Advertising: okay or obnoxious?

Remove this Banner Ad

In order to prevent the Liberal Party - How Long? going too far off topic...

It's long been rather common knowledge that supermarkets put chocolates and displays at children's hand and eye level, that McDonalds has long kept their advertising to periods of children's entertainment; staples of 90's culture. But advertising has grown ever more iniquitous; Netflix has over the last few years launched a show called Arcane, which while an excellent science fantasy drama serves as an advertisement for League of Legends; ditto, Edgerunners and Cyberpunk 2077.

The Herald Sun, Sydney Morning Herald/Age have page wide spreadsheets. Business sponsors programming and can co-investigate/fund investigation into quality control. Political advertising - supposedly - has little effect, but if it had as little effect across the board why are parties spending 100's of millions of dollars to disseminate as much advertising to the right people?

What is your opinion of advertising these days? Is it just an inbuilt feature necessary to society? How do you view political advertising or the ethics of advertising?

MPMonkeys

All Australian
May 15, 2022
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Opinions are often presented as facts
Or presented on shows that represent themselves as news, and it becomes hard for the average non engaged australian to tell what is news and what is opinion (This board is not an example of the non engaged)
Misleading advertising should be haranged and the ad agency that makes them run into the ground.
All advertising by nature is misleading. Does everyone who eats Vegemite become “happy’.

If you want to ban misleading advertising, then you may as well ban all advertising.

All advertising by nature is misleading. Does everyone who eats Vegemite become “happy’.

If you want to ban misleading advertising, then you may as well ban all advertising.
Are you... are you saying...

No ads during the footy!

Celebrate We The Best GIF by Booksmart

In all seriousness, advertising has gone bonkers over the last 20 or so years with absolutely nothing done by governments of all stripes to curtail it. A pullback is probably to some extent in order and overdue.
Dad gets the Herald Sun: half the front page is an ad, sometimes the entire back page is an ad, on any random spread at least 2 ads on it.
Internet: YouTube ads pre-roll, multiple mid-roll and post, banner ads in the recommended video disguised as an ad. Website with auto roll video ads that pin themselves to the top of the screen. Scrolling halfway down a website and an entire ad you have to scroll past pops up
Driving: Random backs of warehouses throwing up ads on the back of it. LED billboards to rotate through ads so they can have multiple at a lights stop

It's disgusting

In all seriousness, advertising has gone bonkers over the last 20 or so years with absolutely nothing done by governments of all stripes to curtail it. A pullback is probably to some extent in order and overdue.
I refuse to listen to commercial radio anymore.

Wife watches The Block which quite possibly is the worst show ever. There is about 3 minutes of actual content which they put on repeat, the rest is either actual adds or infomercials woven into the show. Apparently you can build an entire house out of Velux skylight lights - who knew.

Wife watches The Block which quite possibly is the worst show ever. There is about 3 minutes of actual content which they put on repeat, the rest is either actual adds or infomercials woven into the show. Apparently you can build an entire house out of Velux skylight lights - who knew.
I made a decision in the early 2010's that I was going to listen to Triple J because as bad as the music and hipsters can be, it's better than being advertised at for most of the day.

These days it's more podcasts and youtube anyway, but youtube is pissing me right off with the ads. Was listening to a live performance of Comfortably Numb, and the *******s decided to plonk an ad dead centre of the solo at the end of the song.

I made a decision in the early 2010's that I was going to listen to Triple J because as bad as the music and hipsters can be, it's better than being advertised at for most of the day.

These days it's more podcasts and youtube anyway, but youtube is pissing me right off with the ads. Was listening to a live performance of Comfortably Numb, and the *******s decided to plonk an ad dead centre of the solo at the end of the song.

Listen to local radio

I haven't seen a YouTube ad in at least 10 years. Ive read similar stories about a recent increase of ads, but my browser extension still beats whatever they must have tried to implement.

On here I went Premium but I'll never do that on YouTube. I watched an excellent video called Cobra Theory recently on the subject of ads on YouTube and would recommend it to anyone interested to look it up.

No I want to hold misleading advertising accountable for the amount it represents as fact. For example I’d hold things clearly promoting products to a different standard to those for politics.
(I’d still want to see the research that leads to things like 9 out of 10 dentists recommend x brand of toothbrush) something which is vague (like the Vegemite one) is not trying to portray fact and is clearly advertising.
First cab off the rank, right after somebody, somewhere, shows the will and ability to stop the exponential volume and speed of dissemination of lies on social media, as witness its increasing abuse by anti-progressive forces through Brexit, Trump 2016, Australia 2019, and the Referendum.

