Society/Culture Father's Day or Special Persons Day? The case for change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
The name Father's Day seems a bit antiquated now that Fathers are not a perfunctory part of a family unit, and post-SSM (I assume it will pass and rightly so), what is the message that it sends, not only to children without present fathers, but also to gay couples?

I always dreaded Father's Day because I didn't want to include my father. He was an alcoholic and verbally abusive to all of us. So I sympathise with children in particular who want no part of this holiday for other reasons, ie. not having a present biological father at all.

What is your opinion on picking a more inclusive name? How would you go about it?

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/08/30...-special-persons-day-backlash-on-social-media

An Australian academic is pushing for Father’s Day to be renamed Special Persons’ Day.

Dr Red Ruby Scarlet, convener of Social Justice In Early Childhood Activist Group, explained on news programme, Today Tonight, that shifting language around important days can help the community become more inclusive.

“If we think about children’s rights and how they get to participate in a community and feel a sense of belonging, sometimes shifting the language around those emotive and important days can be significant and more inclusive,” said Dr Scarlet, who has a doctorate in early childhood studies.

RedRubyScarletpreferredimage.jpg

I see red: Dr Red Ruby Scarlet is an advocate for changing the language around significant family days in Australia. Image: youtube

There are a huge range of different family structures, Dr Scarlet continued, and she believes there are better ways to describe emotive events around families than the way we currently describe them.

"We have single parent families, satellite families, extended families, lesbian and gay families,” Dr Scarlet said

Last edited:
The name Father's Day seems a bit antiquated now that Fathers are not a perfunctory part of a family unit, and post-SSM (I assume it will pass and rightly so), what is the message that it sends, not only to children without present fathers, but also to gay couples?

I always dreaded Father's Day because I didn't want to include my father. He was an alcoholic and verbally abusive to all of us. So I sympathise with children in particular who want no part of this holiday for other reasons, ie. not having a present biological father at all.

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/08/30...-special-persons-day-backlash-on-social-media

Doctor Red Effing Ruby Scarlet?!?!
Your post is 5 months late.

• Banned
Oh seriously ... I back you on many things but this I won't. Fathers Day should be celebrated every day, as Mothers Day. Like Christmas, it's all about selling stuff that people don't need. Wrong take man.

Are you saying we don't need Father's Day or Special Person's Day at all?

Sorry to hear about the relationship with your father. However, like a lot of people I enjoy taking the opportunity to celebrate all my Dad did for me and the family. We do the same for Mum on Mother's Day.. so by renaming fathers day do we need to rename Mothers Day as well? Then do we need to merge the days or do we have two Special Person Days?

If you're not Christian, don't celebrate Christmas. If you don't want to acknowledge Fathers Day, then don't.

I think a better solution would be to remove any special purpose or celebratory day. By naming certain people or groups, we are actually excluding others from these celebrations.

I love my father, but I'm not sure people that don't have a dad should have it shoved in their face.

Yes. That's what I'm saying.

And you shouldn't have to feel in any way obligated. Your truth is yours and you honour it in your time.

I think this would be the best solution, and we just celebrate our parents or guardians or miscellaneous every day, however this is a market interest in promoting these days so I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

If you're not Christian, don't celebrate Christmas. If you don't want to acknowledge Fathers Day, then don't.

In many cases we don't mention Christmas due to this consideration. Is it too much to ask that we do the same for 'Father's Day'?

In many cases we don't mention Christmas due to this consideration. Is it too much to ask that we do the same for 'Father's Day'?

Is there anything we can safely mention without fearing hurting someone's feelings? I know people who live in Melbourne who hate AFL.. should we stop talking about AFL because of them. What about people who think gambling is terrible.. should we cancel Melbourne Cup Day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anything we can safely mention without fearing hurting someone's feelings? I know people who live in Melbourne who hate AFL.. should we stop talking about AFL because of them. What about people who think gambling is terrible.. should we cancel Melbourne Cup Day?

We do need to work on our addiction to gambling, particularly pokies.

I think this would be the best solution, and we just celebrate our parents or guardians or miscellaneous every day, however this is a market interest in promoting these days so I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

Truth first. Who gives a rats ass about the market? Live your truth. x

Also, let others live theirs.

I felt excluded at school for a number of reasons, my father being only one of them.

My religion or lack of it.
Being an immigrant from a poor family in a school of well-to-do Anglo-Celts.
Having to hide the abuse that I experienced at home in a school of happy children.
Playing soccer instead of AFL.
Having a surname nobody could pronounce, or which was purposely mispronounced.

If we can get rid of one of these reasons for exclusion, I think it'll be worth it.

I felt excluded at school for a number of reasons, my father being only one of them.

Having to hide the abuse that I experienced at home in a school of happy children.

If we can get rid of one of these reasons for exclusion, I think it'll be worth it.

<What about your Mum? Which primary school? What was your name?

OK then we're all agreed, ban soccer.

Buy some tissues.
Oh yeah, and a violin.....

<What about your Mum? Which primary school? What was your name?

Mother was abusive as well, however she was pleasant most of the time and able to put on a good face for the school. She was more physically abusive, which I suppose is what one would expect of a father. He didn't hit us but it was verbal and he was unpleasant and he would often destroy things, or punch holes in the walls.

My surname is long and foreign.

I agree with you.. and I have no problem with running gambling warning advertisements or even restrictions on advertising (the amount shown in AFL is absurd) but based on other causes, the progressive answer would be something like:

1 - redefining the term "gambling" to exclude the involvement of money
2 - changing the date of the Melbourne Cup so people can forget about money they've lost that day
3 - requiring a public apology from all gambling companies for money people have lost
4 - telling gambling addicts that it's not their fault and the guy who invented the poker machine is to blame.
5 - removing the name of the guy who invented poker machine from historical public record

Remove this Banner Ad

Back