No Oppo Supporters Jack Watts - Traded to PA for pick 31, Thanks Jack

Jack Watts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to take the emotion out of this.
A 150 game player who’s best finish in a b and f was 6th
Out of favour at the club. Not performing. And underperforming when put in the vfl
Constant talk of lack of professionalism and lack of effort away from games
No club in the league was willing to offer a pick higher

If no club would pay higher than 31, how in the hell can people claim we got ripped off? Geelong pulled out because they didn’t want to give up a pick in the 20s

It's unbelievable how many supporters get caught up with the good nature of a player instead of the effort he play's with.

9 Years and he didn't do much let's be honest.

This is from Garry Lyon who would obviously know people at Melbourne

'

I’ve heard Jack in the past 24 hours variously described as a great player and the heart and soul of the football club,” Lyon said.

“He hasn’t been either of those things, he’s been a good at times but not for long enough, very good player and a popular one, but also very frustrating footballer.

“The football club’s decision, is not merely on what happens on the weekend.

“It’s the manifestation of all that happens throughout the summer months and the day-to-day training loads, it’s the endless hours of game review tapes.

“It’s the degrees of urgency, intensity and desperation that they’ve sought over the years and quite simply, this is what it comes down to, previous regimes have been prepared to settle for less from Jack and I don’t think the Goodwin cartel will."

Jack watts is a rippa fella and I'm sure loved by all, but it's time to get serious about winning and that's something he's not.

It's unbelievable how many supporters get caught up with the good nature of a player instead of the effort he play's with.

9 Years and he didn't do much let's be honest.
Surely these people should be pissed about trenners to. I mean he’s a ripper bloke. Never delist.

That's why Port wanted him though. We have some of the best forward pressure and highest number of inside 50's, but our delivery is shocking. We have plenty of bulls, but little class going forward. We need a good kick in our team, we have tacklers and pressure coming out of our ears and it looks like that's what he will provide.

I see this trade like our Impey and A'Chee trades. It isn't really about the individuals, but about the structure going forward and for you Watts doesn't fit it.
I agree and I think he will be good for Port - they have identified him to fill a need based on his strengths.

You also might be able to capitalise, at least at first, on a sort of 'new lease of life' when he changes clubs. He has been at Melbourne for such a long time, and it appears that his efforts haven't always been satisfactory - to some extent he has probably heard the same criticisms from the same people for such a long time that he has stopped listening. I think lots of people do that, so its not so surprising. This is a bit of a wake-up call, and I think it will be good for him in the long run.

Anyhow, good luck and I hope he goes really well at Port.

Surely these people should be pissed about trenners to. I mean he’s a ripper bloke. Never delist.
I am a bit.

There is a part of me that wants to compile a team with Watts, Trengove, random nice people - my mum perhaps. And then just hope against hope that they pull it together and win something in a freak accident. It's not a practical part of me though.

That's why Port wanted him though. We have some of the best forward pressure and highest number of inside 50's, but our delivery is shocking. We have plenty of bulls, but little class going forward. We need a good kick in our team, we have tacklers and pressure coming out of our ears and it looks like that's what he will provide.

I see this trade like our Impey and A'Chee trades. It isn't really about the individuals, but about the structure going forward and for you Watts doesn't fit it.
Fair

Still totally gutted. Understand the club's decision to move him on, but feel he was worth persisting with and clearly we handled it badly. For Pick 31 I kinda hope Jack was doing more than supplying drugs to teammates; maybe he was employing Auskick children to distribute meth in primary schools. I hope so.

FWIW I'm not 100% on board with this "lack of effort" thing. I thought it was the coach's job to get the best out of players, and I saw enough of Watts (particularly when Gawn went down) to think he could turn it on when needed.

Will be horrible seeing him play for Port Adelaide, and seeing Bugg run around without him :(

Give how badly we mismanaged him I kinda feel like we owed him a little more than sending him to ******* Port Adelaide of all places.

Nathan Wilson looks like he will go for a second round pick. If Watts was a steal that's day light robbery he's the best kick from defence in the AFL

Whats with you not acknowledging other clubs soft players?

Whats with you not acknowledging other clubs soft players?

I have plenty mate. But when you watch someone week in week out as opposed to every so often you aren't exposed to the constant frustration.

However you have to acknowledge Wilson from defence is lethal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, I don't think Jack Watts has been given enough credit for his part in the Tommy Bugg Instagate scandal.

Watt's absolutely nails the expression in this picture. I'm terrified.

untitled.png

I hate this trade as stated but geez, no matter your stance and what you think of Watts the footballer you have got to admire the way he has taken it on the chin, an absolute class act, youre a bigger man than me, Jack, I'm glad you have gone somewhere with a chance of finals success, here's hoping if its not us its you, i wish you all the best at Port, champ. :thumbsu:

Gary Lyon was very lucid on JW this morning. When he compared JW's stats with those of Colin Sylvia, clarity was mine . . . . . . I remember Sylvia winning games off his own boot (say, against Richmond). Other than glorified cameo appearances, I cannot recall a single match where JW dominated proceedings from beginning to end. . . . .

So old mate Wigg from Adelaide. Yet to debut. Was traded for a pick 8 picks worse than Jack Watts. We really, really wanted him gone.

I'm not even against getting rid of him, but why did we do it the way we did? I really don't get why. Broadcasted it all and seemingly deliberately lowered his value. Players with 0 games' experience are basically valued the same as what we got. Surely deserves some scrutiny. It won't happen, but jeepers.

Would we just have delisted him if we didn't get a trade done? Seems like it, with the way we handled it.

