Folklore: stories you're not sure about

It's rugby league not Afl but Laurie Daley allegedly had a Tommy Tank in the sheds after the 89 grand final while Bob Hawke was lurking nearby
My favourite league anecdote/myth is from back around this time concerned King Wally, Gene Miles, Sandra Sully and a hot tub. Amusing, but heard it from that many different people it made me think it was common knowledge. One of those ones like the Gilchrist/Slater bollocks that just grew legs and ran and ran

100% true.

For Richmond, it's the 1973 Prelim. Royce Hart basically had no knees left, was barely fit, and so was on the bench (no interchange back then). Half-time - Collingwood lead by 43 pts. The discussion in the rooms supposedly was something like:

"If we put Hart on, he won't be fit for the Grand Final!".
"If we don't put Hart on, we won't make the Grand Final!".

Hart came on, played well, Richmond come back and win, Hart plays GF and does well as Richmond win.

I have my doubts, personally. Sure, Hart wasn't anywhere near 100% fit. But if he's OK to come off the bench, how long could he play for - one quarter, two quarters? I can't believe there was much doubt about putting him on. 43 points down.

Still - good story.

Yeah it's bullshit. We were only down by 36 :p

My favourite league anecdote/myth is from back around this time concerned King Wally, Gene Miles, Sandra Sully and a hot tub. Amusing, but heard it from that many different people it made me think it was common knowledge. One of those ones like the Gilchrist/Slater bollocks that just grew legs and ran and ran

As if there's not already enough reasons to love The King as a Queensland fan, putting away sandra - an absolute goddess - would just top it all off.

I don't know about this one and assume you can't explain ?

There's a couple of versions I've heard - One where Dorotich was found performing some "individual brilliance" in the back seat of his car after training, and one where he was sitting in/looking on in admiration while teammate Wayne Johnston "dominated" a female acquaintance.

He said it on 'Offsiders' just before the start of the 2009 season. He was a guest on the show and after continued provocation from known Cat John Harms to keep spouting off his usual s**t he went on to say that. I'm at work at the moment so can't look it up but surely it's on youtube.
I've seen that footage but I'm not sure when, where or if the 'secret pact' was made.

I had a green coloured book that was pretty old that covered a lot of these little stories. One I can faintly remember was a transexual used to frequent outside the Tigers training base... used to lurk in bushes and regularly got with Tigers players after a training session but the thing is a few of the Tigers boy thought it was their dirty secret unbeknown to them that their team mates were also riding the ****** express. I think that was it must have been the late 70s or 80s this happened.

transexual or Ian Stewart?

There's a couple of versions I've heard - One where Dorotich was found performing some "individual brilliance" in the back seat of his car after training, and one where he was sitting in/looking on in admiration while teammate Wayne Johnston "dominated" a female acquaintance.
Jo Pearson springs to mind

I have no idead about the valudity but I've heard a story about Ablett senior ordering a pizza and beating up the delivery boy when he came bevause he'd done the dirty with his girlfriend. Multiple times over the years but sometimes urban myths are like that

100% true.

For Richmond, it's the 1973 Prelim. Royce Hart basically had no knees left, was barely fit, and so was on the bench (no interchange back then). Half-time - Collingwood lead by 43 pts. The discussion in the rooms supposedly was something like:

"If we put Hart on, he won't be fit for the Grand Final!".
"If we don't put Hart on, we won't make the Grand Final!".

Hart came on, played well, Richmond come back and win, Hart plays GF and does well as Richmond win.

I have my doubts, personally. Sure, Hart wasn't anywhere near 100% fit. But if he's OK to come off the bench, how long could he play for - one quarter, two quarters? I can't believe there was much doubt about putting him on. 43 points down.

Still - good story.

Man, you don't get that sort of access these days. I would trade roaming BT for real access like that every day of the week.

In the 80's Dermie fell off the bed while having vigorous relations and did some damage to his equipment?

An unrelated story, Dermie played with broken ribs, kicked 11, wearing a protective vest said to contain blown up condoms for padding?

Is there real tensions between Dermie and Dunstall, or do they just enjoy mocking each other?

bd89c8d2eb5ef153f62f2a030df20d2b.jpg

Back