Socceroos flight vs aussie rules flight

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it is around 11th in revenue and higher in attendance and membership, and yes, it is amazing given the population.

Mostly it is because of being one of history's few winners in terms of sporting culture in that we have as our dominant code a game we created here
Biggest Domestic Professional Sporting Comps By Revenue.
1.NFL
2. Major league Baseball
3. NBA
4. EPL
5. National Ice Hockey League USA
6. German Football
7. Italian Football
8. Spanish Football
9. French Football
10. Japan Baseball comp.
11. Brazilian Football
12. Russian Premier League
13. EFL
14. Korean Professional Baseball
15. USA Major League Soccer
16. Japanese Football
17. Turkisk Football
18. St.Korean Football
19. Mexican Football
20. IPL
21. AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

Cricket would be second world wide or close to it due to the massive Indian/Pakistani support, would be a toss up anyway between Cricket and Basketball IMO.
ROFL basketball and cricket are behind soccer in Australia

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mate, i can post articles saying the same for the Tour, these things are all pretty much guess work and opinion, no one knows the true numbers because most Asian - South American and African ratings estimates make ours look like an exact science.

But what we do know is tbe Tour basically obliterates the WC in terms of attendance, that is fact, so the Tour is the winner on that measure, but the real winner out of that is France as these aren't sold tickets.

If we're talking peak ratings then many believe the cricket WC is the winner, a semi final match a while back had estimated ratings of over a billion, Soccer just can't match those numbers, not without 2 massive Asian nations going head to head in a final with a favourable timeslot.

Cumulative ratings, maybe the WC wins this, but my money would be on the NBA, because as you said, the WC group stages are part of the WC, and if that's the case tbe NBA regular season is part of the NBA playoffs, and there's no chance the WC gets anywhere near a combined 4 years of NBA.

So based over 4 years, you're trippin.

Come on Frank, Seriously quoting unpaying spectator numbers that have no way of being collated. Should we start counting the punters that turn up to World Cup just for the atmosphere but can't afford to attend a game, I could pluck a number out of my freckle and quote that as well,

Peak ratings and A semi final, I think your initial comment in response to a comment on the biggest or largest sporting event not a particular part of one that now suits your debate.

I'm going to leave it alone now because I've probably wasted a collective 15minutes of my life on this. The big footy community can read your next insightful and breath a sigh of relief that it will end there.

Go outside, there's a nice moon out.

Come on Frank, Seriously quoting unpaying spectator numbers that have no way of being collated. Should we start counting the punters that turn up to World Cup just for the atmosphere but can't afford to attend a game, I could pluck a number out of my freckle and quote that as well,

Peak ratings and A semi final, I think your initial comment in response to a comment on the biggest or largest sporting event not a particular part of one that now suits your debate.

I'm going to leave it alone now because I've probably wasted a collective 15minutes of my life on this. The big footy community can read your next insightful and breath a sigh of relief that it will end there.

Go outside, there's a nice moon out.
To be fair you're using points that suit your argument as well, as in using WC qualifiers in the years leading up to a WC, i'm just saying if you count them you have to count the NBA regular season as well, and over 4 years the WC wouldn't come close to beating it.

IMO it doesn't matter if the NBA have a playoff every week, what matters is what the competition nets over the 4 years, a better example for may have been the European cup (or what ever it's called), and TBH i CBF looking up how that compares to the NBA.

Cricket would be second world wide or close to it due to the massive Indian/Pakistani support, would be a toss up anyway between Cricket and Basketball IMO.
Unlikely. Plenty of large countries prefer basketball and have no idea about cricket - Brazil, China, Indonesia, USA

Unlikely. Plenty of large countries prefer basketball and have no idea about cricket - Brazil, China, Indonesia, USA
China and Indonesia aren't big basketball nations though, Cricket is a religion in India and Pakistan and that's almost a 3rd of the worlds population there with Bangladesh added.

Countries like the USA have their sporting loyalties divided, Basketball-Baseball-Gridiron-Ice Hockey, India and Pakistan couldn't give a flying * about anything other than Cricket, Field Hockey is pretty much the only other sport they play.