Big call from Goodwin IMO. If we get off to a rocky start next year, the 'full support of the board' talk will start early with him I think, correct or not.

This is from Garry Lyon who would obviously know people at Melbourne

'

I’ve heard Jack in the past 24 hours variously described as a great player and the heart and soul of the football club,” Lyon said.

“He hasn’t been either of those things, he’s been a good at times but not for long enough, very good player and a popular one, but also very frustrating footballer.

“The football club’s decision, is not merely on what happens on the weekend.

“It’s the manifestation of all that happens throughout the summer months and the day-to-day training loads, it’s the endless hours of game review tapes.

“It’s the degrees of urgency, intensity and desperation that they’ve sought over the years and quite simply, this is what it comes down to, previous regimes have been prepared to settle for less from Jack and I don’t think the Goodwin cartel will."

Jack watts is a rippa fella and I'm sure loved by all, but it's time to get serious about winning and that's something he's not.

Nothing against you for posting this or your own opinion whatsoever TK, you know i respect what you think, but....

The last person's opinion i give a s**t about is Garry Lyon's, who has done sweet fa for the club since retiring except for that one time his hand was forced when his best mate Jim was on his death bed. Far be it for Garry to point the finger and say someone else didn't give their all to the MFC.

Stay in the safety of your steady income on media street, Garry, take your pot shots at players who you wouldn't know jack s**t about other than what you hear via second hand information. You're really not that much different to any of us who post on big footy at the end of the day, the only difference being you have a larger platform to voice your opinion.

Jack as far as i know has never porked his best mates ex missus, at least he can walk with his head held high knowing he isn't a selfish campaigner of a human being.

Go and * yourself,

Sincerely

Alldat

Last edited:
Nothing against you for posting this or your own opinion whatsoever TK, you know i respect what you think, but....

The last person's opinion i give a s**t about is Garry Lyon's, who has done sweet fa for the club since retiring except for that one time his hand was forced when his best mate Jim was on his death bed. Far be it for Garry to point the finger and say someone else didn't give their all to the MFC.

Stay in the safety of your steady income on media street, Garry, take your pot shots at players who you wouldn't know jack s**t about other than what you hear via second hand information. You're really not that much different to any of us who post on big footy at the end of the day, the only difference being you have a larger platform to voice your opinion.

Jack as far as i know has never porked his best mates ex missus, at least he can walk with his head held high knowing he isn't a selfish campaigner of a human being.

Go and **** yourself,

Sincerely

Alldat
Lyon gave more to Melbourne than watts ever did. He owed the club NOTHING when he retired and people need to stop expecting past players to be involved. 95% aren’t. Yet it’s only mentioned by nuffies who want to try and create straw men to discredit opinion

We get it. You love watts.

It's going to be very interesting to see how he fares at Port as he enters what I believe will be, or at least should be, his best years as a player.

I'm torn on the decision. Overall I'd rather have kept him than given him away for a pretty measly pick as his quality leaves a gap in our collective skillset. He is also in fact rated as elite for forward pressure, though I understand that doesn't pass the eye test some weeks.

By the same token his down weeks were clearly not of an acceptable standard to the coaching group and they are hell bent on setting standards for the younger players.

So I can understand the reasons to be in favour of the move. What I can't understand is to be so emotionally detached that you're not the least bit saddened by it.

Watts wasn't an ordinary player by any stretch. Yes, he was part of the generation that symbolised previous failures. However his rise under Roos' tutelage coincided with the club's rise. In an emotional sense he has been the central figure to the MFC's plight. Good times and and bad. For him to be moved on now is ultimately, at a very basic level, sad.

It's okay to put the club first, but if you're not saddened by this whatsoever then I can't help but feel you've missed out on a large chunk of what it has meant to be a Melbourne supporter over the past decade.

Lyon gave more to Melbourne than watts ever did. He owed the club NOTHING when he retired and people need to stop expecting past players to be involved. 95% aren’t. Yet it’s only mentioned by nuffies who want to try and create straw men to discredit opinion

We get it. You love watts.

Nup, you dont get it at all.

Nup, you dont get it at all.
I don’t think you get it mate. Says a lot that instead of responding to the opinion you throw a tantrum about a bloke who captained the club and put in for almost all of his career at 100%. The bloke literally had to stop playing because his body was ****ed from playing for Melbourne

Yet here you are throwing another tantrum because he spoke about why the club traded watts, how dare a bloke who actually gave to the club pot someone who put in for a year of a 9 year career.

And let’s just forget that Lyon still actually has mates at Melbourne. Bloke obviously has no idea.

Well said, Sprout.

You described a large chunk of how i view it. I think the part that leaves me 'saddened' is that it feels like we've been defending him for so long against pretty much everyone, including MFC supporters and even coaches for the better part of a decade. It became part and parcel of being an MFC supporter, trying to understand the beef that everyone had with him from day 0, and having to actually explain to people that he was never going to be Jonathon Brown, and that is perfectly OK.

Roos said it well when he mentioned that Watts might not ever be a great of the game, but that he would be a good player. And he is. People disagree but that's what he was. Really good/elite at some stuff and ordinary at others leading to a solid player but nothing absolutely spectacular.

Feels like we went through all the hard yards with him, and have now got not much to show for it. I think I feel a bit cheated or something. Almost like he was a massive pain in the arse, but he was our pain in the arse. Weird, I don't think i've felt this way after a trade before. Probably because there hasn't been a player that has been treated like him before. Weird career.

I hope he absolutely kills it at Port, but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't. I wonder if the same hounding will take place over there. I would have liked to see him end up at Sydney. Reckon he would kick 50 goals in that forward line with midfielders actually hitting him up every good lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back