Radio for footy is a ******* disgrace

for every 60 seconds of content it is 45 seconds of plugs like 'Hard Yakkas' and 'Harvey Norman scoreboards' or whatever and 15 of calling the game. There's supposed to be laws that 14 mins of ads per 60 mins (I think?). These *ers run the opposite ratio!

Advertising doesn't really bother me that much. You can either choose to consume it or you can choose not to:
Two exceptions:
  • The same ad repeated constantly in a one hour period. There ought to be a restriction on how many times an ad can be played in a 1-2 hour period
  • Interviews with people that are just camouflage for that person promoting their new movie, book or whatever

Would it really be effective anyway?

Targeted advertising on mobile devices is taking an ever increasing share of advertising spend and that content is largely offshore, immune to Australian legislation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would it really be effective anyway?

Targeted advertising on mobile devices is taking an ever increasing share of advertising spend and that content is largely offshore, immune to Australian legislation.
While true, governments don't really get to sit there and shrug. It's on them to look for and find solutions, even if it takes diplomacy to force other countries to the table.

You can't argue with Facebook or Twitter, until suddenly you can.

While true, governments don't really get to sit there and shrug. It's on them to look for and find solutions, even if it takes diplomacy to force other countries to the table.

You can't argue with Facebook or Twitter, until suddenly you can.
Meta (the Delaware based LLC of the hundreds of Facebook companies) technically holds the posted content for Facebook, but subcontract out the algorithms that generate individual targeted ads.
The structure is designed to reduce the effectiveness of regulation. It's insidious

I was thinking about this reading a former staffers talk about how they made misleading ads but didn't think it turned the dial. But to me, it reduces the credibility of all political advertising.

I think there is a big difference between puff (Vegemite will make you happy and red bull gives you wings) than say deliberately misleading political statements

My problem with it, is it either makes us all sceptical of all statements or worse imo we only believe what the party we want to vote say and ignore potentially relevant criticism of that platform.

To be honest, I hate advertising, I ignore it where I can and I pay to avoid it for my entertainment content.

So to me all advertising should be this simple

1. Who are you
2. What are you selling
3. Why/how does it benefit me
4. How much does it cost.

You can overlay to politicians, which would mean an end to the stupid catch phrases about the opposition or things like Medicare text or boat arrival text from a few elections ago would be simply outlawed.

No children, no emotional bullshit, no pretend happy gamblers winning that 1 multi out of the 100 they laid.

Just honest advertising.

Generally I think advertising is a good thing. One way or another, social media and other media services are going to make money off us. That could be from farming our data, advertising, or making us pay to use the services.

The ads on youtube can be annoying, but they're easily bypassed using adblocking extensions.

Kayo could utilise more advertising in the breaks with minimal impact on user experience, and I see that as a plus if they shave a few dollars off the subscription cost as a result.

As others said, gambling advertising should have stricter regulation.

Advertising eh.

Does anyone scroll down to the bottom of every BF page?

Advertising galore, without it BF probably wouldn't exist.

Chief would you like to extrapolate? Would BF exist without it?

I'm pretty sure all of us here would be interested in your take.

As much as advertising is a pain in the neck, pretty sure it's a necessary evil.

Are you... are you saying...

No ads during the footy!

Celebrate We The Best GIF by Booksmart
Stupid me thought Pay TV would be free from ads given it's a user pays model. Commercial TV stations have to make money so commercials are a necessary evil. But Foxtel is full of ads, even the ABC and SBS seem to be rife.

I think there does need to be regulation of claims being made particularly in political ads but I don't know how that would work. I just trust all advertising with a strong degree of skepticism and cynicism.

That being said this is awesome

Let alone the pure brilliance of Japansese ads

Advertising eh.

Does anyone scroll down to the bottom of every BF page?

Advertising galore, without it BF probably wouldn't exist.

Chief would you like to extrapolate? Would BF exist without it?

I'm pretty sure all of us here would be interested in your take.

As much as advertising is a pain in the neck, pretty sure it's a necessary evil.
It would need to be paid access only. Which means it wouldn't exist in its current form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back