Last edited:
China and Indonesia aren't big basketball nations though, Cricket is a religion in India and Pakistan and that's almost a 3rd of the worlds population there with Bangladesh added.

Countries like the USA have their sporting loyalties divided, Basketball-Baseball-Gridiron-Ice Hockey, India and Pakistan couldn't give a flying **** about anything other than Cricket, Field Hockey is pretty much the only other sport they play.
I would say in China Basketball is sport #2. Indonesia I'm not sure what their #1 sport is even.

Biggest Domestic Professional Sporting Comps By Revenue.
1.NFL
2. Major league Baseball
3. NBA
4. EPL
5. National Ice Hockey League USA
6. German Football
7. Italian Football
8. Spanish Football
9. French Football
10. Japan Baseball comp.
11. Brazilian Football
12. Russian Premier League
13. EFL
14. Korean Professional Baseball
15. USA Major League Soccer
16. Japanese Football
17. Turkisk Football
18. St.Korean Football
19. Mexican Football
20. IPL
21. AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

Ahhh, I reckon you've lifted that from Wiki, no?

Problem with that list is, for the Australian sporting leagues, for some reason they use the League bodies revenues and ignore the clubs's revenues. For the others it is total league plus club revenues. At worst, the $1.2B the AFL plus clubs turned over in 2016 would have it 12th. Given that was the last year of the old TV rights deal, plus Etihad purchase, large attendance and membership growth this year, that figure is set to jump to $1.5B. So I'm sticking with 12th at the very least but probably 11th. You've come in from over 50 to 21 thus far, but you've a fair way to go yet....but why would you resist? As an Australian, having by far the biggest domestic sporting comp outside of countries with ~60 plus million people (and probably having the NRL in the top 20 as well) should be something to be proud of no?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer i think, but yeah not 100% sure either.

What's the no1 sport in China? Table Tennis?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_China

According to the Chinese Basketball Association, there is a record number of around 300 million active basketball players in Asia.[1][2] The largest audience for an event outside of China was drawn at the Yao Ming & Yi Jianlian matchup when 100–200 million Chinese watched live.[3][4]

Virtually the whole nation stands glued to their television sets, amid parties and wild celebrations.[4]

The largest audience for a single sporting event within the boundaries of mainland China was a football match in the Tianhe Stadium in Guangzhou.[5] Football is a popular sport.[citation needed] The average attendance of the Chinese Super League games in 2015 was 22,193 spectators.

I think it's 1. soccer 2. basketball
Really no clear winner and not really anything that dominates. With the government pushing soccer strongly though you would expect it to become much more popular. Racket sports are huge also. My old housemate who lived there pretty much said sports interests in China is similar to what netball is here. Times the population by 50 and it's fairly popular but still plays very little role in day to day life. Any team or individual representing the country is huge though.

Cricket is understated simply because India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are poor nations. Indias population alone is similar to Europe and South America's combined.
Soccer though is undoubtedly the biggest sport and daylight being the clear second but as cricket is understated soccer is over. Soccer is probably more popular in Australia then it is in 6 of the 8 most populous countries of the world

It's huge in china and the Phillipines number 1 sport I would guess. It is a hell of a lot of the worlds second or third sport

If China got ratings of 200 million for a Basketball game i'd comfortably say that is their national sport, that's around 15% of their population which is enormous for a country not known for their love of sport.

Who cares? i suppose if you follow soccer you can get your rocks off, but here in Oz, it's not even a contest.

Most of the planet cares. There is more to the world than Australia believe it or not. Now put your fox hat back on and go on telling me how fully sick you are.

Most of the planet cares. There is more to the world than Australia believe it or not. Now put your fox hat back on and go on telling me how fully sick you are.
LMAO
here we are on a footy forum and you're telling me you care about soccer and how good it is, like i said earlier, if it gets your rocks off, good for you, but here in OZ, soccer is a minnow sport.

LMAO
here we are on a footy forum and you're telling me you care about soccer and how good it is, like i said earlier, if it gets your rocks off, good for you, but here in OZ, soccer is a minnow sport.

As much as you and other footy bogans wish this were true, it's not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back