Star Wars movie

Remove this Banner Ad

Prequel changes I'd make (most of these aren't my ideas):

- Make Anakin slightly older in Ep 1, maybe a 14 or 15 year old teen.
- Make Obi Wan the main hero of the trilogy. Have Obi Wan go onto Naboo and Qui Gon stay on the ship. Qui Gon = the wise old mentor, Obi Wan = reckless, idealistic, starry eyed young jedi.
- Create a love triangle between Obi Wan, Anakin and Padame. This would add some human drama to Anakin's ultimate betrayal and turn to the dark side.
- Have Mace Windu believe he is chosen one, this gives a reason for his resentment towards Anakin and creates more human drama.
- Have the Clones be the Separatists' army, therefore Chancellor Palpatine is forced to recruit Storm-troopers (normal blokes who take up service to defend the Republic) and build Star Destroyers in order to fight the Clones.
- Have Anakin hunt down the Jedi rather than the Clone brain chip thing, until he meets Obi Wan who defeats him.Get rid of the child murder thing.

I feel like these changes alone would instantly make the trilogy much better.

Yeah, but Luke couldn't do s**t without training. Anakid could build s**t and fly, but couldn't do anything either really. Rey could fix ships, which was okay. She could fly, which wasn't given much explanation, but sure. But what gets me is her ability to use the force with literally zero training. It was difficult for Luke to make anything happen, with Yoda training him. Rey could do it all with no guidance.

I'll watch the new movie for sure, but I hate her character so far.

When Luke gets the light saber at the start of ESB, no-one taught him that (on-screen anyway).

Paraphrasing here:
Luke: "So it (the force) controls your actions"
Ben: "Partially, but it also obeys your commands."

There's a magical or spiritual dimension to the force. Sometimes it takes over your body. Rey can't explain what's happening to her. The force is in many ways instinctive, that's why the jedi need to meditate and s**t so they can learn to control and harness the power.

I actually agree, she was slightly over-powered, especially in a narrative sense. But other than the mind-trick, it's not totally out of place in the in-universe logic.

- Make Obi Wan the main hero of the trilogy. Have Obi Wan go onto Naboo and Qui Gon stay on the ship. Qui Gon = the wise old mentor, Obi Wan = reckless, idealistic, starry eyed young jedi.
- Create a love triangle between Obi Wan, Anakin and Padame. This would add some human drama to Anakin's ultimate betrayal and turn to the dark side.
- Have Mace Windu believe he is chosen one, this gives a reason for his resentment towards Anakin and creates more human drama.
- Have the Clones be the Separatists' army, therefore Chancellor Palpatine is forced to recruit Storm-troopers (normal blokes who take up service to defend the Republic) and build Star Destroyers in order to fight the Clones.
- Have Anakin hunt down the Jedi rather than the Clone brain chip thing, until he meets Obi Wan who defeats him.Get rid of the child murder thing.

Obi Wan as the main character would also have made for much better synergy across the series. George Lucas always said it was the story of Anakin Skywalker across 6 films, having it told from Obi Wan's perspective and then Luke's would have made much more sense from a sylistic point of view, and preserved the mystery of Vader/Anakin. Instead, we discover that the greatest villian in sci-fi history 'doesn't like sand'. Ffs George.

Also, he shouldn't have bailed on Darth Jar Jar. Would have been incredible, whether good or bad I'm not sure, but definitely entertaining.

When Luke gets the light saber at the start of ESB, no-one taught him that (on-screen anyway).

Paraphrasing here:
Luke: "So it (the force) controls your actions"
Ben: "Partially, but it also obeys your commands."

There's a magical or spiritual dimension to the force. Sometimes it takes over your body. Rey can't explain what's happening to her. The force is in many ways instinctive, that's why the jedi need to meditate and s**t so they can learn to control and harness the power.

I actually agree, she was slightly over-powered, especially in a narrative sense. But other than the mind-trick, it's not totally out of place in the in-universe logic.
The only reason people complain about Rey is because she's a woman. I mean c'mon, its Star Wars ffs. Luke and Anakin are probably the two least believable heroes ever, who literally bring down empires by themselves, but we love the films because its ****ing great fun. Anakin is literally 'the chosen one', but then Rey comes a long and is similarly powerful and a bunch of (male) armchair critics are suddenly like "its not realistic". Of course it isn't. Its Star Wars. Its supposed to be fun not 'realistic', George Lucas wrote it.

I liked that they balances the new characters and the development of them, against the old ones. That said, their development was a bit rushed, and I didn't like the idea of starkiller base (again? really?), and they should of indroduced han solo earlier (say a scene with him putting those creatures into load or something) before they met up, so that it didn't look some ridiculously stupid plot device that he just appeared in space - seriously, that was dumb.

