Society/Culture Father's Day or Special Persons Day? The case for change.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why people will be voting no

You know this has nothing to do with marriage equality.

The name Father's Day seems a bit antiquated now that Fathers are not a perfunctory part of a family unit, and post-SSM (I assume it will pass and rightly so), what is the message that it sends, not only to children without present fathers, but also to gay couples?

I always dreaded Father's Day because I didn't want to include my father. He was an alcoholic and verbally abusive to all of us. So I sympathise with children in particular who want no part of this holiday for other reasons, ie. not having a present biological father at all.

What is your opinion on picking a more inclusive name? How would you go about it?

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/08/30...-special-persons-day-backlash-on-social-media

I'm sorry you had a poor father. It makes everything that much harder as a young person - did you have any other role models growing up?

Good fathers shouldn't miss out on "their day".. good fathers who are present, engaged with their children, run households, and on & on.... I don't think they deserve to be part of a catch all

Unless you combine it with Mother's Day and make it parents day, or if the point is to celebrate family, make it "family day".

The name Father's Day seems a bit antiquated now that Fathers are not a perfunctory part of a family unit, and post-SSM (I assume it will pass and rightly so), what is the message that it sends, not only to children without present fathers, but also to gay couples?

I always dreaded Father's Day because I didn't want to include my father. He was an alcoholic and verbally abusive to all of us. So I sympathise with children in particular who want no part of this holiday for other reasons, ie. not having a present biological father at all.

What is your opinion on picking a more inclusive name? How would you go about it?

http://honey.nine.com.au/2017/08/30...-special-persons-day-backlash-on-social-media
GOOD MORNING.
Happy FATHER'S Day, all you dads out there.....
Have a great day...

You know this has nothing to do with marriage equality.

I'm sorry you had a poor father. It makes everything that much harder as a young person - did you have any other role models growing up?

Good fathers shouldn't miss out on "their day".. good fathers who are present, engaged with their children, run households, and on & on.... I don't think they deserve to be part of a catch all

Unless you combine it with Mother's Day and make it parents day, or if the point is to celebrate family, make it "family day".
Or just stick to celebrating the 2 separate days of the 2 people who biologically make it possible to make a family

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shifting language. Cunning little tricks by the left. Illegal immigrants become undocumented migrants, Father's Day becomes special persons day etc

If your hope of a inarticulate or indescribable card or lump of glazed and fired clay comes from the heart of a child biologically or otherwise in your care,I see no reason to justify your argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back