sydney) but we averaged 2 less goals and kicked the most behinds in the league.

Clearances are 35.8 (13th) but 36.5 (7th) for Longer's 17 games and 37.75 (5th) over the last 8 rounds since the Freo win when Longer found his rhythm.

Play a decent forward/ruck we would go top 4 for clearances.(Can Marshall be the man).

There is an argument about tackling 69.2 (9th) but its only 2 behind everyone bar Geelong and we have a young midfield.

Two way running seems to be lacking at moments but I suspect its opposition numbers from the our forwardline and defence overwhelming the mids.

Steele, Steven, Ross, Billings, Dunstan, Sinclair, Newnes, Acres with Longer is a top 8 midfield its not flash but it's very solid.

We don't need 2 elite mids and top 10 draft picks we just need Kelly or Dustin for a top 4 midfield.(Bonus if Acres can consistently play well)

What we do need is a stronger defence, functioning forwardline with a decent ruck/forward.

Last edited:
I also stood up and mocked the crap out of Maverick Weller.. he was on the flank in front of me for a spell whilst the ball was down the other end and the crowd was quiet so I'm sure he could hear me calling him a marshmallow and tellinghim to hang them up. This was also significantly pleasing.

I've honestly never hated a player as much as I hate that donut and it's not even his fault. It's not his fault that he footballs so bloody badly and keeps getting selected! If he was in the 2s I would probably love the bloke. All year campaigners have defended the marshmallow telling me we don't have a defensive forward to replace him with. Well he hardly spends any time in the bloody forward line. Today he played in defense half the time and what an absolute liability he was! If he is selected round 1 next year I struggle to see myself attending unless I get to watch Dusty or Jelly chuck on the red white and black.
This is one of the poorest things ive ever read written on this forum. Considering the recent sea of s**t thats infected this place that requires a real ******* effort.

Nick is the greatest saint I've seen. Maybe the greatest I ever will. It hurt seeing him say goodbye. I felt my entire childhood and teenage years just leave me...... But it was time. Because he was a quarter of the player that we all remember him being. In time the full extent of his 2010 hammy will come out and you'll learn we were robbed of his best years. You'll learn what he played through each week this year. But I am grateful we go to see him again....

After a long hard look, this season doesn't hurt nor does it disappoint me. It some crazy way it excites me of what's too come. Picks 7 and 8. Dusty or jelly. Paddy and Hugh. A list that challenged each and every side but has no consistency. Steele with no pre season. Mav who was a fan favourite for his play last season can have his ankle surgery and become who we expected him to be. Another pre season into acres Sinclair and White.

The future is bright and I urge you all to be passionate about it. We finally said goodbye to our favorite saint. But we are also now free to let this group write their own story. No more baggage and pain, or heartbreak to drive them. This group is now their own and I expect their to be a different stkilda next season. One we will all be proud of.

He wouldn't have had to go back if he wasn't playing. Like he shouldn't have been all year

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree that he shouldn't have been but it's not his choice and its counter productive. We don't have to be like the Injectors and think every player is a champion but we could not yell abuse at them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back