I am looking forward to the new one, already having that 'getting to know you' phase out. My hope is that once the second and third one has played, the first one will look a much better movie.

The main two characters affinity to the force is OK by me, I guess the believe in the series is that everyone is able to use the force, most do it unconsciously, some are more sensitive to it than others based on how many midi-awatchits they have. In the series, those with very high levels or those can do things without training, usually its visions and smaller feats. Her fighting off kylo mentally is a little bit of kylo not being a grand master, and her already having a pretty resilient mental strengths from her childhood, just amplified by what seems to be a stupid amount of force sensitivity.

One change I would make.

(Thank you interwebz)

I agree with all, except for the clones bit, they made order 66 more feasible.

I agree with all, except for the clones bit, they made order 66 more feasible.
I'd have preferred they f***ed order 66 off entirely.

Inquisitors and hunt down remaining Jedi after a huge battle would have left much more to the anthology movies.

FWIW I would have zero issues with them looking to do some remakes.

I'd have preferred they f***ed order 66 off entirely.

Inquisitors and hunt down remaining Jedi after a huge battle would have left much more to the anthology movies.

FWIW I would have zero issues with them looking to do some remakes.
That would have been messy as **** without that order. Most of the inquisitors were fairly average. Order 66 was very Sidious/emperor like and allowed him to achieve his goals a lot more easily.

That would have been messy as **** without that order. Most of the inquisitors were fairly average. Order 66 was very Sidious/emperor like and allowed him to achieve his goals a lot more easily.

An all out battle where clones outnumbered Jedi 100 f*** even 1000 to 1 after the Jedi were drawn to basically all be at one place at one time.

The Empire born out of a huge showing of absolute might.

Something that they then relentlessly pursued through technology.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a couple of dodgy continuity problems between the prequels and the originals. Everyone knows the "I remember my mother" one.

But these have always bugged me too:
- "Vader helped the empire hunt down and destroy the jedi knights"
- "Your father wanted you have this when you were old enough but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He didn't believe in your father's ideals, thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved."
- "He was the best star pilot in the galaxy"
- R2D2's seeming loss of his flying ability.

Now all of these can be rationalised to make sense "from a certain point of view", but they don't feel right and you have to think them away. Vader hunting down the jedi a bit more in Episode 3 would have made more sense to me. The Order 66 montage actually works really well as a sequence in the film (one of the better parts of the film to be honest) but I feel like each jedi's shock as Anakin turned on them would also work well.

There's a couple of dodgy continuity problems between the prequels and the originals. Everyone knows the "I remember my mother" one.

But these have always bugged me too:
- "Vader helped the empire hunt down and destroy the jedi knights"
- "Your father wanted you have this when you were old enough but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He didn't believe in your father's ideals, thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved."
- "He was the best star pilot in the galaxy"
- R2D2's seeming loss of his flying ability.

Now all of these can be rationalised to make sense "from a certain point of view", but they don't feel right and you have to think them away. Vader hunting down the jedi a bit more in Episode 3 would have made more sense to me. The Order 66 montage actually works really well as a sequence in the film (one of the better parts of the film to be honest) but I feel like each jedi's shock as Anakin turned on them would also work well.
Problem is, the Jedi were spread out across the galaxy, they all could have done a yoda or a luke. We all know how much trouble the empire has tracking one Jedi in luke.

The clones were beneficial as they were with every single Jedi, were programmed with chips to carry out orders without question, while regular soldiers would hesitate quite often, and being clones, not regular soldiers, there would be little war strain on society, compared to regular soldiers dying from the local community, turning the people against the emperor.

The clones made sense for so many reasons and were perfect for the emperor's plans.

Problem is, the Jedi were spread out across the galaxy, they all could have done a yoda or a luke. We all know how much trouble the empire has tracking one Jedi in luke.

The clones were beneficial as they were with every single Jedi, were programmed with chips to carry out orders without question, while regular soldiers would hesitate quite often, and being clones, not regular soldiers, there would be little war strain on society, compared to regular soldiers dying from the local community, turning the people against the emperor.

The clones made sense for so many reasons and were perfect for the emperor's plans.

If I were writing the prequels I'd have reduced the number of jedi. I understand that relatively speaking there's an infinitesimal number of jedi as far as the whole galaxy is concerned (corusant has like 6 trillion people or whatever and that's just one planet). I don't know, Order 66 is a good scene and it's the Emperor's "red wedding" moment. I just think Vader pre-fight with Obi Wan, hunting down jedi makes sense to me. Would have worked better to show his transformation into "Vader" than the child killing scene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back